Missing Vista Bluetooth component

cptphys

Missing Vista Bluetooth component

Am I the only one to experience this? After installing the Dell BT
radio, the device manager indicates hardware operable and up-to-date
driver. Vista control panel shows the BT icon but clicking on it gives
nothing. An instantaneous indication of the activity cursor appears, but
no dialog box and no error message. It is as though there is only
placeholder code giving a return. Anybody?

--
cptphys
Malke

Re: Missing Vista Bluetooth component
cptphys wrote:

> Am I the only one to experience this? After installing the Dell BT
> radio, the device manager indicates hardware operable and up-to-date
> driver. Vista control panel shows the BT icon but clicking on it gives
> nothing. An instantaneous indication of the activity cursor appears, but
> no dialog box and no error message. It is as though there is only
> placeholder code giving a return. Anybody?

Does the laptop actually have Bluetooth hardware installed? This is an extra
feature and not usually included in a standard build. If you paid for
Bluetooth hardware, the drivers would have already come preinstalled by
Dell. Why are you reinstalling? And finally, what does Dell tech support
have to say?

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

cptphys

Re: Missing Vista Bluetooth component

I bought Dells 355 BT and installed it. Device manager shows no
hardware problem and the driver is current. Dell support gave it a shot
with full control of the machine and gave up. Clean re-install was the
suggestion. Surely there is a way to repair/add missing components as
was the case for win2k and XP (or maybe not). I appreciate any
suggestions.

cptphys

cptphys wrote:

> I bought Dells 355 BT and installed it. Device manager shows no
> hardware problem and the driver is current. Dell support gave it a shot
> with full control of the machine and gave up. Clean re-install was the
> suggestion. Surely there is a way to repair/add missing components as
> was the case for win2k and XP (or maybe not). I appreciate any
> suggestions.

Physically reinstall the card. It doesn't sound like it was very hard to
install, but I'd take it out and do it again. Then see if it works. If it
does, great. If it doesn't, perhaps the card itself is defective. I
certainly wouldn't reinstall Windows (the stock bottom-tier tech support
answer) because it sounds like a hardware issue.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Curious

Re: Missing Vista Bluetooth component
I suggest you Google for
Dell 355 BT
you will see lots of links you can check out.