Battery not detected intermittently

Lazerlike42 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Battery not detected intermittently
I'm a very capable user running a Dell E1505 here. The battery lasted less than a year, and then I replaced it with a brand new battery. This has been in there for at most a month now. The past two days I have had an interesting situation going on. The computer is running Vista Home Premium, and it's running on AC. The battery seems to be working fine. It's detected fine, the PC runs off of the battery, and it charges as well. It's not set to suspend, hibernate, or anything like that at any time; these features are all deactivated because I am never in a situation to use them.

However, for the past few days, I have closed the lid and then gone to sleep at night, but when I have opened it up the next morning, I have the red X icon that says the battery is not detected. I've unseated the battery and clicked it back in each time, and it is immediately recognized and operates completely normally as described above after that. The first time that this happened, I thought it may just have been some odd thing as can happen now and then with computers, and I ignored it. I went through my day using the E1505 as usual: leaving it unattended for minutes or hours while doing other things, closing the lid before going to the store, opening the lid again, etc., and it worked fine. However, when I awoke this morning the X was there with the no battery message. I again unseated and reseated the battery, and all seems normal.

I'm a bit confused, as well as concerned about the situation. Any thoughts? Thank you!
Malke

Re: Battery not detected intermittently
Lazerlike42 wrote:

> I'm a very capable user running a Dell E1505 here. The battery lasted
> less than a year, and then I replaced it with a brand new battery. This
> has been in there for at most a month now. The past two days I have had
> an interesting situation going on. The computer is running Vista Home
> Premium, and it's running on AC. The battery seems to be working fine.
> It's detected fine, the PC runs off of the battery, and it charges as
> well. It's not set to suspend, hibernate, or anything like that at any
> time; these features are all deactivated because I am never in a
> situation to use them.

> However, for the past few days, I have closed the lid and then gone to
> sleep at night, but when I have opened it up the next morning, I have
> the red X icon that says the battery is not detected. I've unseated the
> battery and clicked it back in each time, and it is immediately
> recognized and operates completely normally as described above after
> that.

(snippage)

It's probably the charger component on the motherboard. This is a common
problem with Dells. Call Dell tech support.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Lazerlike42 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Battery not detected intermittently
Update - it had done it again when I came home tonight.

If I unplug the AC, the computer immediately switches to battery power, recognizing the battery and switching the meter to battery. If I plug the AC back in, the computer immediately switches back to AC with the battery/plug icon and charges normally. This is different from every other account of "battery not detected" trouble I've read in researching this (quite a few) in that in all of those cases, unplugging the AC caused the computer to run off of battery but without "realizing" that it was. In other words, the icon would remain the Plug with the X over the battery and the PC would think it was on AC power even while operating off of the battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerlike42 View Post
[...]

BigJim

Re: Battery not detected intermittently
call dell it sounds like a hardware problem.
"Lazerlike42" <Lazerlike42.3o30w3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:Lazerlike42.3o30w3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

Lazerlike42 wrote:

> Update - it had done it again when I came home tonight.
>
> If I unplug the AC, the computer immediately switches to battery power,
> recognizing the battery and switching the meter to battery. If I plug
> the AC back in, the computer immediately switches back to AC with the
> battery/plug icon and charges normally. This is different from every
> other account of "battery not detected" trouble I've read in researching
> this (quite a few) in that in all of those cases, unplugging the AC
> caused the computer to run off of battery -but without "realizing" that
> it was-. In other words, the icon would remain the Plug with the X over
> the battery and the PC would think it was on AC power even while
> operating off of the battery. Lazerlike42;1178658 Wrote:

Doesn't matter. Probably is the motherboard. Call Dell.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Lazerlike42 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Battery not detected intermittently
Thanks. As a second question to try to know as much about this as I can, when the battery is charged 100%, what should the icon say? Mine currently says "100% available (plugged in, charging). It shouldn't be charging if the battery's full, though. I've tried to google this issue and all I've come up with is some stuff for a Sony laptop and the general consensus there seems to be its normal. I've checked the 5 light meter on the actual battery and it I in fact full; it's not simply the software or BIOS thinking it is full.
Mike Torello

Lazerlike42 <Lazerlike42.3o4n88@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>Thanks. As a second question to try to know as much about this as I
>can, when the battery is charged 100%, what should the icon say? Mine
>currently says "100% available (plugged in, charging). It shouldn't be
>charging if the battery's full, though. I've tried to google this issue
>and all I've come up with is some stuff for a Sony laptop and the
>general consensus there seems to be its normal. I've checked the 5
>light meter on the actual battery and it I in fact full; it's not simply
>the software or BIOS thinking it is full.

You're wasting your time and everyone else's. Do as Malke said
several hours ago and call Dell.