Asus A7N8X and 3GB

Sascha Kolberg

Asus A7N8X and 3GB
hello everyone,

I've just upgraded my WindowsXP to Vista. For the installation I had to
remove one of my three memory sticks allready, because the Vista CD wouldn't
boot with all three installed the sophisticated green activity indicator
would just stop at some point. Now, after the upgrade the same applies to the
installed Vista System. It doesn't boot with 3 GB. No error message most of
the time, that is in one of ten times I get a STOP (0x000000C5) bluescreen.

My System:
Board: A7N8X Deluxe 2.0
CPU: AMD AthlonXP 3000+
RAM: 3 X G.SKILL PC3200 1GBNS
Grafik: Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 512MB

What I've done so far:
1) Power supply is sufficient.
2) Memory sticks tested and ok.
3) Bios is up to date
4) Both Windows XP and Linux work fine with 3GB
5) there are to updates for Vista available, that would fit
KB925528
KB929777
However, both should be included in SP1 (which is installed) and none can be
installed manually (Message is something like: 'The update is not valid for
your system').

I am aware of the fact, that my board is quite old, but overall my setup
should be sufficient to run Vista decently. I've seen a couple of users with
this problem, but no solution so far.

After a bit of research, my guess is that windows vista probably stops
driver loading as a prepercussion because the chipset drivers for nForce2 are
not fully supported and therefore something might go wrong. Is that at least
near to the truth?
If so, just for testing, is there a way to make vista a bit more brave?

Or just restrict memory adress space for drivers to the lower (obviously
less suspicious) 1 GB or 2 GB? (other than 'BCDEdit /set RemoveMemory 1024',
which is what I've currently set to boot Vista without having to remove 1
stick)

Thanks alot in advance
Sascha
Rick Rogers

Re: Asus A7N8X and 3GB
Hi Sascha,

Two things I would try:

1) See if a BIOS update is available, there may be some quirks that need to
be addressed.

2) Vista sometimes encounters timing issues with older boards and ram that
are nearing the board's capacity. Try stepping it down a notch or two
manually with all 3 sticks installed.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Sascha Kolberg" <SaschaKolberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello everyone,
>
> I've just upgraded my WindowsXP to Vista. For the installation I had to
> remove one of my three memory sticks allready, because the Vista CD
> wouldn't
> boot with all three installed the sophisticated green activity indicator
> would just stop at some point. Now, after the upgrade the same applies to
> the
> installed Vista System. It doesn't boot with 3 GB. No error message most
> of
> the time, that is in one of ten times I get a STOP (0x000000C5)
> bluescreen.
>
> My System:
> Board: A7N8X Deluxe 2.0
> CPU: AMD AthlonXP 3000+
> RAM: 3 X G.SKILL PC3200 1GBNS
> Grafik: Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 512MB
>
> What I've done so far:
> 1) Power supply is sufficient.
> 2) Memory sticks tested and ok.
> 3) Bios is up to date
> 4) Both Windows XP and Linux work fine with 3GB
> 5) there are to updates for Vista available, that would fit
> KB925528
> KB929777
> However, both should be included in SP1 (which is installed) and none can
> be
> installed manually (Message is something like: 'The update is not valid
> for
> your system').
>
> I am aware of the fact, that my board is quite old, but overall my setup
> should be sufficient to run Vista decently. I've seen a couple of users
> with
> this problem, but no solution so far.
>
> After a bit of research, my guess is that windows vista probably stops
> driver loading as a prepercussion because the chipset drivers for nForce2
> are
> not fully supported and therefore something might go wrong. Is that at
> least
> near to the truth?
> If so, just for testing, is there a way to make vista a bit more brave?
>
> Or just restrict memory adress space for drivers to the lower (obviously
> less suspicious) 1 GB or 2 GB? (other than 'BCDEdit /set RemoveMemory
> 1024',
> which is what I've currently set to boot Vista without having to remove 1
> stick)
>
> Thanks alot in advance
> Sascha

Sascha Kolberg

Re: Asus A7N8X and 3GB
Thanks for the fast reply!

1) There is no newer Bios for my hardware. My Board is "ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
Hardware revision 2.0". Installed is bios verison 1008. ASUS offers only a
bios version 1009 for earlier hardware revisions and it fixes only a problem
with the onboard SATA controller on those boardsn that I never encountered.
So bios is up to date.

