Updating network adapter driver problem

Andee39

Updating network adapter driver problem
I recently purchased a USB network adapter b/c my ethernet adapter stopped
working. I have discovered there is a later version driver available but
when I try to update the driver I get a message stating the latest version
driver is already installed. I called tech support for the adapter (Linksys)
and they said it is a Windows issue since there device is working otherwise.
We tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver several times but no luck.
Would anyone know why this is happening and how to resolve? Thanks.
DL

Re: Updating network adapter driver problem
If your NIC stopped working why was this? If a built in one it might tend to
suggest a problem with your motherboard.
But thereagain did you make the mistake of using MS Update for drivers, and
if so did you not roll back the driver?
And with your new adapter, where are you looking for the updated drivers, at
a guess I would assume once again MS Update

"Andee39" <Andee39@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a USB network adapter b/c my ethernet adapter stopped
> working. I have discovered there is a later version driver available but
> when I try to update the driver I get a message stating the latest version
> driver is already installed. I called tech support for the adapter
> (Linksys)
> and they said it is a Windows issue since there device is working
> otherwise.
> We tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver several times but no
> luck.
> Would anyone know why this is happening and how to resolve? Thanks.

Andee39

Re: Updating network adapter driver problem
I don't know why the built-in ethernet port stopped working but since the
laptop is several years old I didn't want to spend the money to have it
repaired. The ethernet to USB connection seemed like a simple and
inexpensive workaround. No, I did not go to MS update for the drivers - I
went to the vendor website and I spoke to them directly and they were the
ones that suggested it is a Windows issue.

"DL" wrote:

> If your NIC stopped working why was this? If a built in one it might tend to
> suggest a problem with your motherboard.
> But thereagain did you make the mistake of using MS Update for drivers, and
> if so did you not roll back the driver?
> And with your new adapter, where are you looking for the updated drivers, at
> a guess I would assume once again MS Update
>
> "Andee39" <Andee39@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently purchased a USB network adapter b/c my ethernet adapter stopped
> > working. I have discovered there is a later version driver available but
> > when I try to update the driver I get a message stating the latest version
> > driver is already installed. I called tech support for the adapter
> > (Linksys)
> > and they said it is a Windows issue since there device is working
> > otherwise.
> > We tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver several times but no
> > luck.
> > Would anyone know why this is happening and how to resolve? Thanks.

DL

Re: Updating network adapter driver problem
Did you try rolling back the driver on your onboard nic, to see if it then
works?
You dont have pwr saving set on your onboard nic?
Re USB nic
Is there an option in the bios to disable the onboard nic?

If your onboard nic has failed due to a mobo problem, there may be other
mobo related problems