ReadyBoost Question

jimSON

ReadyBoost Question

Hi there.

I searched generally about this before posting but with no luck.

I have a new system with the new Core i7 920 CPU (don't know if this
matters ) and with 6 GB DDR3 RAM (1333Mhz 6x1BG) running Vista
Business SP1 x64.

I intend to disable the pagefile completely and to use a dedicated USB
Flash Drive for ReadyBoost.

- What size should this USB Flash Drive have?
-I read somewhere that it should be a 2.5:1 ratio (in my case 15GB
then) for high-end systems. Is that right?
-
- Do I have to configure the device on every Windows Boot again, so
ReadyBoost is going to use it?

Thank you for taking the time to read it.

-Any answer will be appreciated and suggestions/advices if I should or
not do this as well. -

.jimmy

--
jimSON
Jake Marley

Re: ReadyBoost Question
On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 08:23:25 -0600, jimSON <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Hi there.
>
>I searched generally about this before posting but with no luck.
>
>I have a new system with the new Core i7 920 CPU (don't know if this
>matters ) and with 6 GB DDR3 RAM (1333Mhz 6x1BG) running Vista
>Business SP1 x64.
>
>I intend to disable the pagefile completely and to use a dedicated USB
>Flash Drive for ReadyBoost.

1) Not a good idea. Some programs will be looking for a pagefile.

2) Googling SHOULD have found you plenty of hits showing that
Readyboost is of no value on systems with 2G of RAM or more.

>- What size should this USB Flash Drive have?
>-I read somewhere that it should be a 2.5:1 ratio (in my case 15GB
>then) for high-end systems. Is that right?
>-
>- Do I have to configure the device on every Windows Boot again, so
>ReadyBoost is going to use it?
>
>Thank you for taking the time to read it.
>
>-Any answer will be appreciated and suggestions/advices if I should or
>not do this as well. -
>
>.jimmy

jimSON

Re: ReadyBoost Question

Jake Marley;955646 Wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 08:23:25 -0600, jimSON <guest@xxxxxx-email.com>
> wrote:
> > > >

> > >Hi there.
> > >
> > >I searched generally about this before posting but with no luck.
> > >
> > >I have a new system with the new Core i7 920 CPU (don't know if this
> > >matters ) and with 6 GB DDR3 RAM (1333Mhz 6x1BG) running Vista
> > >Business SP1 x64.
> > >
> > >I intend to disable the pagefile completely and to use a dedicated USB
> > >Flash Drive for ReadyBoost. > > 1) Not a good idea. Some programs will be looking for a pagefile.

> 2) Googling SHOULD have found you plenty of hits showing that
> Readyboost is of no value on systems with 2G of RAM or more.
>

> > >- What size should this USB Flash Drive have?
> > >-I read somewhere that it should be a 2.5:1 ratio (in my case 15GB
> > >then) for high-end systems. Is that right?
> > >-
> > >- Do I have to configure the device on every Windows Boot again, so
> > >ReadyBoost is going to use it?
> > >
> > >Thank you for taking the time to read it.
> > >
> > >-Any answer will be appreciated and suggestions/advices if I should or
> > >not do this as well. -
> > >
> > >.jimmy > >

I probably didn't search thoroughly or good enough.
More or less ReadyBoost is useless for me then. I'll try to google it
again for what it's worth.

But what about putting the -pagefile -(if really needed by some apps)
in a exeternal fast USB Flash Drive?
Would that work or be of any use?
Would I gain anything from that considering the R/W times of the USB FD
would be better than the HDD's.

--
jimSON
Richard Urban

Re: ReadyBoost Question
Why do you want to

1. Deteriorate the performance of your system?

2. Cripple programs that demand that a pagefile be present?

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"jimSON" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi there.
>
> I searched generally about this before posting but with no luck.
>
> I have a new system with the new Core i7 920 CPU (don't know if this
> matters ) and with 6 GB DDR3 RAM (1333Mhz 6x1BG) running Vista
> Business SP1 x64.
>
> I intend to disable the pagefile completely and to use a dedicated USB
> Flash Drive for ReadyBoost.
>
> - What size should this USB Flash Drive have?
> -I read somewhere that it should be a 2.5:1 ratio (in my case 15GB
> then) for high-end systems. Is that right?
> -
> - Do I have to configure the device on every Windows Boot again, so
> ReadyBoost is going to use it?
>
> Thank you for taking the time to read it.
>
> -Any answer will be appreciated and suggestions/advices if I should or
> not do this as well. -
>
> jimmy
>

> --
> jimSON

jimSON

Re: ReadyBoost Question

Well, I'm just looking around for ways to get rid or move the pagefile
since it isn't getting used much or not at all in my system.

I can see that this step could deteriorate the system performance, but
would it still cripple programs if the pagefile would be present on a
external flash drive ?

--
jimSON
joel406

Re: ReadyBoost Question

Leave your page file alone and use Readyboost if you want. I got a 4Gig
flash drive running Readyboost. Whether or not its helping...who knows?

Unless you got a 20gig HD forget about your pagefile. You system will
use the HD space if its needed on its own.

With that system you are pestering over nothing.

--
joel406
jimSON

Re: ReadyBoost Question

joel406;955699 Wrote:
> Leave your page file alone and use Readyboost if you want. I got a 4Gig
> flash drive running Readyboost. Whether or not its helping...who knows?
>
> Unless you got a 20gig HD forget about your pagefile. You system will
> use the HD space if its needed on its own.
>
> With that system you are pestering over nothing.

I probably will do that considering the responses I got here, but
reduce the size (or at least the max size of the pf) to a small number.

--
jimSON
Richard Urban

Re: ReadyBoost Question
Absolutely! The pagefile is best on the partition where the operating system
resides. A hard drive is faster than a USB device.

If you have another hard drive, on a **different** drive controller
(remember that there are 2 IDE drives per controller) you can place a large
pagefile on the other drive and keep a smaller pagefile on the system
partition. You will see that pagefile usage will be spread out between the
two.

--

> Well, I'm just looking around for ways to get rid or move the pagefile
> since it isn't getting used much or not at all in my system.
>
> I can see that this step could deteriorate the system performance, but
> would it still cripple programs if the pagefile would be present on a
> external flash drive ?
>
> Richard Urban;955683 Wrote:
>> Why do you want to
>>
>> 1. Deteriorate the performance of your system?
>>
>> 2. Cripple programs that demand that a pagefile be present?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>

>> "jimSON" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:ad98fc862a6d63a8806645a27ffcece1@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >

>> > USB

>> > or

> --
> jimSON

jimSON

Re: ReadyBoost Question

OK, thank you for making that clear to me.
I only have 1 HDD and it's on a SATA Controller, so placing the
pagefile anywhere else is out of the question.

--
jimSON
Richard Urban

Re: ReadyBoost Question
You will see no benefit in your situation. Leave it where it is.