2) Meanwhile, that was already suggested in another forum, and so I tried it
out (CPU and RAM at both 133MHz and 166MHz) without any change.

I'm not willing to give up yet, although I'm completely out of ideas.
"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Sascha,
>
> Two things I would try:
>
> 1) See if a BIOS update is available, there may be some quirks that need to
> be addressed.
>
> 2) Vista sometimes encounters timing issues with older boards and ram that
> are nearing the board's capacity. Try stepping it down a notch or two
> manually with all 3 sticks installed.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick Rogers

Re: Asus A7N8X and 3GB
Hi,

Well, as you stated, the chipset isn't fully supported so there may be
nothing you can do to use all 3GB. Sometimes with older hardware you just
have to live with the limitations. I use that same board in an older system
that I turned over to my **** daughters several years ago, I wouldn't have
even tried putting Vista on it.

--

> Thanks for the fast reply!
>
> 1) There is no newer Bios for my hardware. My Board is "ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
> Hardware revision 2.0". Installed is bios verison 1008. ASUS offers only a
> bios version 1009 for earlier hardware revisions and it fixes only a
> problem
> with the onboard SATA controller on those boardsn that I never
> encountered.
> So bios is up to date.
>
> 2) Meanwhile, that was already suggested in another forum, and so I tried
> it
> out (CPU and RAM at both 133MHz and 166MHz) without any change.
>
> I'm not willing to give up yet, although I'm completely out of ideas.
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Sascha,
>>
>> Two things I would try:
>>
>> 1) See if a BIOS update is available, there may be some quirks that need
>> be addressed.
>>
>> 2) Vista sometimes encounters timing issues with older boards and ram
>> that
>> are nearing the board's capacity. Try stepping it down a notch or two
>> manually with all 3 sticks installed.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

RalfG

Re: Asus A7N8X and 3GB

"Sascha Kolberg" <SaschaKolberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the fast reply!
>
> 1) There is no newer Bios for my hardware. My Board is "ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
> Hardware revision 2.0". Installed is bios verison 1008. ASUS offers only a
> bios version 1009 for earlier hardware revisions and it fixes only a
> problem
> with the onboard SATA controller on those boardsn that I never
> encountered.
> So bios is up to date.
>
> 2) Meanwhile, that was already suggested in another forum, and so I tried
> it
> out (CPU and RAM at both 133MHz and 166MHz) without any change.
>
> I'm not willing to give up yet, although I'm completely out of ideas.
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Sascha,
>>
>> Two things I would try:
>>
>> 1) See if a BIOS update is available, there may be some quirks that need
>> be addressed.
>>
>> 2) Vista sometimes encounters timing issues with older boards and ram
>> that
>> are nearing the board's capacity. Try stepping it down a notch or two
>> manually with all 3 sticks installed.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

A BIOS update might be in order for this board anyway if one exists. They
don't always specify every change that was made.

Wondering if perhaps Vista is detecting a non-existent 4th memory slot
(chipset capability versus actual installed hardware) and trying to run the
memory interleaved. That could disable the 3rd bank or cause crashes when
Windows tries to use memory space from the 3rd and missing 4th bank. You
could try disabling the BIOS setting (if it exists) for resources controlled
by OS to let the motherboard configure the hardware devices itself.

