Installing Canon 9950F Scanner

A. Davis

Installing Canon 9950F Scanner
I have a Canon 9950F Scanner that I used on another computer that had
Windows XP operating system. I want to use this scanner on my new Dell XPS
computer with Vista Premium Home Edition. I have talked to Canon and they
downloaded the new Vista compatible software for installation of this
scanner. However, when we try to install this software, the scanner is not
recognized and does not show up as new hardware. I have a new all-in-one HP
printer that also has a scanner. The printer works OK. Canon thinks there
might be a conflict with the printer scanner and the Canon scanner causing
the non-recognition of the Canon scanner. Canon says they can do nothing
for me and I will have to go to Dell to get them to see if there is a
computer problem. Has anybody out there had such a problem and is there a
solution?

John

Re: Installing Canon 9950F Scanner
Simple test... uninstall the HP and disconnect it. Then connect the Canon
and restart the computer. See if installing the Canon software works now. If
it does, you have the answer. Assuming the Canon works and that's the device
you want to use, reconnect the HP and hopefully only the HP fax is disabled.

Another thought. See if in the HP setup you can disable the fax function. If
so, do it and then try installing the Canon.

"A. Davis" <awebdavis@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I have a Canon 9950F Scanner that I used on another computer that had
>Windows XP operating system. I want to use this scanner on my new Dell XPS
>computer with Vista Premium Home Edition. I have talked to Canon and they
>downloaded the new Vista compatible software for installation of this
>scanner. However, when we try to install this software, the scanner is not
>recognized and does not show up as new hardware. I have a new all-in-one
>HP printer that also has a scanner. The printer works OK. Canon thinks
>there might be a conflict with the printer scanner and the Canon scanner
>causing the non-recognition of the Canon scanner. Canon says they can do
>nothing for me and I will have to go to Dell to get them to see if there is
>a computer problem. Has anybody out there had such a problem and is there
>a solution?

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Installing Canon 9950F Scanner
You cannot attach more than one scanner to a PC.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"A. Davis" <awebdavis@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I have a Canon 9950F Scanner that I used on another computer that had
>Windows XP operating system. I want to use this scanner on my new Dell XPS
>computer with Vista Premium Home Edition. I have talked to Canon and they
>downloaded the new Vista compatible software for installation of this
>scanner. However, when we try to install this software, the scanner is not
>recognized and does not show up as new hardware. I have a new all-in-one
>HP printer that also has a scanner. The printer works OK. Canon thinks
>there might be a conflict with the printer scanner and the Canon scanner
>causing the non-recognition of the Canon scanner. Canon says they can do
>nothing for me and I will have to go to Dell to get them to see if there is
>a computer problem. Has anybody out there had such a problem and is there
>a solution?

LVTravel

"Cari (MS-MVP)" <newsgroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> You cannot attach more than one scanner to a PC.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "A. Davis" <awebdavis@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I have a Canon 9950F Scanner that I used on another computer that had
>>Windows XP operating system. I want to use this scanner on my new Dell
>>XPS computer with Vista Premium Home Edition. I have talked to Canon and
>>they downloaded the new Vista compatible software for installation of this
>>scanner. However, when we try to install this software, the scanner is
>>not recognized and does not show up as new hardware. I have a new
>>all-in-one HP printer that also has a scanner. The printer works OK.
>>Canon thinks there might be a conflict with the printer scanner and the
>>Canon scanner causing the non-recognition of the Canon scanner. Canon
>>says they can do nothing for me and I will have to go to Dell to get them
>>to see if there is a computer problem. Has anybody out there had such a
>>problem and is there a solution?

Cari, hate to disagree with you about more than one scanner but depending on
the drivers and scanning program selection you can. I have a Kodak 5100 AIO
with scanner, an Epson Perfection 1660 Photo and a Visioneer Road Warrior
connected to a desktop, via USB, that runs Vista Home Premium and have
connected the same equipment on a HP laptop with Vista Ultimate. While I
have to set the twain driver to use for each scan when I want to change
devices, I have no issue switching between them.

