Dell Inspiron 530 - Networking problem

Jim Robin

Dell Inspiron 530 - Networking problem
Hi,

I have been asked to look at a problem with a computer at our local social
club. It's a Dell Inspiron 530. It was not showing anything to do with
Networking in the device manager so I went to the BIOS and enabled the
network.

When I restarted Vista this time the network device was showing in the
device manager but that there were no drivers installed for it. If I can
manage to locate the Vista installation CD would that help me to get it
working? If I cannot locate the original CD would it be okay to use my own
CD instead?

Thank you very much for any replies!

Jim

Curious

Re: Dell Inspiron 530 - Networking problem

If the system does have dial up support then I suggest that you run Win
Update it will probably install the driver for you.
Or go the Dell website from another system and see if you can download the
driver and copy it to CD and then install it in the target system.

"Jim Robin" <jim.robin@loganswell.f2s.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been asked to look at a problem with a computer at our local social
> club. It's a Dell Inspiron 530. It was not showing anything to do with
> Networking in the device manager so I went to the BIOS and enabled the
> network.
>
> When I restarted Vista this time the network device was showing in the
> device manager but that there were no drivers installed for it. If I can
> manage to locate the Vista installation CD would that help me to get it
> working? If I cannot locate the original CD would it be okay to use my
> own CD instead?
>
> Thank you very much for any replies!
>
> Jim

Jim Robin

Re: Dell Inspiron 530 - Networking problem
Thanks very much!

I think I can plug in a wireless USB device to get on the Internet as the
club has wireless Internet. I shall try windows update. Good suggestion
and very prompt - thanks again!

Jim

"Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message

> If the system does have dial up support then I suggest that you run Win
> Update it will probably install the driver for you.
> Or go the Dell website from another system and see if you can download the
> driver and copy it to CD and then install it in the target system.
>
> "Jim Robin" <jim.robin@loganswell.f2s.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been asked to look at a problem with a computer at our local
>> social club. It's a Dell Inspiron 530. It was not showing anything to
>> do with Networking in the device manager so I went to the BIOS and
>> enabled the network.
>>
>> When I restarted Vista this time the network device was showing in the
>> device manager but that there were no drivers installed for it. If I can
>> manage to locate the Vista installation CD would that help me to get it
>> working? If I cannot locate the original CD would it be okay to use my
>> own CD instead?
>>
>> Thank you very much for any replies!
>>
>> Jim

DL

Re: Dell Inspiron 530 - Networking problem
Personnally I would'nt reccommend MS update for a driver, since its a Dell
obtain the driver from Dell, that way you'll get the correct one

> Thanks very much!
>
> I think I can plug in a wireless USB device to get on the Internet as the
> club has wireless Internet. I shall try windows update. Good suggestion
> and very prompt - thanks again!
>
> Jim
>
> "Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> If the system does have dial up support then I suggest that you run Win
>> Update it will probably install the driver for you.
>> Or go the Dell website from another system and see if you can download
>> the driver and copy it to CD and then install it in the target system.
>>
>> "Jim Robin" <jim.robin@loganswell.f2s.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have been asked to look at a problem with a computer at our local
>>> social club. It's a Dell Inspiron 530. It was not showing anything to
>>> do with Networking in the device manager so I went to the BIOS and
>>> enabled the network.
>>>
>>> When I restarted Vista this time the network device was showing in the
>>> device manager but that there were no drivers installed for it. If I
>>> can manage to locate the Vista installation CD would that help me to get
>>> it working? If I cannot locate the original CD would it be okay to use
>>> my own CD instead?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for any replies!
>>>
>>> Jim

Jim Robin

Re: Dell Inspiron 530 - Networking problem
Thanks DL - will check that out too.

Jim