Physical RAM being reported incorrectly in Everest

tomkat2006

Physical RAM being reported incorrectly in Everest

I have 8GB RAM (4x2GB sticks), works fine to my knowledge, and shows up
on the main screen, and in the BIOS as 8GB. Good stuff.
However, recently in order to try and improve boot speeds I went into
the pagefile and set it as 0 after reading that it isnt needed with this
ammount of ram. After rebooting I went into msconfig's advanced boot
screen, set the number of processors to 4 and MAX RAM... but it would
only see 3GB RAM.

I installed Everest to check this out and it reports that my physical
RAM is 3GB, task manager reports the same. What went wrong, and how can
I get all 8GB showing? My GPU is a 1GB 9800 card so wouldnt have thought
the rest was going towards gfx. Ive taken out some sticks and tried
again but Everest still only sees GB, even with 8gb, 6gb or 4gb
inside?!?!:shock:

--
tomkat2006
Michael Bernstein

Re: Physical RAM being reported incorrectly in Everest
You have not said what OS you are using. Is it 32bit or 64bit? A 32bit OS
(XP or Vista), and programs running on that, will never see or use more than
3 to 3.5GB, however much RAM you have. If you want the OS to see and use all
8GB you will need to install a 64bit OS (XP or Vista).

Mike Bernstein

"tomkat2006" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have 8GB RAM (4x2GB sticks), works fine to my knowledge, and shows up
> on the main screen, and in the BIOS as 8GB. Good stuff.
> However, recently in order to try and improve boot speeds I went into
> the pagefile and set it as 0 after reading that it isnt needed with this
> ammount of ram. After rebooting I went into msconfig's advanced boot
> screen, set the number of processors to 4 and MAX RAM... but it would
> only see 3GB RAM.
>
> I installed Everest to check this out and it reports that my physical
> RAM is 3GB, task manager reports the same. What went wrong, and how can
> I get all 8GB showing? My GPU is a 1GB 9800 card so wouldnt have thought
> the rest was going towards gfx. Ive taken out some sticks and tried
> again but Everest still only sees GB, even with 8gb, 6gb or 4gb
> inside?!?!:shock:
>

> --
> tomkat2006

tomkat2006

Re: Physical RAM being reported incorrectly in Everest

x64 ultimate, as I said its shwoing up as 8gb in bios but not in everest
or task manager..

--
tomkat2006
Michael Bernstein

Re: Physical RAM being reported incorrectly in Everest
The BIOS will always show the correct amount as that is independent of the
OS. What does the Computer properties window in Vista show? What does it say
at the bottom of any Explorer window? Both should show the total amount of
RAM. I attach a JPG from my Computer properties window. Incidentally,
Everest correctly reports my RAM as: 8189 MB.

> x64 ultimate, as I said its shwoing up as 8gb in bios but not in everest
> or task manager..
>

> --
> tomkat2006

Curious

Re: Physical RAM being reported incorrectly in Everest
The difference between 8.0GB and 8.189GB is most likely do to one using 1024
MB per GB and the other using 1000 MB per GB.

"Michael Bernstein" <mkmike@community.nospam> wrote in message
> The BIOS will always show the correct amount as that is independent of the
> OS. What does the Computer properties window in Vista show? What does it
> say
> at the bottom of any Explorer window? Both should show the total amount of
> RAM. I attach a JPG from my Computer properties window. Incidentally,
> Everest correctly reports my RAM as: 8189 MB.
>
> Mike Bernstein
>
> "tomkat2006" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> x64 ultimate, as I said its shwoing up as 8gb in bios but not in everest
>> or task manager..
>>

>> --
>> tomkat2006

Paul Shapiro

Re: Physical RAM being reported incorrectly in Everest
Even with a 64-bit os you need to enable a bios option for the os to see all
the ram. Right now the bios sees all 8GB, but only 4GB is being made
available to the os and you lose 1GB of that because the video card ram is
using part of the 4GB memory space. The bios option can have different
names, but it's usually something like Memory Remapping or Memory Mapping.
If you can't find that bios option, verify with the motherboard/computer
manufacturer that it's supported.