Vista Problems since upgrading RAM

korimus is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista Problems since upgrading RAM
Hello all,

Well, I am having an interesting problem. I recently upgraded from 2GB of corsair xms memory to 4GB of Patriot Extreme Performance RAM. First off, I messed up by not changing the voltage to the proper level. At first I was running it at 1.9v (the manufacturer recommends 2.1-2.2). So, obviously I start getting weird problems, lots of crashing. I finally figure out the voltage is wrong and change it to 2.2v. Now, I use memtest86 and do 10 passes and no problems found. I completely wipe and re-install Win XP, followed by Vista 64-bit (on a different partition). So I have dual boot, XP on one HDD, Vista on another. Get Xp all updated and everything installed and it runs great. Only minor issue is in Age of Conan I get some graphical tearing (which could be a video driver thing, though I get no tearing in any other game). However, now i switch to vista. Vista (SP1 installed)keeps getting failures on updates, and major graphical issues when trying to play games. Also, it sometimes doesn't load into Vista (it will freeze). I did the sfc /scannow and find nothing corrupt in the vista files. When I do windows updates, the Superfetch service will stop running, which is what I think causes the failure. The only other errors in the event log is Volume Shadow Copy, which keeps getting errors and restarting.

So, before i changed RAM, no problems. Now I have new RAM (which to the best of my ability seems fine physically), yet Vista is unhappy. Any thoughts?

My Specs:
MSI 975x Platinum Power-Up Edition
Intel Core 2 Duo p6600 (2.4ghz)
4GB Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2 RAM
BFG GTX 260 896MB RAM
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
WD Black Edition 1TB HDD x1
Raptor 10k rpm 36GB x1
WD 300GB x1
Vista 64 Ultimate and Windows XP Pro
Safai

Re: Vista Problems since upgrading RAM
If feasible, I would temporarily get another 4 GB RAM from a friend or
elsewhere to test your Vista. See if problems disapear or not. The fact is
memory testing tools cannot fully detect all RAM problems.

If the problem persists, then you should for other issues, such as
internet/network issues, maybe.

Morteza