I use Jasc's Paint Shop Pro version 7.04 with the individual scanner's Twain
drivers to do most of my scanning but occasionally I will use Omni Page Pro
to do OCR with any or all of the scanners. I have also used Microsoft
Office 2003 & 2007 document imaging programs interchangeably with the above
scanners.

Richard Urban

Re: Installing Canon 9950F Scanner
Two scanners from the same manufacturer is what is likely causing your
problem.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Cari (MS-MVP)" <newsgroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> You cannot attach more than one scanner to a PC.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "A. Davis" <awebdavis@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I have a Canon 9950F Scanner that I used on another computer that had
>>Windows XP operating system. I want to use this scanner on my new Dell
>>XPS computer with Vista Premium Home Edition. I have talked to Canon and
>>they downloaded the new Vista compatible software for installation of this
>>scanner. However, when we try to install this software, the scanner is
>>not recognized and does not show up as new hardware. I have a new
>>all-in-one HP printer that also has a scanner. The printer works OK.
>>Canon thinks there might be a conflict with the printer scanner and the
>>Canon scanner causing the non-recognition of the Canon scanner. Canon
>>says they can do nothing for me and I will have to go to Dell to get them
>>to see if there is a computer problem. Has anybody out there had such a
>>problem and is there a solution?

A. Davis

Re: Installing Canon 9950F Scanner
John, Cari, Richard,
Thanks for your input to my troubles. Formerly I had a Dell XPS computer
with Windows XP, an HP psc 750xi printer that had a scanner and I used this
Canon CanoScan 9950F scanner to scan hundreds of photographic slides onto my
computer. No problem. In the fall, due to lack of memory, I bought a Dell
XPS 630i computer with Windows Vista Home Premium, and also an HP Officejet
Pro L7590 All-In One Printer. Due to other problems trying to get a Sony
Turntable to work with this system, I had not hooked up my Canon scanner to
try scanning again. Canon does not make or sell this scanner any longer but
they have put out software to supposedly make it work with Vista. I spent
more than an hour on the phone with Canon to try and install this new
software the other day and with no success. I have contacted HP and they
say I can't disable the Fax function on the new printer. I still have
hundreds of slides, some more than 50 years old, that I need to scan and
download. I thought I was improving my system by increasing my memory
capacity but in so doing I have apparently shot myself in the foot and can
now not scan any more slides. I am thoroughly disgusted with Windows Vista
since everywhere I seem to turn it gives me more problems.

"John" <me@myhome.net> wrote in message
> Simple test... uninstall the HP and disconnect it. Then connect the Canon
> and restart the computer. See if installing the Canon software works now.
> If it does, you have the answer. Assuming the Canon works and that's the
> device you want to use, reconnect the HP and hopefully only the HP fax is
> disabled.
>
> Another thought. See if in the HP setup you can disable the fax function.
> If so, do it and then try installing the Canon.
>

> "A. Davis" <awebdavis@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I have a Canon 9950F Scanner that I used on another computer that had
>>Windows XP operating system. I want to use this scanner on my new Dell
>>XPS computer with Vista Premium Home Edition. I have talked to Canon and
>>they downloaded the new Vista compatible software for installation of this
>>scanner. However, when we try to install this software, the scanner is
>>not recognized and does not show up as new hardware. I have a new
>>all-in-one HP printer that also has a scanner. The printer works OK.
>>Canon thinks there might be a conflict with the printer scanner and the
>>Canon scanner causing the non-recognition of the Canon scanner. Canon
>>says they can do nothing for me and I will have to go to Dell to get them
>>to see if there is a computer problem. Has anybody out there had such a
>>problem and is there a solution?

Richard Urban

Re: Installing Canon 9950F Scanner
I ask. What does Vista have to do with this particular problem. You would
have the same problem with Win 98 and with Windows XP.

It is a limitation caused by YOU connecting two scanners of the same
manufacture. It has little to do with the operating system. My older Canon
scanner and my HP printer combo get along just fine. They are seen as two
different imaging devices and I can choose which to use in a particular
situation.

