Vista Bus x64 cant use KVM

JRobere

Vista Bus x64 cant use KVM
I've got a new Dell Precision M4400 laptop with Vista Bus x64 on it and a
StarTech 4-Port PS/2 KVM that I've used for years.

Hanging off the KVM are a flat screen monitor, wireless MS mouse and Dell
Keyboard which have all worked fine for a long time.

The monitor always works fine for the M4400 through the KVM.

If I plug the mouse and keyboard directly in to the M4400 they work fine.

The M4400 has no PS/2 outputs so I've put a Belkin USB -> 2 port PS/2
adapter between it and the KVM. When I connect that adapter to the KVM the
M4400 doesn't respond to the keyboard or mouse whether I've got both or one
or the other plugged in to the Belkin adapter.

Anybody know what's up and how to fix it?

TIA
--
JRobere

JRobere

RE: Vista Bus x64 cant use KVM
Some additional data: the Belkin adapter is a 1 USB in -> 2 PS/2 out so it's
asking for and getting the USB Composite Device driver. The keyboard and
mouse are both calling for a getting their respective HID drivers.

It doesn't appear the M4400 is seeing any activity from either device.

Oh and sorry for the two posts, the first one said it had errored out but I
guess it didn't.
--
JRobere

"JRobere" wrote:

> I've got a new Dell Precision M4400 laptop with Vista Bus x64 on it and a
> StarTech 4-Port PS/2 KVM that I've used for years.
>
> Hanging off the KVM are a flat screen monitor, wireless MS mouse and Dell
> Keyboard which have all worked fine for a long time.
>
> The monitor always works fine for the M4400 through the KVM.
>
> If I plug the mouse and keyboard directly in to the M4400 they work fine.
>
> The M4400 has no PS/2 outputs so I've put a Belkin USB -> 2 port PS/2
> adapter between it and the KVM. When I connect that adapter to the KVM the
> M4400 doesn't respond to the keyboard or mouse whether I've got both or one
> or the other plugged in to the Belkin adapter.
>
> Anybody know what's up and how to fix it?
>
> TIA
> --
> JRobere

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Vista Bus x64 cant use KVM
"JRobere" <JRobere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've got a new Dell Precision M4400 laptop with Vista Bus x64 on it and a
> StarTech 4-Port PS/2 KVM that I've used for years.
>
> Hanging off the KVM are a flat screen monitor, wireless MS mouse and Dell
> Keyboard which have all worked fine for a long time.
>
> The monitor always works fine for the M4400 through the KVM.
>
> If I plug the mouse and keyboard directly in to the M4400 they work fine.
>
> The M4400 has no PS/2 outputs so I've put a Belkin USB -> 2 port PS/2
> adapter between it and the KVM. When I connect that adapter to the KVM
> the
> M4400 doesn't respond to the keyboard or mouse whether I've got both or
> one
> or the other plugged in to the Belkin adapter.
>
> Anybody know what's up and how to fix it?
>
> TIA
> --
> JRobere

Contact Dell support and ask what kind of KVM switch is compatible with your
new laptop..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

Mike's Window - My Blog..

Paul Shapiro

Re: Vista Bus x64 cant use KVM
Try a different brand of usb - ps/2 adapter. I have a few and some work
better than others. It's been a while since I was using them, but I seem to
remember the cheapest one worked best, so I see it as a bit of a random
shot. Trying a few adapters is cheaper than a new KVM with usb ports.

"JRobere" <JRobere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've got a new Dell Precision M4400 laptop with Vista Bus x64 on it and a
> StarTech 4-Port PS/2 KVM that I've used for years.
>
> Hanging off the KVM are a flat screen monitor, wireless MS mouse and Dell
> Keyboard which have all worked fine for a long time.
>
> The monitor always works fine for the M4400 through the KVM.
>
> If I plug the mouse and keyboard directly in to the M4400 they work fine.
>
> The M4400 has no PS/2 outputs so I've put a Belkin USB -> 2 port PS/2
> adapter between it and the KVM. When I connect that adapter to the KVM
> the
> M4400 doesn't respond to the keyboard or mouse whether I've got both or
> one
> or the other plugged in to the Belkin adapter.
>
> Anybody know what's up and how to fix it?

JRobere

Re: Vista Bus x64 cant use KVM
Thanks Paul, I'll try that but when I bypass the KVM and connect the mouse
and keyboard to the laptop with the adapter they work.

Still think another adapter may work?

--
JRobere
CADD Associates, Inc.

"Paul Shapiro" wrote:

> Try a different brand of usb - ps/2 adapter. I have a few and some work
> better than others. It's been a while since I was using them, but I seem to
> remember the cheapest one worked best, so I see it as a bit of a random
> shot. Trying a few adapters is cheaper than a new KVM with usb ports.
>
> "JRobere" <JRobere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've got a new Dell Precision M4400 laptop with Vista Bus x64 on it and a
> > StarTech 4-Port PS/2 KVM that I've used for years.
> >
> > Hanging off the KVM are a flat screen monitor, wireless MS mouse and Dell
> > Keyboard which have all worked fine for a long time.
> >
> > The monitor always works fine for the M4400 through the KVM.
> >
> > If I plug the mouse and keyboard directly in to the M4400 they work fine.
> >
> > The M4400 has no PS/2 outputs so I've put a Belkin USB -> 2 port PS/2
> > adapter between it and the KVM. When I connect that adapter to the KVM
> > the
> > M4400 doesn't respond to the keyboard or mouse whether I've got both or
> > one
> > or the other plugged in to the Belkin adapter.
> >
> > Anybody know what's up and how to fix it?

Paul Shapiro

Re: Vista Bus x64 cant use KVM
Yes, because with the KVM in the loop the adapter needs that one further
level of compatibility. It's a good question though. I don't remember if I
tried the adapter that didn't work through my KVM directly into the
computer.