Missing Subkeys needed to fix DVD Autoplay

dennise

Missing Subkeys needed to fix DVD Autoplay

Hello,

My "autoplay" doesn't work for blank DVDs. The drive works (read and
write) if I cajole and use unacceptable workaround methods, so I'm sure
this a software problem and probably Vista related as many others are
having autoplay trouble.This is a new PC, and autoplay doesn't work!

I tried all the Control Panel autoplay settings .... nothing works. Yes
the Shell Hardward Detection service is running and set to Automatic.

I have some Registry change(s) suggested to fix this problem, but the
suggestions point to subkeys that do NOT appear in my 2-week old Vista
SP1(32 bit) eMachine Vista registry.

Missing keys are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\Explorer
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer

In both cases, there is NO 'Explorer" subkey after
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies \. Now how can I
correct the failed autoplay problem if these subkeys are missing from my
registry?

Why are these keys missing? This is a new PC !!!

Help please:sick:

--
dennise
Curious

Re: Missing Subkeys needed to fix DVD Autoplay
Application programs that check for key values in the registry to control
their options normally use a built in default value if no registry entry is
found.
Therefore adding a key and value to the registry will cause the application
to use other then it's default settings.

"dennise" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> My "autoplay" doesn't work for blank DVDs. The drive works (read and
> write) if I cajole and use unacceptable workaround methods, so I'm sure
> this a software problem and probably Vista related as many others are
> having autoplay trouble.This is a new PC, and autoplay doesn't work!
>
> I tried all the Control Panel autoplay settings .... nothing works. Yes
> the Shell Hardward Detection service is running and set to Automatic.
>
> I have some Registry change(s) suggested to fix this problem, but the
> suggestions point to subkeys that do NOT appear in my 2-week old Vista
> SP1(32 bit) eMachine Vista registry.
>
> Missing keys are:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\Explorer
> and
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
>
> In both cases, there is NO 'Explorer" subkey after
> Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies \. Now how can I
> correct the failed autoplay problem if these subkeys are missing from my
> registry?
>
> Why are these keys missing? This is a new PC !!!
>
> Help please:sick:
>

> --
> dennise

John Barnett MVP

Re: Missing Subkeys needed to fix DVD Autoplay
dennise I also have a devil of a time trying to find it however the trick is
to actually search for the string 'NoDriveTypeAutoRun' that usually makes
the little devil appear. See this link from my website:
http://www.winuser.co.uk/windows_vista_faq/84_autorun_autoplay_don't_work_when_cddvd_is_inser ted.html
In particular see step 10

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

"dennise" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> My "autoplay" doesn't work for blank DVDs. The drive works (read and
> write) if I cajole and use unacceptable workaround methods, so I'm sure
> this a software problem and probably Vista related as many others are
> having autoplay trouble.This is a new PC, and autoplay doesn't work!
>
> I tried all the Control Panel autoplay settings .... nothing works. Yes
> the Shell Hardward Detection service is running and set to Automatic.
>
> I have some Registry change(s) suggested to fix this problem, but the
> suggestions point to subkeys that do NOT appear in my 2-week old Vista
> SP1(32 bit) eMachine Vista registry.
>
> Missing keys are:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\Explorer
> and
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
>
> In both cases, there is NO 'Explorer" subkey after
> Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies \. Now how can I
> correct the failed autoplay problem if these subkeys are missing from my
> registry?
>
> Why are these keys missing? This is a new PC !!!
>
> Help please:sick:
>

> --
> dennise

Clark

dennise wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My "autoplay" doesn't work for blank DVDs. The drive works (read and
> write) if I cajole and use unacceptable workaround methods, so I'm sure
> this a software problem and probably Vista related as many others are
> having autoplay trouble.This is a new PC, and autoplay doesn't work!
>
> I tried all the Control Panel autoplay settings .... nothing works. Yes
> the Shell Hardward Detection service is running and set to Automatic.
>
> I have some Registry change(s) suggested to fix this problem, but the
> suggestions point to subkeys that do NOT appear in my 2-week old Vista
> SP1(32 bit) eMachine Vista registry.
>
> Missing keys are:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\Explorer
> and
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
>
> In both cases, there is NO 'Explorer" subkey after
> Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies \. Now how can I
> correct the failed autoplay problem if these subkeys are missing from my
> registry?
>
> Why are these keys missing? This is a new PC !!!
>
> Help please:sick:

I would think if you used the autorun panel and marked the checkbox to
Use Autoplay for all media devices, and then clicked the Reset all
defaults button that everything would be restored to normal. Perhaps
uncheck the box first, click SAVE, and then recheck it.

Which DVD player do you have since I found this in the registry under
always disable autorun.

TORiSAN CD-ROM CDR_C36
NEC MBR-7
NEC MBR-7.4