DVD RAM Drive Disappears From Windows Vista

technomann

DVD RAM Drive Disappears From Windows Vista

HP Pavillion dv9500 notebook running Vista Home Premium. I installed a
2nd SATA hard drive in bay 2 og the notebook and now my DVD RAM drive
has disappeared from Explorer, Drive Management, and Device Manager. I
swapped out the DVD drive with a new one to rule out hardware failure,
but the problem persists. Does anyone have a clue as to why this has
happened? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I want my DVD drive
back! Thank you.

--
technomann
Noel Paton

Re: DVD RAM Drive Disappears From Windows Vista
Did you check that the BIOS is seeing all attached drives? - if this was a
PATA system, I'd have said that you hadn't set the new HD as slave....
What happens if you detach the new HD? - does your DVD drive re-appear??

--
Noel Paton (MVP 2002-2006)
(CrashFixPC)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk
"technomann" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> HP Pavillion dv9500 notebook running Vista Home Premium. I installed a
> 2nd SATA hard drive in bay 2 og the notebook and now my DVD RAM drive
> has disappeared from Explorer, Drive Management, and Device Manager. I
> swapped out the DVD drive with a new one to rule out hardware failure,
> but the problem persists. Does anyone have a clue as to why this has
> happened? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I want my DVD drive
> back! Thank you.
>

> --
> technomann

Peter Foldes

Re: DVD RAM Drive Disappears From Windows Vista
Try one of the following

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q316529
--
Peter

"technomann" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> HP Pavillion dv9500 notebook running Vista Home Premium. I installed a
> 2nd SATA hard drive in bay 2 og the notebook and now my DVD RAM drive
> has disappeared from Explorer, Drive Management, and Device Manager. I
> swapped out the DVD drive with a new one to rule out hardware failure,
> but the problem persists. Does anyone have a clue as to why this has
> happened? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I want my DVD drive
> back! Thank you.
>

> --
> technomann

technomann

Re: DVD RAM Drive Disappears From Windows Vista

The BIOS is not that comprehensive. The only place that the DVD drive
appears in the BIOS is in the Boot Order list. I had to set a jumper on
the new 2nd SATA hard drive in order to get it to appear in Explorer or
Device Manager. Otherwise the 2nd hard drive would not appear anywhere.
If I detach the 2nd HD and reboot the DVD drive does NOT re-appear. The
only drive that appears then is the original hard drive. Is this a
problem with the 2 SATA hard drives configuration? A problem with IDE
ATA/ATAPI controllers? Or what???

--
technomann
technomann

Re: DVD RAM Drive Disappears From Windows Vista

I just discovered that Windows will no longer recognize any of my USB
flash drives either. They will show up in Device Manager with a yellow
exclamation mark. When I try to update the drivers for them through
Device Manager I get the error message that Windows encountered a
problem with the installation of the drivers. What the heck is going on
here?

--
technomann