--

news0BB0B24-50C7-46E8-BA98-9AEC4FC7256D@microsoft.com...
> John, Cari, Richard,
> Thanks for your input to my troubles. Formerly I had a Dell XPS
> computer with Windows XP, an HP psc 750xi printer that had a scanner and I
> used this Canon CanoScan 9950F scanner to scan hundreds of photographic
> slides onto my computer. No problem. In the fall, due to lack of memory,
> I bought a Dell XPS 630i computer with Windows Vista Home Premium, and
> also an HP Officejet Pro L7590 All-In One Printer. Due to other problems
> trying to get a Sony Turntable to work with this system, I had not hooked
> up my Canon scanner to try scanning again. Canon does not make or sell
> this scanner any longer but they have put out software to supposedly make
> it work with Vista. I spent more than an hour on the phone with Canon to
> try and install this new software the other day and with no success. I
> have contacted HP and they say I can't disable the Fax function on the new
> printer. I still have hundreds of slides, some more than 50 years old,
> that I need to scan and download. I thought I was improving my system by
> increasing my memory capacity but in so doing I have apparently shot
> myself in the foot and can now not scan any more slides. I am thoroughly
> disgusted with Windows Vista since everywhere I seem to turn it gives me
> more problems.
>

> "John" <me@myhome.net> wrote in message
>> Simple test... uninstall the HP and disconnect it. Then connect the Canon
>> and restart the computer. See if installing the Canon software works now.
>> If it does, you have the answer. Assuming the Canon works and that's the
>> device you want to use, reconnect the HP and hopefully only the HP fax is
>> disabled.
>>
>> Another thought. See if in the HP setup you can disable the fax function.
>> If so, do it and then try installing the Canon.
>>

>> "A. Davis" <awebdavis@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>I have a Canon 9950F Scanner that I used on another computer that had
>>>Windows XP operating system. I want to use this scanner on my new Dell
>>>XPS computer with Vista Premium Home Edition. I have talked to Canon and
>>>they downloaded the new Vista compatible software for installation of
>>>this scanner. However, when we try to install this software, the scanner
>>>is not recognized and does not show up as new hardware. I have a new
>>>all-in-one HP printer that also has a scanner. The printer works OK.
>>>Canon thinks there might be a conflict with the printer scanner and the
>>>Canon scanner causing the non-recognition of the Canon scanner. Canon
>>>says they can do nothing for me and I will have to go to Dell to get them
>>>to see if there is a computer problem. Has anybody out there had such a
>>>problem and is there a solution?

A. Davis

Re: Installing Canon 9950F Scanner
Richard,
You did not read my last input very well. I stated that formerly I had a
computer with Windows XP and a HP printer that had a scanner. This Canon
scanner worked great with that combination. Now that is a system with two
scanners but a different operating system. Now, do you see why I blame
Vista? I have also uninstalled my new HP printer with the scanner and still
could not get this Canon scanner to install. So, that is more ammunition
that Vista is at fault.
>I ask. What does Vista have to do with this particular problem. You would
>have the same problem with Win 98 and with Windows XP.
>
> It is a limitation caused by YOU connecting two scanners of the same
> manufacture. It has little to do with the operating system. My older Canon
> scanner and my HP printer combo get along just fine. They are seen as two
> different imaging devices and I can choose which to use in a particular
> situation.
>
> --
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience
>

> "A. Davis" <awebdavis@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news0BB0B24-50C7-46E8-BA98-9AEC4FC7256D@microsoft.com...
>> John, Cari, Richard,
>> Thanks for your input to my troubles. Formerly I had a Dell XPS
>> computer with Windows XP, an HP psc 750xi printer that had a scanner and
>> I used this Canon CanoScan 9950F scanner to scan hundreds of photographic
>> slides onto my computer. No problem. In the fall, due to lack of
>> memory, I bought a Dell XPS 630i computer with Windows Vista Home
>> Premium, and also an HP Officejet Pro L7590 All-In One Printer. Due to
>> other problems trying to get a Sony Turntable to work with this system, I
>> had not hooked up my Canon scanner to try scanning again. Canon does not
>> make or sell this scanner any longer but they have put out software to
>> supposedly make it work with Vista. I spent more than an hour on the
>> phone with Canon to try and install this new software the other day and
>> with no success. I have contacted HP and they say I can't disable the
>> Fax function on the new printer. I still have hundreds of slides, some
>> more than 50 years old, that I need to scan and download. I thought I
>> was improving my system by increasing my memory capacity but in so doing
>> I have apparently shot myself in the foot and can now not scan any more
>> slides. I am thoroughly disgusted with Windows Vista since everywhere I
>> seem to turn it gives me more problems.
>>

