Backup Error - Western Digital 'My Book'

rlmcculley is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Backup Error - Western Digital 'My Book'
I have gotten numerous (0x81000014) errors saying there is not enough space on my Windows disk to prepare for backing up my files.

I am using a Western Digial 'My Book' 500G external storage device to back up to and have deleted EVERYTHING on it in order to make sure that there was enough storage space available. After the backup I still have over 400G of available space.

WHY do I continue to see this message? Is may backed up information reliable?
spamme0

Re: Backup Error - Western Digital 'My Book'
rlmcculley wrote:
> I have gotten numerous (0x81000014) errors saying there is not enough
> space on my Windows disk to prepare for backing up my files.
>
> I am using a Western Digial 'My Book' 500G external storage device to
> back up to and have deleted EVERYTHING on it in order to make sure that
> there was enough storage space available. After the backup I still have
> over 400G of available space.
>
> WHY do I continue to see this message? Is may backed up information
> reliable?

Can only guess at your configuration and how you're backing up.
If your external drive is formatted fat32 and your backup file is bigger
than 4gb.
you'll get disk full errors.
Most backup programs split the file to avoid this.

There's a limit to how many files can be put in the root directory.
Doubt that's your problem, but worth checking...Backup to a directory.

Most backup programs allow you to verify your backup. If yours doesn't,
get another.

In general, I don't trust anything that spit out an error.

Now, if you really did mean C: when you said windows disk, how much
space is there? I've never run into this, but backup programs
do need some temporary disk storage. Not clear when you're talking
about space on C:
and space on the external drive.

rlmcculley is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Backup Error - Western Digital 'My Book'
____________________

Thank you for your respons
I am quite sure that I formatted the 'My Book' to NTFS files system, but I could be mistaken. I will check that.

Regarding available C: drive space, I have 250G HD with 100G 'free space' remaining, so I am eliminating that as a possibility.

Respectfully,

RLM

_____________________
quote=spamme0;1161186]rlmcculley wrote:
> I have gotten numerous (0x81000014) errors saying there is not enough
> space on my Windows disk to prepare for backing up my files.
>
> I am using a Western Digial 'My Book' 500G external storage device to
> back up to and have deleted EVERYTHING on it in order to make sure that
> there was enough storage space available. After the backup I still have
> over 400G of available space.
>
> WHY do I continue to see this message? Is may backed up information
> reliable?

Can only guess at your configuration and how you're backing up.
If your external drive is formatted fat32 and your backup file is bigger
than 4gb.
you'll get disk full errors.
Most backup programs split the file to avoid this.

There's a limit to how many files can be put in the root directory.
Doubt that's your problem, but worth checking...Backup to a directory.

Most backup programs allow you to verify your backup. If yours doesn't,
get another.

In general, I don't trust anything that spit out an error.

Now, if you really did mean C: when you said windows disk, how much
space is there? I've never run into this, but backup programs
do need some temporary disk storage. Not clear when you're talking
about space on C:
and space on the external drive.[/quote]
spamme0

Re: Backup Error - Western Digital 'My Book'
But you're still not saying what you're doing.
operating system? Format of c:?
Backup method/program?
Are you sure you're sending the backup to the
external drive?

Another thing to check is the usb cable.
I'm assuming that the drive came with one.
That should work if you've not added an
extension.
I've had random disk write failures with
cables from an old usb 1.1 device or when
using an extension.
I'm also assuming you're backing up a desktop.
Laptop usb ports have power problems when running
usb-powered external disks.

Run memtest86+ just for good measure.

Go download the free acronis 10 disk image program
http://www.acronis.co.uk/mag/ati10pe

Create the rescue media, boot from that
and create an image on your external drive.
This WILL work if you have good hardware.
mike