Wierd Video Problem

Peterpski

Wierd Video Problem
I came home from travel and my home PC was having a video issue. The only
updates or changes would have been automatic windows on a subaccount. My wife
powered off the system normally, and then it would only boot up to a black
screen. I can hear it load Vista Home Premium up but it would only load every
other time so I could see something on the monitor. Thought it might be the
monitor, but connecting via a standard VGA monitor cable to my laptop, it
works fine. I attached an adapter from DVI to VGA and now that works on the
home system. I Updated nVidia drivers, no change. My startup time has
increased exponentially, and I cant access my USB slots as side issues. Virus
scan shows nothing. I have tried waiting until I can logon to my system with
the VGA cable attached, then switching to the digital cable, with no luck.
Low resolution is driving me nuts. What am I missing?
This system has had nothing other than small issues. Dual core cpus, nvidia
7900, 2mb ram.

Thanks!
Thomas Wendell

Re: Wierd Video Problem

"Peterpski" <Peterpski@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti
viestissńA6D7B2F-9B26-48AD-B760-5D7BF68AB76B@microsoft.com...
>I came home from travel and my home PC was having a video issue. The only
> updates or changes would have been automatic windows on a subaccount. My
> wife
> powered off the system normally, and then it would only boot up to a black
> screen. I can hear it load Vista Home Premium up but it would only load
> every
> other time so I could see something on the monitor. Thought it might be
> the
> monitor, but connecting via a standard VGA monitor cable to my laptop, it
> works fine.

I attached an adapter from DVI to VGA and now that works on the home
system.

I Updated nVidia drivers, no change. My startup time has
> increased exponentially, and I cant access my USB slots as side issues.
> Virus
> scan shows nothing. I have tried waiting until I can logon to my system
> with
> the VGA cable attached, then switching to the digital cable, with no luck.
> Low resolution is driving me nuts. What am I missing?
> This system has had nothing other than small issues. Dual core cpus,
> nvidia
> 7900, 2mb ram.
>
> Thanks!

This sounds like either the DVI cable or the DVI connector/circuit in the
monitor is kaputt..

--
Thomas Wendell
Helsinki, Finland

Curious

Re: Wierd Video Problem
Why are you restricted to a low resolution with VGA?
Suggest you try running Check Disk?
Can you boot Ok in F8 Safe Mode?

"Peterpski" <Peterpski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsA6D7B2F-9B26-48AD-B760-5D7BF68AB76B@microsoft.com...
> I came home from travel and my home PC was having a video issue. The only
> updates or changes would have been automatic windows on a subaccount. My
> wife
> powered off the system normally, and then it would only boot up to a black
> screen. I can hear it load Vista Home Premium up but it would only load
> every
> other time so I could see something on the monitor. Thought it might be
> the
> monitor, but connecting via a standard VGA monitor cable to my laptop, it
> works fine. I attached an adapter from DVI to VGA and now that works on
> the
> home system. I Updated nVidia drivers, no change. My startup time has
> increased exponentially, and I cant access my USB slots as side issues.
> Virus
> scan shows nothing. I have tried waiting until I can logon to my system
> with
> the VGA cable attached, then switching to the digital cable, with no luck.
> Low resolution is driving me nuts. What am I missing?
> This system has had nothing other than small issues. Dual core cpus,
> nvidia
> 7900, 2mb ram.
>
> Thanks!

Jonathan Harker

Re: Wierd Video Problem
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 06:44:42 -0800, "Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com>
wrote:

>Why are you restricted to a low resolution with VGA?
>Suggest you try running Check Disk?

WHY? Or is that your go-to utility for all problems?

