windows 2008 server on a scsi raid 29160

batzzz19

windows 2008 server on a scsi raid 29160

im trying to put my hardrives as one. raid 0

or stringging the same type of hard drives

i know i need the bios for this operation system because its not
included in the os

so where is it you guys and girls.
and how is the proper way to do it like it so. thanks

--
batzzz19
Malke

Re: windows 2008 server on a scsi raid 29160
batzzz19 wrote:

> im trying to put my hardrives as one. raid 0
>
> or stringging the same type of hard drives
>
> i know i need the bios for this operation system because its not
> included in the os
>
> so where is it you guys and girls.
> and how is the proper way to do it like it so. thanks

1. Questions about Server should be asked in the Server newsgroup.
microsoft.public.windows.server.general

2.RAID 0 is a recipe for losing all your data and will not provide any
noticeable speed difference. If you want to do RAID with only two hard
drives, do RAID 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redunda...ependent_disks

3. If there is nothing available to set up RAID in the BIOS, probably your
motherboard doesn't support it. Most modern motherboards do, but not SCSI.

4. If your motherboard doesn't support RAID, you can purchase a PCI
controller card.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Kerry Brown

Re: windows 2008 server on a scsi raid 29160
The 29160 is a SCSI controller not a SCSI RAID controller. It does not have
RAID features in the BIOS. You would have to use the built in software RAID
in server 2008. Like Malke I do not recommend RAID 0 on server. There is an
increased risk of data loss. On a server do you want to increase the risk?

If you truly want to go down this path then this is good place to start.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../dd163558.aspx

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"batzzz19" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> im trying to put my hardrives as one. raid 0
>
> or stringging the same type of hard drives
>
> i know i need the bios for this operation system because its not
> included in the os
>
> so where is it you guys and girls.
> and how is the proper way to do it like it so. thanks
>

> --
> batzzz19

batzzz19

Re: windows 2008 server on a scsi raid 29160

i will downgrade to windows 2003 server

from this site i found lots of info

'Get the basics on multilevel RAID sets : TechGuides : Enterprise
Servers & Storage : ZDNet Asia'
(http://www.zdnetasia.com/techguide/s...9354926,00.htm)

now i think i will have a little more understanding of this

but still now sure of what way to go with more hardrives in hand

i have 7 hardrives. 5 identical and 2 non-identical models.

the other two are identical models to each other

the other five i don't have the model right now

but i know how to use the pins in the bottom of the hard drive
to make them read as 0,1,2,3,4

and then the ones with pins in the back would be 5,6,,8

anyone have a clue after installing the hardware with windows 2003
server

IM NOT AFRAID TO LOSS ANY DATA BECAUSE ITS A FRESS INSTALL.

THEN I WILL WORRIE ABOUT THAT

SO I WANT TO SET THEM UP IN PAIRS OR SOMETHING

--
batzzz19
Kerry Brown

Re: windows 2008 server on a scsi raid 29160
You would configure software RAID on Server 2003 exactly the same as with
Server 2008. They have the same capabilities with software RAID. Here is a
tutorial to create a three disk RAID 5 array with Server 2008.

http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/..._Server_ 2008

Creating a RAID 0 or RAID 1 array would be similar. I highly recommend you
don't do this unless you do some more reading about RAID, how it works and
why it's used. I also highly recommend you do this with a hardware RAID
controller, especially with a server. Software RAID uses dynamic disks which
can be very hard to recover data from if something goes wrong.