Laptop Freezes - ACPI Error

kristneder

Laptop Freezes - ACPI Error

Hi.

I'm having a small problem with my new laptop.
Sometimes when I insert USB devices or when I insert the AC, my laptop
freezes and I have to do a hard reboot before I can do anything again.

When looking in the windows event viewer two different errors/warnings
occur, namely EventID 13 and 15. Which says something like this:

The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified
timeout period / Returned unexpected data. This may indicate that there
is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing
the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for
an upgraded BIOS. In some situations this error may cause the computer
to function incorrectly.

*Things I've tried:*
Ran a mem test, no errors
checked harddisk for errors, none found
defraged the disk
booting in safe mode, it still froze
formating and reinstalling vista, didn't work
google

*Specs:*
Intel Dual Core 2 (P8600)
Nvidia GeForce 9650M GT
4Gb RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 64Bit (Service Pack1)
Manufactor and model: Zepto Nexus A15

What to do? :'(

If you need any more info please let me know!

--
kristneder
Malke

Re: Laptop Freezes - ACPI Error
kristneder wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm having a small problem with my new laptop.
> Sometimes when I insert USB devices or when I insert the AC, my laptop
> freezes and I have to do a hard reboot before I can do anything again.
>
> When looking in the windows event viewer two different errors/warnings
> occur, namely EventID 13 and 15. Which says something like this:
>
> The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified
> timeout period / Returned unexpected data. This may indicate that there
> is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing
> the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for
> an upgraded BIOS. In some situations this error may cause the computer
> to function incorrectly.
>

> *Things I've tried:*
> Ran a mem test, no errors
> checked harddisk for errors, none found
> defraged the disk
> booting in safe mode, it still froze
> formating and reinstalling vista, didn't work
> google
>

> *Specs:*
> Intel Dual Core 2 (P8600)
> Nvidia GeForce 9650M GT
> 4Gb RAM
> Windows Vista Ultimate 64Bit (Service Pack1)
> Manufactor and model: Zepto Nexus A15
>
> What to do? :'(

New laptop with symptoms as described above = take it back for a
replacement. This is a hardware issue and a new computer should not exhibit
signs like this. Exercise your warranty and don't wait.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

kristneder

Re: Laptop Freezes - ACPI Error

Oh my

I was hoping it was a software problem, or maybe something with Vista..
So I won't have any luck with formatting and installing XP/Ubuntu?

--
kristneder
Mike Torello

kristneder <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Oh my
>
>I was hoping it was a software problem, or maybe something with Vista..
>So I won't have any luck with formatting and installing XP/Ubuntu?

That would be a very stupid thing to do.

kristneder wrote:

> Oh my
>
> I was hoping it was a software problem, or maybe something with Vista..
> So I won't have any luck with formatting and installing XP/Ubuntu?

Not if the problem is hardware. Exercise your warranty! Hardware doesn't
heal itself.

As for putting on XP, see below for general information. I can't speak for
how things will work with Ubuntu, but normally when considering installing
a Linux distro the first thing to make sure of is whether drivers are
available for your hardware.

General information about replacing Vista with XP:

A. On an OEM (HP, Sony, etc.) computer:

1. Go to the OEM's website and look for XP drivers for your specific model
computer. If there are no XP drivers, then you can't install XP. End of
story. If there are drivers, download them and store on a CD-R or USB
thumbdrive; you'll need them after you install XP.

2. Check with the OEM - either from their tech support website or by calling
them - to see if you will void your warranty if you do this. If you will
void the warranty, you make the decision.

3. If the OEM does support XP on the machine, call them and see if you can
have downgrade rights and have them send you an XP restore disk. This will
be far the easiest and best way of getting XP on the machine.

4. If XP is supported on the machine but the OEM doesn't have an XP restore
disk for you, understand that you'll need to purchase a retail copy of XP
from your favorite online or brick/mortar store.

5. Also understand that you will need to do a clean install of XP so if you
have any data you want, back it up first.

6. If none of the above is applicable to you because you can't run XP on
that machine (see Item #1 above), return the computer and purchase one
running XP instead.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Paul Shapiro

Re: Laptop Freezes - ACPI Error
You could try a bios update, but I would agree with the other advice. New
equipment should work. Reformatting might invalidate your warranty, so
that's not a good idea unless you check with the vendor first.

"kristneder" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Oh my
>
> I was hoping it was a software problem, or maybe something with Vista..
> So I won't have any luck with formatting and installing XP/Ubuntu?

John

Re: Laptop Freezes - ACPI Error
Be sure all the drivers are the latest, especially the BIOS. Don't replace
the OS until you determine whether hardware is the problem. The manufacturer
may deny warranty if it's returned with a different OS than what it is was
sold with.

> Hi.
>
> I'm having a small problem with my new laptop.
> Sometimes when I insert USB devices or when I insert the AC, my laptop
> freezes and I have to do a hard reboot before I can do anything again.
>
> When looking in the windows event viewer two different errors/warnings
> occur, namely EventID 13 and 15. Which says something like this:
>
> The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified
> timeout period / Returned unexpected data. This may indicate that there
> is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing
> the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for
> an upgraded BIOS. In some situations this error may cause the computer
> to function incorrectly.
>

> *Things I've tried:*
> Ran a mem test, no errors
> checked harddisk for errors, none found
> defraged the disk
> booting in safe mode, it still froze
> formating and reinstalling vista, didn't work
> google
>

> *Specs:*
> Intel Dual Core 2 (P8600)
> Nvidia GeForce 9650M GT
> 4Gb RAM
> Windows Vista Ultimate 64Bit (Service Pack1)
> Manufactor and model: Zepto Nexus A15
>
> What to do? :'(
>
> If you need any more info please let me know!
>

> --
> kristneder

kristneder

Re: Laptop Freezes - ACPI Error

It wasn't sold with any OS.

So, what I've done now is download the drivers from Zepto's homepage,
rather than installing those on the CD i got with the laptop.

So far, no crashes!

--
kristneder