>Can you boot Ok in F8 Safe Mode?
>
>"Peterpski" <Peterpski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>newsA6D7B2F-9B26-48AD-B760-5D7BF68AB76B@microsoft.com...
>> I came home from travel and my home PC was having a video issue. The only
>> updates or changes would have been automatic windows on a subaccount. My
>> wife
>> powered off the system normally, and then it would only boot up to a black
>> screen. I can hear it load Vista Home Premium up but it would only load
>> every
>> other time so I could see something on the monitor. Thought it might be
>> the
>> monitor, but connecting via a standard VGA monitor cable to my laptop, it
>> works fine. I attached an adapter from DVI to VGA and now that works on
>> the
>> home system. I Updated nVidia drivers, no change. My startup time has
>> increased exponentially, and I cant access my USB slots as side issues.
>> Virus
>> scan shows nothing. I have tried waiting until I can logon to my system
>> with
>> the VGA cable attached, then switching to the digital cable, with no luck.
>> Low resolution is driving me nuts. What am I missing?
>> This system has had nothing other than small issues. Dual core cpus,
>> nvidia
>> 7900, 2mb ram.
>>
>> Thanks!

Curious

Re: Wierd Video Problem
I agree that file corruption should not occur during the use of the normal
shutdown option but it would be good to eliminate it as a possibility by
running Check Disk.

Peter,
Your HDD may not be spinning up fast for booting on the first try due to the
lower system temperature after being shutdown for some time.
I suggest that you set your CD drive as the first boot device and put a CD
in the drive so that you get the prompt "Hit any key to boot from CD" and
then let it time out. If that works then see if leaving the drive empty
also works.

"Jonathan Harker" <jonharker@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 06:44:42 -0800, "Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Why are you restricted to a low resolution with VGA?
>>Suggest you try running Check Disk?

> WHY? Or is that your go-to utility for all problems?
>
>>Can you boot Ok in F8 Safe Mode?
>>
>>"Peterpski" <Peterpski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>newsA6D7B2F-9B26-48AD-B760-5D7BF68AB76B@microsoft.com...
>>> I came home from travel and my home PC was having a video issue. The
>>> only
>>> updates or changes would have been automatic windows on a subaccount. My
>>> wife
>>> powered off the system normally, and then it would only boot up to a
>>> black
>>> screen. I can hear it load Vista Home Premium up but it would only load
>>> every
>>> other time so I could see something on the monitor. Thought it might be
>>> the
>>> monitor, but connecting via a standard VGA monitor cable to my laptop,
>>> it
>>> works fine. I attached an adapter from DVI to VGA and now that works on
>>> the
>>> home system. I Updated nVidia drivers, no change. My startup time has
>>> increased exponentially, and I cant access my USB slots as side issues.
>>> Virus
>>> scan shows nothing. I have tried waiting until I can logon to my system
>>> with
>>> the VGA cable attached, then switching to the digital cable, with no
>>> luck.
>>> Low resolution is driving me nuts. What am I missing?
>>> This system has had nothing other than small issues. Dual core cpus,
>>> nvidia
>>> 7900, 2mb ram.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

Jonathan Harker

Re: Wierd Video Problem
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:24:08 -0800, "Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com>
wrote:

>I agree that file corruption should not occur during the use of the normal
>shutdown option but it would be good to eliminate it as a possibility by
>running Check Disk.

I think your suggestion was worthless.

>Peter,
>Your HDD may not be spinning up fast for booting on the first try due to the
>lower system temperature after being shutdown for some time.

That's worthless too, unless "Peter" lives in an unheated igloo.

>I suggest that you set your CD drive as the first boot device and put a CD
>in the drive so that you get the prompt "Hit any key to boot from CD" and
>then let it time out. If that works then see if leaving the drive empty
>also works.
>

>"Jonathan Harker" <jonharker@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>news:il6jp4hkhifrv2tdmssj93hks5qlulc8hs@4ax.com.. .
>> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 06:44:42 -0800, "Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Why are you restricted to a low resolution with VGA?
>>>Suggest you try running Check Disk?

>> WHY? Or is that your go-to utility for all problems?
>>
>>>Can you boot Ok in F8 Safe Mode?
>>>
>>>"Peterpski" <Peterpski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>newsA6D7B2F-9B26-48AD-B760-5D7BF68AB76B@microsoft.com...

Curious

Re: Wierd Video Problem
Since you consider my suggestions as worthless what constructive comments or
suggestions do do you have for the OP if any?