> I purchased this drive and it was working fine until now. When I plug it
> into the computer it does not recognize the HDD. :sa: The problem
> started after I reformmatted the CPU. I am running Vista Ultimate 32.
> Any suggestions?
Usually you don't need to install anything from Western Digital for a My
Book to be recognized by Vista.
1. Test the drive by attaching it to another computer. Does it work there?
If yes, see #2. If no, then the My Book has failed and it was coincidental
to the reinstall of Vista. Contact Western Digital tech support.
2. After you reinstalled Vista, did you remember to install the drivers for
all your hardware? If not, that's your next step. Here is general
information about drivers:
Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:
1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM computer
(HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).
Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.
To find out what hardware is in your computer:
1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific model
machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.
- Belarc Advisor
- System Information for Windows
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!