usb to rs232 converter

longrider

usb to rs232 converter

I can't get my usb to rs232 cable to install and vista keeps indexing
the com port as it trys the next install. I have downloaded the driver,
updated the driver, deleted the driver and reloaded the driver to no
avail. Now it shows 26 com ports in use and tells me the device I am
trying to install is trying to use a display name that is already in
use. How do I clear this up so I can install this device?

--
longrider
Chuck

Re: usb to rs232 converter
Sounds like the driver software is buggy. Another possibility has to do with
BIOS settings that relate to com ports.
(I haven't run across this problem in a long time.) It used to occur
occasionally when i/o cards/devices used a com port, and did not meet the
P&P specs.
"longrider" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I can't get my usb to rs232 cable to install and vista keeps indexing
> the com port as it trys the next install. I have downloaded the driver,
> updated the driver, deleted the driver and reloaded the driver to no
> avail. Now it shows 26 com ports in use and tells me the device I am
> trying to install is trying to use a display name that is already in
> use. How do I clear this up so I can install this device?
>

> --
> longrider

batzzz19

Re: usb to rs232 converter

there is also a thing called straight cable on a usb to serial

or null cable on a usb to serial. certaing new cables do accept vista
and some older ones dont.

depending on what your trying to do. it will read it if its the wrong
or right cable
but wont work unless on the other end accepts null or straight type of
cable.

i recently had the same problem when i was using a null usb to serial
cable made by prolictic which the null has different pins to it than the
straight; from end to end.

i don't thinks its a bios issue if your I/O's com ports are good in
device manager

then it should work with the right cable.

i used it on a fta box just a serial to serial worked on straight not
null

and other use null. it all depends on two things you device is working
on device manager. and the cable on the other hand

what are u using it by the way

--
batzzz19
PaulB

RE: usb to rs232 converter
From an elevated command prompt, type set
devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, press enter, then type start
devmgmt.msc and press enter.

From the Device Manager, select View - Show Hidden Devices. Now when
you expand the COM ports section you will see all of the old devices and
can uninstall them.
--
Paul