Hard-drive corruption question

M Skabialka

Hard-drive corruption question
I have a hard drive that stopped functioning when other hardware was added
to the system. I ran diagnostics from the manufacturer website which said
nothing was wrong. I have added that drive to three other computers as a
primary or slave, or in an external USB case. Each time the computer will
not boot past the intial windows flag screen, and BSOD shows errors in
ntfs.sys. If I boot to any non-ntfs boot disk (like the diagnostics) the
computer does not crash, but any ntfs disk (including the Windows CD)
crashes with the BSOD. I downloaded an ntfs reader which in a crude
DOS-like format shows that the files are still intact, but I don't know how
to view the file system and replace ntfs.sys without booting to ntfs which
crashes the system.

Is there a utility out there to replace ntfs.sys without booting to ntfs?
The ntfs reader will only copy from NTFS to a FAT partition, so I can't copy
from one ntfs drive to the other in a 2 drive system.
Mich

Curious

Re: Hard-drive corruption question
Are you trying to boot from the drive? If so the problem is probably that
the boot sector on the drive is not the correct one for your Systems BIOS
and you will need to run a repair installation using your OS installation
disk or possibly running repair from an F8 boot.

"M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
> I have a hard drive that stopped functioning when other hardware was added
> to the system. I ran diagnostics from the manufacturer website which said
> nothing was wrong. I have added that drive to three other computers as a
> primary or slave, or in an external USB case. Each time the computer will
> not boot past the intial windows flag screen, and BSOD shows errors in
> ntfs.sys. If I boot to any non-ntfs boot disk (like the diagnostics) the
> computer does not crash, but any ntfs disk (including the Windows CD)
> crashes with the BSOD. I downloaded an ntfs reader which in a crude
> DOS-like format shows that the files are still intact, but I don't know
> how to view the file system and replace ntfs.sys without booting to ntfs
> which crashes the system.
>
> Is there a utility out there to replace ntfs.sys without booting to ntfs?
> The ntfs reader will only copy from NTFS to a FAT partition, so I can't
> copy from one ntfs drive to the other in a 2 drive system.
> Mich

Anna

Re: Hard-drive corruption question

"M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
>I have a hard drive that stopped functioning when other hardware was added
>to the system. I ran diagnostics from the manufacturer website which said
>nothing was wrong. I have added that drive to three other computers as a
>primary or slave, or in an external USB case. Each time the computer will
>not boot past the intial windows flag screen, and BSOD shows errors in
>ntfs.sys. If I boot to any non-ntfs boot disk (like the diagnostics) the
>computer does not crash, but any ntfs disk (including the Windows CD)
>crashes with the BSOD. I downloaded an ntfs reader which in a crude
>DOS-like format shows that the files are still intact, but I don't know how
>to view the file system and replace ntfs.sys without booting to ntfs which
>crashes the system.
>
> Is there a utility out there to replace ntfs.sys without booting to ntfs?
> The ntfs reader will only copy from NTFS to a FAT partition, so I can't
> copy from one ntfs drive to the other in a 2 drive system.
> Mich

Mich...
What, precisely, is your objective here? Can we assume that at this point
you're basically interested in accessing the data on that HDD, copying
whatever data you need or want, after which you can then simply re:format
the disk so that you can subsequently use it as a secondary HDD in one of
your systems? Is that a reasonable/practical objective for you at this time?

We'll assume that the HDD is non-defective based on the results of the HDD
diagnostic utility from the disk's manufacturer. Can we assume you ran the
complete suite of tests including the "long" or detailed version of the
diagnostic utility, not merely the "short" version?

With the "problem" HDD installed as a USB device, but not connected/powered
on, what happens when you boot to your system and *then* connect/power on
the USB external HDD? Does the system then detect the USB device and can you
access the HDD under those circumstances?
Anna

Harry

On May 27, 9:31*am, "M Skabialka" <mskabia...@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote:

> Is there a utility out there to replace ntfs.sys without booting to ntfs?
> The ntfs reader will only copy from NTFS to a FAT partition, so I can't copy
> from one ntfs drive to the other in a 2 drive system.
> Mich

google "enable ntfs write" ....
will give you knoppix.
u need to try it yourself.
Markmckee601

Harry wrote:
> On May 27, 9:31 am, "M Skabialka" <mskabia...@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a utility out there to replace ntfs.sys without booting to ntfs?
>> The ntfs reader will only copy from NTFS to a FAT partition, so I can't copy
>> from one ntfs drive to the other in a 2 drive system.
>> Mich

> google "enable ntfs write" ....
> will give you knoppix.
> u need to try it yourself.

