Unable to format Seagate 1.5 GB internal drives

JB14

Unable to format Seagate 1.5 GB internal drives

I have a Vista Ultimate 64 bit system using an ASUS striker II formula
MB, Intel core 2 quad 2.66 mh CPU, 8 GB RAM. It was setup with 2 320 GB
Seagate drives and a 500 GB Seagate drive in a RAID. A week and a half
ago when shutting down the system, I got the install updates message. I
clicked OK. Upon return, I found the system still running showing the
BIOS screen. After reboot, I had a no operating system error. Using
the Vista DVD to attempt repair, yielded a corrupt partition error. I
attempted to reinstall Vista on one 320 GB drive. This gave a disk
boot failure. After trying this and that, I ran chkdsk during boot
which fixed the error.
I want to recover my data. To facilitate recovery, I purchased 2 1.5
GB Seagate drives. I have attempted to format the drives using computer
management and safe mode with command prompt. The drives will get to
73% format but no farther. Please suggest a solution. I am not a
computer expert. Thank you. JB

--
JB14
R. C. White

Re: Unable to format Seagate 1.5 GB internal drives
Hi, JB14.

Looks like your fingers - like mine quite often - are so used to typing "GB"
that "TB" often comes out wrong. :^{ I'm assuming that your new Seagates
are 1.5 terabyte each, not 1.5 gigabyte.

My 1 TB Seagate Barracuda is about a year old now and has given me no
problems. My system also has a 200 GB Maxtor and 2 matched 300 GB Seagate
Barracudas in a RAID 1 mirror. All are SATA II drives.

I've never had a larger drive than this 1 TB, but I've read that Seagate had
some problems with SOME models of its 1.5 TB drives. The problem seems to
have been fixed now, but you MAY have one of the specific models and you may
need a firmware update.

As always, it's best to start at the source, with the company that made the
drives:
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/

Seagate's SeaTools program is available at that site and will do a good job
of analyzing your drives. If they fail the SeaTools test, Seagate will
offer an RMA (Return Materials Authorization) so that you can return them
for replacement under Seagate's excellent warranty.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"JB14" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have a Vista Ultimate 64 bit system using an ASUS striker II formula
> MB, Intel core 2 quad 2.66 mh CPU, 8 GB RAM. It was setup with 2 320 GB
> Seagate drives and a 500 GB Seagate drive in a RAID. A week and a half
> ago when shutting down the system, I got the install updates message. I
> clicked OK. Upon return, I found the system still running showing the
> BIOS screen. After reboot, I had a no operating system error. Using
> the Vista DVD to attempt repair, yielded a corrupt partition error. I
> attempted to reinstall Vista on one 320 GB drive. This gave a disk
> boot failure. After trying this and that, I ran chkdsk during boot
> which fixed the error.
> I want to recover my data. To facilitate recovery, I purchased 2 1.5
> GB Seagate drives. I have attempted to format the drives using computer
> management and safe mode with command prompt. The drives will get to
> 73% format but no farther. Please suggest a solution. I am not a
> computer expert. Thank you. JB
>

> --
> JB14

LVTravel

Re: Unable to format Seagate 1.5 GB internal drives

"JB14" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have a Vista Ultimate 64 bit system using an ASUS striker II formula
> MB, Intel core 2 quad 2.66 mh CPU, 8 GB RAM. It was setup with 2 320 GB
> Seagate drives and a 500 GB Seagate drive in a RAID. A week and a half
> ago when shutting down the system, I got the install updates message. I
> clicked OK. Upon return, I found the system still running showing the
> BIOS screen. After reboot, I had a no operating system error. Using
> the Vista DVD to attempt repair, yielded a corrupt partition error. I
> attempted to reinstall Vista on one 320 GB drive. This gave a disk
> boot failure. After trying this and that, I ran chkdsk during boot
> which fixed the error.
> I want to recover my data. To facilitate recovery, I purchased 2 1.5
> GB Seagate drives. I have attempted to format the drives using computer
> management and safe mode with command prompt. The drives will get to
> 73% format but no farther. Please suggest a solution. I am not a
> computer expert. Thank you. JB
>

> --
> JB14

If you have an nVidia chipset in the computer there is a known error between
an older chipset driver and the Seagate 1.5 TB drives.

Read here for information as I had the issue with a new drive from Seagate.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...Vidia+1 .5+TB

This will also tell you how to format the drive for Vista 64 bit.

Hope this helps, let us know.

R. C. White

Re: Unable to format Seagate 1.5 GB internal drives
Hi, LVTravel.

Thanks for jumping in. THAT's the reference I was looking for. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message

> "JB14" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have a Vista Ultimate 64 bit system using an ASUS striker II formula
>> MB, Intel core 2 quad 2.66 mh CPU, 8 GB RAM. It was setup with 2 320 GB
>> Seagate drives and a 500 GB Seagate drive in a RAID. A week and a half
>> ago when shutting down the system, I got the install updates message. I
>> clicked OK. Upon return, I found the system still running showing the
>> BIOS screen. After reboot, I had a no operating system error. Using
>> the Vista DVD to attempt repair, yielded a corrupt partition error. I
>> attempted to reinstall Vista on one 320 GB drive. This gave a disk
>> boot failure. After trying this and that, I ran chkdsk during boot
>> which fixed the error.
>> I want to recover my data. To facilitate recovery, I purchased 2 1.5
>> GB Seagate drives. I have attempted to format the drives using computer
>> management and safe mode with command prompt. The drives will get to
>> 73% format but no farther. Please suggest a solution. I am not a
>> computer expert. Thank you. JB
>>

>> --
>> JB14

> If you have an nVidia chipset in the computer there is a known error
> between an older chipset driver and the Seagate 1.5 TB drives.
>
> Read here for information as I had the issue with a new drive from
> Seagate.
>
> http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...Vidia+1 .5+TB
>
> This will also tell you how to format the drive for Vista 64 bit.
>
> Hope this helps, let us know.

JB14

Re: Unable to format Seagate 1.5 GB internal drives

R. C. White and LVTravel,

Thank you for the information. I have an appliance to allow connecting
HD to USB. I used my laptop with Win XP OS to format each drive through
the USB. Now the Desktop running on Win Vista recognizes the drives. I
have been spending the last few days trying to recover my documents.
This is painful enough to make Apple inexpensive. Thanks again. JB

--
JB14