Missing Operating System

iSlash

Missing Operating System

I read another thread and it mentions that I should use the system
recovery.

I put in my Vista DVD, and chose it but it doesn't show any OS (which
is not surprising). I don't know where the drivers are though, should I
try repair without any, find them (with your help if you know where they
are) or install Vista again (will all my files still be there?)

--
iSlash
iSlash's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/islash.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

shankyrhodes

Re: Missing Operating System

One of the Largest Community website where you can find the Field
Engineer jobs.where you can
find all type of Engineer jobs like Electronic Engineer jobs,Civil
Engineer jobs,Electrical Engineer jobs.

--
shankyrhodes
Malke

iSlash wrote:

> I read another thread and it mentions that I should use the system
> recovery.
>
> I put in my Vista DVD, and chose it but it doesn't show any OS (which
> is not surprising). I don't know where the drivers are though, should I
> try repair without any, find them (with your help if you know where they
> are) or install Vista again (will all my files still be there?)

You need to provide a lot of missing information before we can give you
answers to the above questions. What happened to this machine? What is its
recent history? Why isn't it surprising that your operating system doesn't
show up? What troubleshooting have you already done? What kind of computer
is this? Laptop/desktop, OEM (HP, Dell, etc.) or generic-built? Is your
hard drive seen in the BIOS?

Here are links to help you with your next post:

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

iSlash

Malke;4210260 Wrote:
> iSlash wrote:
>

> > I read another thread and it mentions that I should use the system
> > recovery.
> >
> > I put in my Vista DVD, and chose it but it doesn't show any OS (which
> > is not surprising). I don't know where the drivers are though, should

> > try repair without any, find them (with your help if you know where

> they
> > are) or install Vista again (will all my files still be there?)

> You need to provide a lot of missing information before we can give you
> answers to the above questions. What happened to this machine? What is
> its
> recent history? Why isn't it surprising that your operating system
> doesn't
> show up? What troubleshooting have you already done? What kind of
> computer
> is this? Laptop/desktop, OEM (HP, Dell, etc.) or generic-built? Is your
> hard drive seen in the BIOS?
>
> Here are links to help you with your next post:
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375 - How to Ask a
> Question
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

My machine turns up with the black screen with 'Missing Operating
System'. When I put my Vista DVD in and try to repair it, there are no
operating systems (which is obvious as I am apparently missing them) and
it asks me to find the drivers for it which I can't find.

My computer is custom built and yeah, I do see my hard drive on my BIOS
but before it says 'Missing Operating System', there's a page before it
stating that there are No Harddrives detected.

In the command prompt, I have also tried scanning for an Os
(bootrec.exe/scanos) but it can't find anything.

--
iSlash
iSlash's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/islash.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-har...es/1112157.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Mike Torello

Malke <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Here are links to help you with your next post:
>
>http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet

Stupendous. I will use that in the future rather than the "goodpost"
link.
Malke

iSlash wrote:

> My machine turns up with the black screen with 'Missing Operating
> System'. When I put my Vista DVD in and try to repair it, there are no
> operating systems (which is obvious as I am apparently missing them) and
> it asks me to find the drivers for it which I can't find.
>
> My computer is custom built and yeah, I do see my hard drive on my BIOS
> but before it says 'Missing Operating System', there's a page before it
> stating that there are No Harddrives detected.
>
> In the command prompt, I have also tried scanning for an Os
> (bootrec.exe/scanos) but it can't find anything.

OK, first I would test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility downloaded
from the drive mftr. (or use Seagate's SeaTools For DOS). There is no point
in trying to install the operating system on faulty hardware. You will
create a bootable CD with the file you download. You will need third-party
burning software to do this such as Roxio, Nero, or the free CDBurnerXP
Pro. Burn as an image, not as data.

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Boot with the CD you made and do a thorough test of the drive. If it fails
any physical tests, replace it.

If the hard drive is physically good, then you will need the SATA drive
controller drivers. I believe that Vista will let you have them on a USB
stick. You would get these drivers from the motherboard mftr.'s website or
you may even have them in the CDs provided to you with the computer by the
builder.

Then when you boot with the Vista DVD and start the installation, you will
see where you can point the install to the additional drivers.

I should point out that if you have data on that drive you didn't back up,
it *might* be possible to retrieve it before installing Windows. Assuming
that the hard drive is physically viable, you can use data recovery
software to see if any data can be saved. R-Studio is a good one.

R-Studio - http://www.r-tt.com/

Malke