Richard Urban

Re: Asus A7N8X and 3GB
Your M/B (I have 3 of them) will not work with more than 2 slots populated
in dual RAM mode. So, I also live with only 2 gig of RAM to use.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Sascha Kolberg" <SaschaKolberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello everyone,
>
> I've just upgraded my WindowsXP to Vista. For the installation I had to
> remove one of my three memory sticks allready, because the Vista CD
> wouldn't
> boot with all three installed the sophisticated green activity indicator
> would just stop at some point. Now, after the upgrade the same applies to
> the
> installed Vista System. It doesn't boot with 3 GB. No error message most
> of
> the time, that is in one of ten times I get a STOP (0x000000C5)
> bluescreen.
>
> My System:
> Board: A7N8X Deluxe 2.0
> CPU: AMD AthlonXP 3000+
> RAM: 3 X G.SKILL PC3200 1GBNS
> Grafik: Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 512MB
>
> What I've done so far:
> 1) Power supply is sufficient.
> 2) Memory sticks tested and ok.
> 3) Bios is up to date
> 4) Both Windows XP and Linux work fine with 3GB
> 5) there are to updates for Vista available, that would fit
> KB925528
> KB929777
> However, both should be included in SP1 (which is installed) and none can
> be
> installed manually (Message is something like: 'The update is not valid
> for
> your system').
>
> I am aware of the fact, that my board is quite old, but overall my setup
> should be sufficient to run Vista decently. I've seen a couple of users
> with
> this problem, but no solution so far.
>
> After a bit of research, my guess is that windows vista probably stops
> driver loading as a prepercussion because the chipset drivers for nForce2
> are
> not fully supported and therefore something might go wrong. Is that at
> least
> near to the truth?
> If so, just for testing, is there a way to make vista a bit more brave?
>
> Or just restrict memory adress space for drivers to the lower (obviously
> less suspicious) 1 GB or 2 GB? (other than 'BCDEdit /set RemoveMemory
> 1024',
> which is what I've currently set to boot Vista without having to remove 1
> stick)
>
> Thanks alot in advance
> Sascha

DL

Re: Asus A7N8X and 3GB
That board/revision & bios can still have problems with the sata controler,
as I discovered, and confirmed with Asus tech, which led me to replace it.

"Sascha Kolberg" <SaschaKolberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the fast reply!
>
> 1) There is no newer Bios for my hardware. My Board is "ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
> Hardware revision 2.0". Installed is bios verison 1008. ASUS offers only a
> bios version 1009 for earlier hardware revisions and it fixes only a
> problem
> with the onboard SATA controller on those boardsn that I never
> encountered.
> So bios is up to date.
>
> 2) Meanwhile, that was already suggested in another forum, and so I tried
> it
> out (CPU and RAM at both 133MHz and 166MHz) without any change.
>
> I'm not willing to give up yet, although I'm completely out of ideas.
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Sascha,
>>
>> Two things I would try:
>>
>> 1) See if a BIOS update is available, there may be some quirks that need
>> be addressed.
>>
>> 2) Vista sometimes encounters timing issues with older boards and ram
>> that
>> are nearing the board's capacity. Try stepping it down a notch or two
>> manually with all 3 sticks installed.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Sascha Kolberg

Re: Asus A7N8X and 3GB
Thanks for all the help!

I think I've tried everything possible and I think DirectX 10 (which was my
original motivation) is certainly not worth all that trouble. I'm going to
reinstall Windows XP which worked great with all 3 sticks. May be, the day
will come when DirectX 10 will be available for XP, maybe not.
I'm just a bit sad, that parts of my hardware are to old for current windows
systems (yes I tried windows 7 Beta ), while other parts are to new to be
fully supported by windows xp. Thus, my choice is either 3 GB of RAM and only
DX9 or only 2 GB of RAM and DX 10.

Farewell Vista

turbojo

Re: Asus A7N8X and 3GB

Hi, i've got an a7n8x-e deluxe and i've got the same problem. things
i've noticed though are: 3x512 pc3200 work fine on xp, vista and windows
7, 2x1gb pc3200 work fine on all systems. this is where it all starts
getting fun with 3gb. xp installs fine, and runs fine as well, vista
will not even boot off the dvd, install or run. windows 7 will boot off
the dvd, install but once its done and booting for the first logging in
screen it crashes. (all crashes are without bsod, first you know about
it is the comp is posting again.) does this help anyone? what do you
mean you cant run windows 7? i get wei scores of 4.0-4.5-5.9-6.0-6.2.
(vista 4.0-4.5-5.9-5.9-5.9) windows 7 doesn't use as much resources as
vista so 2gb of ram is better suited for it.

--
turbojo
IamHri

Re: Asus A7N8X and 3GB

Hello Sascha, hello turbojo,

I have to apologize that I use this thread, I only want to run WinXP,
but with the same Mobo as you and also with 3Gb. But there are only few
people which run 3Gb at the A7n8x-e deluxe. I tried to insert 3x1024K
MDT CL2.5 but XP didn't start. Unfortunately the Mobo itself doesn't
recognize the 3Gb (only 2621440K). What's going wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance for help

IamHri

--
IamHri