vista 64 bit blu-ray driver

bob alou

vista 64 bit blu-ray driver
I bought a sony blu-ray rom drive that did not come w/vista 64 bit drivers.
The bundled software from cyberlink can be upgraded for $100 which is almost
the cost of the drive. Are there any free drivers out there?

Richard G. Harper

Re: vista 64 bit blu-ray driver
The drive should work fine as a data drive without drivers. However, it
will not play Blu-Ray movies without the software upgrade or some added
software to enable Blu-Ray playback.

"bob alou" <emtae@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> I bought a sony blu-ray rom drive that did not come w/vista 64 bit
> drivers. The bundled software from cyberlink can be upgraded for $100
> which is almost the cost of the drive. Are there any free drivers out
> there?

Craig H

Re: vista 64 bit blu-ray driver
HI,

So you're telling me I can't play a Blu Ray disc through media center???? Is
microsoft insane or just doesn't give a damm. I stupidly assumed that the
leading operating system in the world with the much touted media center would
actually play a blue ray disc through media center as the format war has been
over for several months at least. What was I thinking? So I just wasted the
money on the drive? That was the whole ******* point of building a computer
for the TV. Now I am being told I need to upgrade the third party software
for $100 to even play a disc. I could have just bought a player!!!!! Are SONY
and Microsoft insane??!!??

Sincerely,

An extremely annoyed customer.

You know what really poaches my eggs? I was starting to think Vista was OK.
I must have been on drugs.

Craig Hildebrand
"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> The drive should work fine as a data drive without drivers. However, it
> will not play Blu-Ray movies without the software upgrade or some added
> software to enable Blu-Ray playback.
>
> "bob alou" <emtae@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I bought a sony blu-ray rom drive that did not come w/vista 64 bit
> > drivers. The bundled software from cyberlink can be upgraded for $100
> > which is almost the cost of the drive. Are there any free drivers out
> > there?

Curious

Re: vista 64 bit blu-ray driver
The Vista MC decoder does not currently H.264 format. H.264 will be
supported by MC in Windows7, however, even then it appears that it will not
support BR drives due to player licensing requirements.
The cyberlink player that came with the drive should work and if it works at
all then 64bit vista drivers are now installed on your system
The upgraded version provides better PQ and uses less CPU power depending on
the graphics card in the system.
What is the model number of your Sony drive?

"Craig H" <Craig H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HI,
>
> So you're telling me I can't play a Blu Ray disc through media center????
> Is
> microsoft insane or just doesn't give a damm. I stupidly assumed that the
> leading operating system in the world with the much touted media center
> would
> actually play a blue ray disc through media center as the format war has
> been
> over for several months at least. What was I thinking? So I just wasted
> the
> money on the drive? That was the whole ******* point of building a
> computer
> for the TV. Now I am being told I need to upgrade the third party software
> for $100 to even play a disc. I could have just bought a player!!!!! Are
> SONY
> and Microsoft insane??!!??
>

> Sincerely,
>
> An extremely annoyed customer.
>
> You know what really poaches my eggs? I was starting to think Vista was
> OK.
> I must have been on drugs.
>
> Craig Hildebrand
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> The drive should work fine as a data drive without drivers. However, it
>> will not play Blu-Ray movies without the software upgrade or some added
>> software to enable Blu-Ray playback.
>>
>> "bob alou" <emtae@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>> > I bought a sony blu-ray rom drive that did not come w/vista 64 bit
>> > drivers. The bundled software from cyberlink can be upgraded for $100
>> > which is almost the cost of the drive. Are there any free drivers out
>> > there?

fieseler

Re: vista 64 bit blu-ray driver

i though vista sp2 was adding blu ray support??

--
fieseler

Dear Sir stroke Madam. FIRE, exclamation mark. FIRE, exclamation mark.
Help me, exclamation mark. 123 Carrendon Road. Looking forward to
hearing from you.
Curious

Re: vista 64 bit blu-ray driver
I don't know where you got that information.
Originally the TVpack upgrade for Vista MC that was released last summer was
to contain H.264 decoding support. However, there were unresolved problems
with the H.264 decoder in the TVpack Beta versions and MS, for some reason,
did not want to delay the release past last July to fix them.
In any case AFAIK the beta release of TVpack did not contain BR decoding
support.

"fieseler" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> i though vista sp2 was adding blu ray support??
>

> --
> fieseler
>
> Dear Sir stroke Madam. FIRE, exclamation mark. FIRE, exclamation mark.
> Help me, exclamation mark. 123 Carrendon Road. Looking forward to
> hearing from you.

Richard G. Harper

Re: vista 64 bit blu-ray driver
It adds support for burning blu-ray data discs. Not playing blu-ray movies.