Vista H Prem SP1,32 won't boot after PCTV card install

Brad

Vista H Prem SP1,32 won't boot after PCTV card install
We're trying to install a Pinnacle Systems PCTV 800i PCI ATSC Hybrid TV + FM
Radio card. Vista H Prem 32 bit hangs at the "Microsoft Corporation" 'status
bar' screen. The box that has the bar going from left to right is blank and
the "Microsoft Corporation" is very dim.
I removed the only add-in card, a modem, and that hasn't helped. We added
another 512meg Ram to make 1gig and that didn't help.
I thought maybe it was a video issue, so we disabled the on board and added
a video card with 128meg of dedicated video ram, that didn't help.
The bios recognizes the card plugged in to Slot 3 as a multimedia card so
the mobo is recognizing the card in the slot.

We installed it into a WinXPpro SP3 and it boots and recognizes it just
fine. (the description in my first line comes from the WinXP machine)

I'm not very familiar with Vista so I'm not sure where to go next. The
manufacturer isn't being much help (email answers are generic boxed
for Windows Vista.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Curious

Re: Vista H Prem SP1,32 won't boot after PCTV card install
If you remove the new card does your system work normally again?
Is the card slot next to the new card empty?
Does the new card work if you remove the modem card?

"Brad" <bs@imhere.com> wrote in message
> We're trying to install a Pinnacle Systems PCTV 800i PCI ATSC Hybrid TV +
> FM
> Radio card. Vista H Prem 32 bit hangs at the "Microsoft Corporation"
> 'status
> bar' screen. The box that has the bar going from left to right is blank
> and
> the "Microsoft Corporation" is very dim.
> I removed the only add-in card, a modem, and that hasn't helped. We added
> another 512meg Ram to make 1gig and that didn't help.
> I thought maybe it was a video issue, so we disabled the on board and
> added
> a video card with 128meg of dedicated video ram, that didn't help.
> The bios recognizes the card plugged in to Slot 3 as a multimedia card so
> the mobo is recognizing the card in the slot.
>
> We installed it into a WinXPpro SP3 and it boots and recognizes it just
> fine. (the description in my first line comes from the WinXP machine)
>
> I'm not very familiar with Vista so I'm not sure where to go next. The
> manufacturer isn't being much help (email answers are generic boxed
> Certified
> for Windows Vista.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions?

Brad

Re: Vista H Prem SP1,32 won't boot after PCTV card install
Yes, If I remove the card the system boots OK, except for the error message
that windows fail to boot properly last time. I usually choose boot normally
and everything is back to normal.

Yes, There are 3 PCI slots and one PCIe slot. I was using slot3, slot2 had
the modem in it until I removed it and the next slot was the PCIe, empty
until I tried the addin video card.

No, The new card doesn't work nor does Vista boot or act any better with the
modem card removed.

I even tried the new card in slot2 where the modem was, but I got the same
results.

+