Join Date: May 2009
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista driver issues on New PC Build
Please bear with me and read this I know it is long but it has everything that I have tried and any useful information. Please Help
Ok I have purchased and put together my system and have had several issues wanted to list to see what troubleshooting ideas or fixes people might have as far as solutions for these issues.
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366
Memory: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (X2 for a total of 12GB RAM)
Graphics: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Sound: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Optical Drives: LG Black Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive SATA Model
Sony Optiarc DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model
HDDs: Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s (OS Drive)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s (X2)
PSU: Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC
CPU Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS9900LED 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
Card Reader: Rosewill RCR-102 52-in-1 USB 2.0
OS: Windows Vista Ultimate X64
Process after reciving items from Newegg
In exact order of what was done. (Kind of long but it will give all info they anybody may need and maybe somebody will see somthing I overlooked)
1. Unpacked, inspected, and inventoried.
2. Setup case (installed standoffs and rear I/O pane)
3. Unpacked motherboard, Inventoried Parts, installed processor.
4. Installed Motherboard/CPU into case.
5. Installed Memory onto motherboard.
6. Connected USB, Firewire, Power, Reset, HDD LED, rear LCD, and LCD Poster to motherboard.
7. Installed HDD's into Drive Cage.
8. Installed CPU cooler.
9. Installed PSU
10. connected SATA and Power to HDD's
11. Connected Processor 8-pin and motherboard power 24-pin
12. Connected BD-Rom burner and DVD-ROM burner to sata and power
13. Installed BD-Rom burner and DVD-ROM burner in 5.25" Drive bays
14. Installed GPU into PCI-e x16 slot
15. Connected GPU to Power x2 6pin
16. Installed SB X-FI card into PCI slot
17. Connected power to X-FI card
18. Installed card reader into 3.5" slot
19. Connected case fans to power
20. Connected card reader to USB header
21. Routed cables for airflow.
22. Checked all cables for proper connections x3
23. Re-attached sides to case.
24. Plugged power cable into PSU and Power Outlet
25. Connected keyboard via USB, mouse via USB, graphics connector via DVI-HDMI connector and HDMI cable, and ethernet
26. Powered PSU On
27. Powered PC on and entered BIOS
28. Set date/time, changed storage config from IDE to AHCI, saved and exited
29. Rententered BIOS, changed Onboard devices> HD Audio, and secondary SATA/PATA controller to Disabled
30. Set boot priority to CDROM/HDD/Removable Dev. saved and exited
31. loaded UBCD in primary optical drive and ran MEMTEST86+ for 2 passes no errors
32. Ran CPU Burn-in for 1 hour no errors
33. Loaded Vista Ultimate SP1 OEM into Drive and started install. Installed and activated no Issues.
33a. Entered BIOS swiched boot priority to HDD/CDROM/Removable Dev.
34. Installed motherboard drivers/utilities from supplied disk.
35. Updated motherboard drivers/utilities from Web
36. installed GPU driver from web (ATI not sapphire)
37. Started Install of SB X-FI reached 71% (both factory install disk and web driver) (Installing Audio Drivers) UAC asked permission allowed 30 seconds later it hard froze (only reset buton would work no mouse or keyboard input accepted) see Issue: #2
38. Hard restarted viewed Event Log and recieved a error 11 (HDD issue) See Issue: #1
39. Removed Defective drives.
40. Loaded UBCD and deleted the partition
41. Loaded Vista SP1 OEM Install Disk and setup install (created a new partition and re-formatted drive)
42. Completed steps 34-36 again
43. Disabled UAC
44. restarted and tried installing updates for computer. See Issue: #3
45. Issue: #3 resolved (see below)
46. Started step 37 again and PC Hard Froze at 87% but still installing Audio Drivers
47. Uninstalled ULead BURN.NOW 4.5 restarted issue #4 resolved
48. Hard Re-booted and checked event log no information available. disabled GPU's audio
49. Restarted system loaded BIOS disabled onboard audio saved and exited
50. Deleted all creative files and registry keys restarted system
51. Ran install again same result froze at 87%
52. Restarted into Safe Mode w/ Networking ran install... completed
53. Restarted windows froze in mid boot on the windows loadintg screen x3 (see issue: #2 below)
54. Restarted in Safe Mode Uninstalled the GPU Driver restarted and Froze during loading again
55. Loaded Safe Mode and Removed all motherboard utilities that came with the MB and stopped all startup applications that were for those services.
56. Restarted Same Issue
57. I enabled boot logging but cant find the bootlog.txt file
58. to be continued
NOTE: Temperature is a non-issue CPU:--38c NB:--44c SB:--42c MB:--27c Voltage is also green across the board
POSTED HERE FOR INPUT CONTINUING TROUBLESHOOTING
Issue #1 2 Seagate HDDs Failed
Diagnosis: HDD's were making strange clicking noise shut-off computer disconnected all but one of 3 drives started up and listened for issue. repeated for the other 2 drives. determined that both Seagate HDDs were defective.
Resolution: PENDING: Contacted Seagate for replacement drives and RMA waiting to recieve new drives to determine if issue is resolved
Issue #2 X-FI freezes during driver installation
Diagnosis: First thought it could be a hardware issue. as of step 52 I believe it is a driver conflict... It is NOT a conflict between the GPU driver and the X-FI driver
Issue #3 Windows Updates didn't instal properly
Status: RESOLVED (pending no further occurances)
Diagnosis: Updates would install and go to restart before shutdown it would get to stage 2 of 2 100% then shutdown and restart. When it restarted it would get to Stage 3 of 3 100% and then go to "Updates were not configured properly reverting changes" restart same message into a loop.
Resolution: Restarted in safe mode to get out of loop. Then restarted normally loaded into windows. Downloaded Updates from Windows update catalog and installed individually no issues. then ran Windows Update again installed new updates no issues.
Issue: #4 Optical Disk Drives Eject Randomly Both Drives not limited to single drive.
Status: RESOLVED (pending no further occurances)
Diagnosis: Optical disk drives with eject the tray randomly through out normal operation of the PC. Occurs on Both Drives so not brand or device specific. Both drives are sata drives so it may be related to the way the motherboard and BIOS is handling the sata drives. or could be a software issue with Vista is what I have determined. Event Viewer Error 1060 Application Popup file ULCDHIp.sys uninstalled will determine if worked upon restart
Resolution: Seems to be resolved with the uninstall of ULead BURN.NOW 4.5