Recommendation for a NAS

BrianB

Recommendation for a NAS
I'm thinking of adding a NAS device to my home network and would love any
recommendations. I'm looking for something around 1TB with RAID 1 or 5 that
works with 64-bit Vista and Win XP.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Brian

coolbreeze

Re: Recommendation for a NAS
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 07:17:31 -0800, "BrianB" <brian@notreal.com>
wrote:

>I'm thinking of adding a NAS device to my home network and would love any
>recommendations. I'm looking for something around 1TB with RAID 1 or 5 that
>works with 64-bit Vista and Win XP.
>
>Any suggestions?
>Thanks in advance
>Brian

Brian,

I've been using a HP MV2120 NAS for about six months now. It
has two 500gb drives that I've set up as RAID 0 for mirroring. The
unit has one "gotcha" that is still being researched by HP after
almost a year in service. The "gotcha" has to do with the number of
files (inodes) that can exist on the NAS. You are limited to copying
473,000 files before the MV2120 starts giving you the message that the
disk is write protected. I'm still waiting for HP to come up with a
solution. I have the NAS working with Vista Home Premium x64. HP's
software that comes with the drive installs fine and works as
designed.

Other than this annoyance, the NAS functions well and does a
very good job as a file server. Hope this helps! Should you need any
further information, please let me know and I'll try and provide
answers.

Regards,

Alan....
BrianB

Re: Recommendation for a NAS
"coolbreeze" <bijar@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 07:17:31 -0800, "BrianB" <brian@notreal.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm thinking of adding a NAS device to my home network and would love any
>>recommendations. I'm looking for something around 1TB with RAID 1 or 5
>>that
>>works with 64-bit Vista and Win XP.
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>>Thanks in advance
>>Brian
>>

> Brian,
>
> I've been using a HP MV2120 NAS for about six months now. It
> has two 500gb drives that I've set up as RAID 0 for mirroring. The
> unit has one "gotcha" that is still being researched by HP after
> almost a year in service. The "gotcha" has to do with the number of
> files (inodes) that can exist on the NAS. You are limited to copying
> 473,000 files before the MV2120 starts giving you the message that the
> disk is write protected. I'm still waiting for HP to come up with a
> solution. I have the NAS working with Vista Home Premium x64. HP's
> software that comes with the drive installs fine and works as
> designed.
>
> Other than this annoyance, the NAS functions well and does a
> very good job as a file server. Hope this helps! Should you need any
> further information, please let me know and I'll try and provide
> answers.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alan....

Thank you, Alan, for your recommendation. I doubt that we'll hit that gotcha
any time soon as we currently have only 36,000 files to put on the NAS.

Brian

Tom Ferguson

Re: Recommendation for a NAS
I use a Linksys NAS-200, It has other features but I just use it for user
file storage. D-Link and others have similar units.

For system back-ups, I use Ms Home Server software on a box I assembled for
that.

If you are considering the Linksys: You also have to get at least one SATA
HD (the unit will hold two drives which can be configured as separate or
RAID 0 or 1 but comes with no drives), and do install the latest firmware
from the Linksys site (I had to contact their support group to get the
latest version).

It is not very fast but has proven very reliable.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007