is it possible for one driver to be for both 32bit and 64bit OS?

James

is it possible for one driver to be for both 32bit and 64bit OS?
Is it possible for one driver to be intended for both 32bit and 64bit
version of a Windows operating system? or are there *always* seperate 32 and
64bit versions?

Noel Paton

Re: is it possible for one driver to be for both 32bit and 64bit OS?
Yes, it's possible - depending on how the driver writer actually designed
it. the biggest difference between 64-bit and 32-bit drivers (apart from the
actual bit-length) is that 64-bit drivers MUST be signed (with a
certificate) - this can be accommodated within a download quite easily.

--
Noel Paton (MVP 2002-2006)
(CrashFixPC)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk
"James" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible for one driver to be intended for both 32bit and 64bit
> version of a Windows operating system? or are there *always* seperate 32
> and 64bit versions?

Richard G. Harper

Re: is it possible for one driver to be for both 32bit and 64bit OS?
One driver? No. One driver package? Certainly. The manufacturer can (and
in some cases, does) include both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers in one package.
Windows selects the part(s) it needs from the total package.

"James" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible for one driver to be intended for both 32bit and 64bit
> version of a Windows operating system? or are there *always* seperate 32
> and 64bit versions?

James

Re: is it possible for one driver to be for both 32bit and 64bit OS?
thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

"Noel Paton" <noeldp@crashfixpc.co.uk> wrote in message
> Yes, it's possible - depending on how the driver writer actually designed
> it. the biggest difference between 64-bit and 32-bit drivers (apart from
> the actual bit-length) is that 64-bit drivers MUST be signed (with a
> certificate) - this can be accommodated within a download quite easily.
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MVP 2002-2006)
> (CrashFixPC)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk
> "James" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Is it possible for one driver to be intended for both 32bit and 64bit
>> version of a Windows operating system? or are there *always* seperate 32
>> and 64bit versions?

James

> One driver? No. One driver package? Certainly. The manufacturer can
> (and in some cases, does) include both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers in one
> package. Windows selects the part(s) it needs from the total package.
>
> "James" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Is it possible for one driver to be intended for both 32bit and 64bit
>> version of a Windows operating system? or are there *always* seperate 32
>> and 64bit versions?

Curious

Re: is it possible for one driver to be for both 32bit and 64bit OS?
If you have an unsigned Vista 64 bit driver you can select "load unsigned
driver" from the F8 boot menu so you can load it.

> thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
>
> "Noel Paton" <noeldp@crashfixpc.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Yes, it's possible - depending on how the driver writer actually designed
>> it. the biggest difference between 64-bit and 32-bit drivers (apart from
>> the actual bit-length) is that 64-bit drivers MUST be signed (with a
>> certificate) - this can be accommodated within a download quite easily.
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MVP 2002-2006)
>> (CrashFixPC)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk
>> "James" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Is it possible for one driver to be intended for both 32bit and 64bit
>>> version of a Windows operating system? or are there *always* seperate 32
>>> and 64bit versions?

James

Re: is it possible for one driver to be for both 32bit and 64bit OS?
good to know, thanks.

"Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> If you have an unsigned Vista 64 bit driver you can select "load unsigned
> driver" from the F8 boot menu so you can load it.
>
> "James" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
>>
>> "Noel Paton" <noeldp@crashfixpc.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Yes, it's possible - depending on how the driver writer actually
>>> designed it. the biggest difference between 64-bit and 32-bit drivers
>>> (apart from the actual bit-length) is that 64-bit drivers MUST be signed
>>> (with a certificate) - this can be accommodated within a download quite
>>> easily.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Noel Paton (MVP 2002-2006)
>>> (CrashFixPC)
>>>
>>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>>> http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk

Noel Paton

Re: is it possible for one driver to be for both 32bit and 64bit OS?
Um - I don't think that you can actually (quite) do that!

http://www.mstalkonline.com/vista-in...er-in-x64-bit/
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/...howtopic=18585
be VERY aware that if you choose the latter courses you are opening your
system to some serious vulnerabilities!

--

> good to know, thanks.
>
> "Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> If you have an unsigned Vista 64 bit driver you can select "load unsigned
>> driver" from the F8 boot menu so you can load it.
>>
>> "James" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Curious

Re: is it possible for one driver to be for both 32bit and 64bit OS?
All you are doing when you select to load an unsigned driver from a major
vendor such as Nvidia or ATI is speed up the time the time to get the
driver son your system since there is a delay waiting for MS to test the
driver which the supplier has to pay MS to do to insure that it does no
violate any Vista 64 driver restrictions.

> Um - I don't think that you can actually (quite) do that!
>
> http://www.mstalkonline.com/vista-in...er-in-x64-bit/
> http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/...howtopic=18585
> be VERY aware that if you choose the latter courses you are opening your
> system to some serious vulnerabilities!
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MVP 2002-2006)
> (CrashFixPC)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk
>
> "James" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> good to know, thanks.
>>
>> "Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> If you have an unsigned Vista 64 bit driver you can select "load
>>> unsigned driver" from the F8 boot menu so you can load it.

Noel Paton

Re: is it possible for one driver to be for both 32bit and 64bit OS?
That's the point of the driver-signing process - to ENSURE that installed
drivers don't bring the whole system to it's knees!
There are very few (I hesitate to say 'no') cases where a set of signed
drivers need an unsigned update.
Driver-signing also ensures that the driver you are installing really is the
driver you think it is - without some interesting add-on that a
Russian/Chinese/US bot-master would like you to install.