I can only assume that you have ran only the short/quick test using the
diagnostics from the manufacturer as most of them require write access
to the drive.

In my experience if i have any problems like you have mentioned i would
either boot to a live cd of linux or boot to UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD).
This rules out an OS issue and you can also check the hard drive and the
ntfs filesystem.

To check the hard drive using UBCD there is a nice utility called
Salvation but there are others as well.

Here's a link
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

If you can't access the NTFS partition using Windows i would try a live
cd version of linux or you can install linux on a usb pendrive, i have
found that it can mount pretty much anything you throw at it including
NTFS partitions.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Hope this helps.

Comptia A+ Certified
Gerry

Re: Hard-drive corruption question
You have not posted a complete copy of the Stop Error Report. Please do
so making it clear where the drive is located when the Stop Error report
is generated,

What function did this drive serve before you started your changes? I am
not sure that taking a bootable hard drive from one computer and putting
it in another computer can be expected to boot.. In the second computer
it can only be expected to be accessible for the purpose of working with
data files.

What is the drive make and model? What type of cabling is being used to
connect the drive to the motherboard?

Is the hard drive recognised by the BIOS?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M Skabialka wrote:
> I have a hard drive that stopped functioning when other hardware was
> added to the system. I ran diagnostics from the manufacturer website
> which said nothing was wrong. I have added that drive to three other
> computers as a primary or slave, or in an external USB case. Each
> time the computer will not boot past the intial windows flag screen,
> and BSOD shows errors in ntfs.sys. If I boot to any non-ntfs boot
> disk (like the diagnostics) the computer does not crash, but any ntfs
> disk (including the Windows CD) crashes with the BSOD. I downloaded
> an ntfs reader which in a crude DOS-like format shows that the files
> are still intact, but I don't know how to view the file system and
> replace ntfs.sys without booting to ntfs which crashes the system.
>
> Is there a utility out there to replace ntfs.sys without booting to
> ntfs? The ntfs reader will only copy from NTFS to a FAT partition, so
> I can't copy from one ntfs drive to the other in a 2 drive system.
> Mich

M Skabialka

Re: Hard-drive corruption question
Yes, I am trying to recover data, and since the drive seems OK will then
reformat and reuse the drive.
I ran the long diagnostics test.
I booted a machine with XP on it, then connected the problem drive in an
external bay through USB. I got the Detecting new hardware message, then it
recognized the drive make and model, then the computer shut down suddenly.

"Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

> "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
>>I have a hard drive that stopped functioning when other hardware was added
>>to the system. I ran diagnostics from the manufacturer website which said
>>nothing was wrong. I have added that drive to three other computers as a
>>primary or slave, or in an external USB case. Each time the computer will
>>not boot past the intial windows flag screen, and BSOD shows errors in
>>ntfs.sys. If I boot to any non-ntfs boot disk (like the diagnostics) the
>>computer does not crash, but any ntfs disk (including the Windows CD)
>>crashes with the BSOD. I downloaded an ntfs reader which in a crude
>>DOS-like format shows that the files are still intact, but I don't know
>>how to view the file system and replace ntfs.sys without booting to ntfs
>>which crashes the system.
>>
>> Is there a utility out there to replace ntfs.sys without booting to ntfs?
>> The ntfs reader will only copy from NTFS to a FAT partition, so I can't
>> copy from one ntfs drive to the other in a 2 drive system.
>> Mich