>> "John" <me@myhome.net> wrote in message
>>> Simple test... uninstall the HP and disconnect it. Then connect the
>>> Canon and restart the computer. See if installing the Canon software
>>> works now. If it does, you have the answer. Assuming the Canon works and
>>> that's the device you want to use, reconnect the HP and hopefully only
>>> the HP fax is disabled.
>>>
>>> Another thought. See if in the HP setup you can disable the fax
>>> function. If so, do it and then try installing the Canon.

Richard Urban

Re: Installing Canon 9950F Scanner
AH! OK then.

Here is what I have seen happen. It appears that my Canon scanner goes
"unrecognized" after being plugged in and ready to go. The time frame is
anywhere from 1-4 weeks. If the scanner has been plugged in this long, and I
do a reinstall of the operating system (starting from scratch) I find that
the scanner will not install. So, what do I do?

Simple! I unplug the power to the scanner - wait for about 30 seconds, and
then plug it back in. The system immediately recognizes that new hardware is
available and asks me to install the drivers for it. From that point on I am
golden - until it (whatever "it" really is) happens again. Then I just
re-initialize the scanner to get it working yet again (power cycle with the
plug).

BTW: My scanner connects via the USB ports.

--

> Richard,
> You did not read my last input very well. I stated that formerly I had
> a computer with Windows XP and a HP printer that had a scanner. This
> Canon scanner worked great with that combination. Now that is a system
> with two scanners but a different operating system. Now, do you see why I
> blame Vista? I have also uninstalled my new HP printer with the scanner
> and still could not get this Canon scanner to install. So, that is more
> ammunition that Vista is at fault.
>>I ask. What does Vista have to do with this particular problem. You would
>>have the same problem with Win 98 and with Windows XP.
>>
>> It is a limitation caused by YOU connecting two scanners of the same
>> manufacture. It has little to do with the operating system. My older
>> Canon scanner and my HP printer combo get along just fine. They are seen
>> as two different imaging devices and I can choose which to use in a
>> particular situation.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>

>> "A. Davis" <awebdavis@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> news0BB0B24-50C7-46E8-BA98-9AEC4FC7256D@microsoft.com...
>>> John, Cari, Richard,
>>> Thanks for your input to my troubles. Formerly I had a Dell XPS
>>> computer with Windows XP, an HP psc 750xi printer that had a scanner and
>>> I used this Canon CanoScan 9950F scanner to scan hundreds of
>>> photographic slides onto my computer. No problem. In the fall, due to
>>> lack of memory, I bought a Dell XPS 630i computer with Windows Vista
>>> Home Premium, and also an HP Officejet Pro L7590 All-In One Printer.
>>> Due to other problems trying to get a Sony Turntable to work with this
>>> system, I had not hooked up my Canon scanner to try scanning again.
>>> Canon does not make or sell this scanner any longer but they have put
>>> out software to supposedly make it work with Vista. I spent more than
>>> an hour on the phone with Canon to try and install this new software the
>>> other day and with no success. I have contacted HP and they say I can't
>>> disable the Fax function on the new printer. I still have hundreds of
>>> slides, some more than 50 years old, that I need to scan and download.
>>> I thought I was improving my system by increasing my memory capacity but
>>> in so doing I have apparently shot myself in the foot and can now not
>>> scan any more slides. I am thoroughly disgusted with Windows Vista
>>> since everywhere I seem to turn it gives me more problems.

theanswer

Re: Installing Canon 9950F Scanner

I have the 9950F and am unable to install any drivers for it on Vista.
When I open the 64 bit drivers from the canon site it says " These
drivers are not compatible with 64bit windows" or somthing along thse
lines

--
theanswer
theanswer's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/theanswer.htm