CD/DVD drive disappeared

technow09

CD/DVD drive disappeared

I have a problem here that i have not been able to find an answer to
but, in short, my computer can no longer find my CD/DVD drive, or as it
once was, D drive. When i insert a CD/DVD and try to play it nothing
happens. I have tried to set the comp to boot to the CD/DVD drive under
boot options but, still nothing. I ran the Toshiba assistance
application which checks all the main hardware for basic issues and in
conclusion I learned that
my system does not recognize the DVD drive
note: when i open the application "toshiba DVD ram utility" there is an
error that says- "the drive is not recognized. It may be in use by
another program or it is not connected correctly."
If you go to "computer" in the main pane area where it lists all the
hard disk drives there is nothing there.......unless i am using a drive
E: or F: say for example; my pen drive.......then it will occupy the
space that is suppose to *always *be used for my CD/DVD or D: drive.
This problem has been recorded in *event viewer* and i included it with
this post. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem?.............
becaues my work requires me to use my DVD drive!

|Filename: CDrom problem.txt |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11154|

technow09
Slack

RE: CD/DVD drive disappeared
I too have been having the same issue lately, but I am not sure as to when
the problem originated. I tried to run a CD in an LG DVD Rewriter only to
find that it wouldn't play the disk. Looking under the device manager tab,
I get the message "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I have tried
uninstalling and reinstalling drivers (from windows and the manufacturer)
with no luck. When I run the LG diagnostic utility, it tells me that it
cannot find the device. I also do not show any other drives than my hard
drive. I have tried swapping DVD roms, IDE cables and changing slave/master
with a generic CD-ROM(which also doesn't work).

I tried to download the "Microsoft - Other hardware - HID Non-User Input
Data Filter" update and I received the "Code 80070103" error message.

Thanks in advance to any help with this.

"technow09" wrote:

> I have a problem here that i have not been able to find an answer to
> but, in short, my computer can no longer find my CD/DVD drive, or as it
> once was, D drive. When i insert a CD/DVD and try to play it nothing
> happens. I have tried to set the comp to boot to the CD/DVD drive under
> boot options but, still nothing. I ran the Toshiba assistance
> application which checks all the main hardware for basic issues and in
> conclusion I learned that
> my system does not recognize the DVD drive
> note: when i open the application "toshiba DVD ram utility" there is an
> error that says- "the drive is not recognized. It may be in use by
> another program or it is not connected correctly."
> If you go to "computer" in the main pane area where it lists all the
> hard disk drives there is nothing there.......unless i am using a drive
> E: or F: say for example; my pen drive.......then it will occupy the
> space that is suppose to *always *be used for my CD/DVD or D: drive.
> This problem has been recorded in *event viewer* and i included it with
> this post. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem?.............
> becaues my work requires me to use my DVD drive!

> |Filename: CDrom problem.txt |
> |Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11154|

> technow09

Slack

RE: CD/DVD drive disappeared
Update: After browsing through many other posts, I stumbled across this
article
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...2-55d34b164202
which in turn linked me to
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929461 After doing the steps
according to the support article, my drives are fixed. Hope the same goes
for you technow09.
"Slack" wrote:

> I too have been having the same issue lately, but I am not sure as to when
> the problem originated. I tried to run a CD in an LG DVD Rewriter only to
> find that it wouldn't play the disk. Looking under the device manager tab,
> I get the message "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I have tried
> uninstalling and reinstalling drivers (from windows and the manufacturer)
> with no luck. When I run the LG diagnostic utility, it tells me that it
> cannot find the device. I also do not show any other drives than my hard
> drive. I have tried swapping DVD roms, IDE cables and changing slave/master
> with a generic CD-ROM(which also doesn't work).
>
> I tried to download the "Microsoft - Other hardware - HID Non-User Input
> Data Filter" update and I received the "Code 80070103" error message.
>
> Thanks in advance to any help with this.
>

> "technow09" wrote:
>

> > I have a problem here that i have not been able to find an answer to
> > but, in short, my computer can no longer find my CD/DVD drive, or as it
> > once was, D drive. When i insert a CD/DVD and try to play it nothing
> > happens. I have tried to set the comp to boot to the CD/DVD drive under
> > boot options but, still nothing. I ran the Toshiba assistance
> > application which checks all the main hardware for basic issues and in
> > conclusion I learned that
> > my system does not recognize the DVD drive
> > note: when i open the application "toshiba DVD ram utility" there is an
> > error that says- "the drive is not recognized. It may be in use by
> > another program or it is not connected correctly."
> > If you go to "computer" in the main pane area where it lists all the
> > hard disk drives there is nothing there.......unless i am using a drive
> > E: or F: say for example; my pen drive.......then it will occupy the
> > space that is suppose to *always *be used for my CD/DVD or D: drive.
> > This problem has been recorded in *event viewer* and i included it with
> > this post. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem?.............
> > becaues my work requires me to use my DVD drive!
> >

> > +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
> > |Filename: CDrom problem.txt |
> > |Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11154|
> > +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
> >
> > --
> > technow09

technow09

Re: CD/DVD drive disappeared

Thanks for that article there Slack however; that does not seem to
remedy the problem.
After submiting the nessessary value in the registry, i did not see any
upper or lower filters so i attempted the
following................................
I entered the following -"devcon stack gencdrom" in a command line
prompt and i received the message-

"devcon is not recognized as an external or internal command", operable
program or batch file.

So i assume that my DVD/CD-ROM does not have the filters
although, after i located the correct path to the DVD/CD-ROM drives in
the registry and then opened the folder, there were 3 subfolders there.
one was marked- 0000, then- 0001, and the last one was- Properties but,
when i attempted to open the folder "Properties" i received an error
that said-

"Properties cannot be opened. An error is preventing this key from
being opened"

Also note that the first time this problem occured i first tried a
system restore (in case it was from software i downloaded recently) and
then a system recovery and sometimes (like this very moment) my DVD/CD
drive works and then other times not. :cry:

--
technow09