*Spent Entire Sunday* on this, (User Account Control)-please help :(

xxsassxx31

*Spent Entire Sunday* on this, (User Account Control)-please help :(

Hi everyone, I will try to be as brief as possible with this but I want
to make sure I explain all the details as I am stuck and not knowing
what to do at about 8 PM when tomorrow is a workday . Anyways...

Windows Platform: 32xVista, Comp: HP 6700 ; To start off, I was an
idiot and was installing some program a friend had given to me and it
required "New SID" from Microsoft and I did brief (obviously too brief)
research on Microsoft's site and I went to install it. It sat there for
literally an hour and I thought the process had froze but did not know
what to do so I ended up ending the task from the task manager... and
when I restarted....boom! Everything changed and disappeared...

So on my desktop everything with the appearance changed and I am
shocked to discover that I no longer have Administrator access, my
useraccount *User* has only guest privileges (and I went online and
spent hours today doing a search with people with similar problems) and
went through Safemode....went through other procedures to try to access
my account but I'm unable to! The weirdest thing is that I am able to
log on to the "Administrator" account when I am in safe mode but, and a
big but.....my Admin account in safe mode is also under Guest status and
I can't do anything to stop it!

Under "Users" folder I can view all the user accounts I see the
following: ADMINI~1, Administrator (recently created & showing),
Default, Public, Roaming, *User Account*, *UserAccount.UserAccount-PC* &
NTUser.dat; now...I had a fingerprint reader (the Microsoft one)
installed from before and the weird thing is whenever it asks me for
administrator permission access, it asks me to input my fingerprint but
when I do, now it doesn't work! In Administrator mode that I was
in....it wouldn't even have that and it would be blank and wouldn't let
me click on "ok" to give me admin. access.

I also don't have access to the *UserAccount* folder that used to be
the one I always used and had access to and while I am logging on that
same name....it appears that I am using *UserAccount.UserAccount-PC* .

Other than that, I have my current SID# but am I somehow able to change
my SID# to the previous one and is there a way I can find out what that
# was???

I have VERY Super Important files so I can't just reformat it without
losing my important data files....I don't mind losing the program files
and to reinstall each and every program (as long as I am able to get a
list of the names of the programs) if possible.....but save my data and
then reformat....but someone please help me as I don't know what else to
do. I am pretty computer savvy but I am just stuck out of options....any
help? Thanks again in advance for anyone willing to try to help me, I
want to pull my hair out! Again thanks so much, and I appreciate the
help..

--
xxsassxx31
xxsassxx31

Re: *Spent Entire Sunday* on this, (User Account Control)-please help :(

Any help would be appreciated... Anyway I can save my important
files and format? thx again

--
xxsassxx31
Tom

Re: *Spent Entire Sunday* on this, (User Account Control)-please help :(
Hi,

The easiest way is, IMO, to take out the hard disk and plug it to another
computer to get the files you want. And then put the hard disk back and
reinstall from the hp recovery cd. If you have another identical hp in the
office, just clone the hard disk from the other hp.

Or if you want to do a better job, make an image of the hard disk first (if
the hd is small) before you take it out and plug it to another computer.

"xxsassxx31" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> same name....it appears that I am using *UserAccount.UserAccount-PC* .
>
> Other than that, I have my current SID# but am I somehow able to change
> my SID# to the previous one and is there a way I can find out what that
> # was???
>
> I have VERY Super Important files so I can't just reformat it without
> losing my important data files....I don't mind losing the program files
> and to reinstall each and every program (as long as I am able to get a
> list of the names of the programs) if possible.....but save my data and
> then reformat....but someone please help me as I don't know what else to
> do. I am pretty computer savvy but I am just stuck out of options....any
> help? Thanks again in advance for anyone willing to try to help me, I
> want to pull my hair out! Again thanks so much, and I appreciate the

Rick Rogers

Re: *Spent Entire Sunday* on this, (User Account Control)-please help :(
Hi,

Reinstall without formatting. The contents of the existing installation will
be moved to a windows.old folder on the root of the drive where you can
later recover data.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/