> Mich...
> What, precisely, is your objective here? Can we assume that at this point
> you're basically interested in accessing the data on that HDD, copying
> whatever data you need or want, after which you can then simply re:format
> the disk so that you can subsequently use it as a secondary HDD in one of
> your systems? Is that a reasonable/practical objective for you at this
> time?
>
> We'll assume that the HDD is non-defective based on the results of the HDD
> diagnostic utility from the disk's manufacturer. Can we assume you ran the
> complete suite of tests including the "long" or detailed version of the
> diagnostic utility, not merely the "short" version?
>
> With the "problem" HDD installed as a USB device, but not
> connected/powered on, what happens when you boot to your system and *then*
> connect/power on the USB external HDD? Does the system then detect the USB
> device and can you access the HDD under those circumstances?
> Anna

M Skabialka

Re: Hard-drive corruption question
I have tried booting from the drive, booting a machine with this drive as
the slave, and booting a machine and then connecting this through USB. In
all cases the computer crashes.
F8 booting in safe mode crashes.
Booting from the OS CD and choosing repair crashes.

"Curious" <spammenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Are you trying to boot from the drive? If so the problem is probably that
> the boot sector on the drive is not the correct one for your Systems BIOS
> and you will need to run a repair installation using your OS installation
> disk or possibly running repair from an F8 boot.
>
> "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
>> I have a hard drive that stopped functioning when other hardware was
>> added to the system. I ran diagnostics from the manufacturer website
>> which said nothing was wrong. I have added that drive to three other
>> computers as a primary or slave, or in an external USB case. Each time
>> the computer will not boot past the intial windows flag screen, and BSOD
>> shows errors in ntfs.sys. If I boot to any non-ntfs boot disk (like the
>> diagnostics) the computer does not crash, but any ntfs disk (including
>> the Windows CD) crashes with the BSOD. I downloaded an ntfs reader which
>> in a crude DOS-like format shows that the files are still intact, but I
>> don't know how to view the file system and replace ntfs.sys without
>> booting to ntfs which crashes the system.
>>
>> Is there a utility out there to replace ntfs.sys without booting to ntfs?
>> The ntfs reader will only copy from NTFS to a FAT partition, so I can't
>> copy from one ntfs drive to the other in a 2 drive system.
>> Mich

M Skabialka

Re: Hard-drive corruption question
Stop error 0x00000024 on ntfs.sys. This was in a desktop computer with ms
office and the usual programs. I tried booting it in the computer it came
from. All other tests were in another computer. It is a Western Digital
IDE drive and was working for two years before the sudden crash when a new
AGP video card was installed. Yes it is recognized in BIOS.

"Gerry" <gerry@nospam.com> wrote in message
> You have not posted a complete copy of the Stop Error Report. Please do so
> making it clear where the drive is located when the Stop Error report is
> generated,
>
> What function did this drive serve before you started your changes? I am
> not sure that taking a bootable hard drive from one computer and putting
> it in another computer can be expected to boot.. In the second computer it
> can only be expected to be accessible for the purpose of working with data
> files.
>
> What is the drive make and model? What type of cabling is being used to
> connect the drive to the motherboard?
>
> Is the hard drive recognised by the BIOS?
>

> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> M Skabialka wrote:
>> I have a hard drive that stopped functioning when other hardware was
>> added to the system. I ran diagnostics from the manufacturer website
>> which said nothing was wrong. I have added that drive to three other
>> computers as a primary or slave, or in an external USB case. Each
>> time the computer will not boot past the intial windows flag screen,
>> and BSOD shows errors in ntfs.sys. If I boot to any non-ntfs boot
>> disk (like the diagnostics) the computer does not crash, but any ntfs
>> disk (including the Windows CD) crashes with the BSOD. I downloaded
>> an ntfs reader which in a crude DOS-like format shows that the files
>> are still intact, but I don't know how to view the file system and
>> replace ntfs.sys without booting to ntfs which crashes the system.
>>
>> Is there a utility out there to replace ntfs.sys without booting to
>> ntfs? The ntfs reader will only copy from NTFS to a FAT partition, so
>> I can't copy from one ntfs drive to the other in a 2 drive system.
>> Mich

Curious

Re: Hard-drive corruption question
If you remove the all of the "added hardware" you referred to can you get
back to booting your system with just it's original drive? If yes you might
try running checkdisk on the working system