Vista 64 recognizes 4Gb but only uses 3Gb!!

nadrm

Vista 64 recognizes 4Gb but only uses 3Gb!!

hi to all and tnx in advance for support,
i've installed 4Gb RAM on my Notebook Toshiba with Intel T5500,
Northbridge Intel i945PM rev. 03 and Southbridge Intel 82801GHM (ICH7-M
DH) rev. 02.
After memory update i've installed *Vista x64 Ultimate SP1* and System
Info under Control Panel says 4,00Gb Ram Memory but *Task Manager says
only 3069Mb Physical Memory*.
Moreover i ran msconfig and deselected MaxMemory flag in Advanced
Options under Boot tab (as i saw somewhere on internet )but nothing
changes. The bios recognizes correctly 4Gb, and programs like CPU-Z
recognizes 4Gb, but msinfo says:

- - Installed Physical Memory (RAM): *4Gb*-
- - Total Physical Memory: *3Gb*.-

What can i do? Supposedly either chipset or bios supports correctly
4gb, and i haven't found any case like this on Google. Any help?
Thanks a lot and sorry my poor english....

--
nadrm
Paul Shapiro

Re: Vista 64 recognizes 4Gb but only uses 3Gb!!
Check your BIOS settings for something like Memory Mapping and make sure its
enabled. The option name is not always the same, but the feature allows the
system to remap memory around any memory in use by physical devices, like a
video card.

"nadrm" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> hi to all and tnx in advance for support,
> i've installed 4Gb RAM on my Notebook Toshiba with Intel T5500,
> Northbridge Intel i945PM rev. 03 and Southbridge Intel 82801GHM (ICH7-M
> DH) rev. 02.
> After memory update i've installed *Vista x64 Ultimate SP1* and System
> Info under Control Panel says 4,00Gb Ram Memory but *Task Manager says
> only 3069Mb Physical Memory*.
> Moreover i ran msconfig and deselected MaxMemory flag in Advanced
> Options under Boot tab (as i saw somewhere on internet )but nothing
> changes. The bios recognizes correctly 4Gb, and programs like CPU-Z
> recognizes 4Gb, but msinfo says:
>

> - - Installed Physical Memory (RAM): *4Gb*-
> - - Total Physical Memory: *3Gb*.-
>
> What can i do? Supposedly either chipset or bios supports correctly
> 4gb, and i haven't found any case like this on Google. Any help?

nadrm

Re: Vista 64 recognizes 4Gb but only uses 3Gb!!

no kind of Memory Management found in Bios...is very poor, like any
laptop bios... *
*further suggestions?

--
nadrm
Curious

Re: Vista 64 recognizes 4Gb but only uses 3Gb!!
Apparently your MOBO does not support more than 4MB of memory so Remap is
not available. Therefore the OS has reserved 1GB of memory address space for
the use of hardware in the system such as graphics that has its own memory
but requires memory address space. This then leaves 3GB of physical memory
for use by the OS.

> no kind of Memory Management found in Bios...is very poor, like any
> laptop bios... *
> *further suggestions?
>

> --
> nadrm

nadrm

Re: Vista 64 recognizes 4Gb but only uses 3Gb!!

wow, this could be a very bad news...i'll ask Toshiba tech support about
this!
I have read all user's guides availables without a specification about
maximum memory supported....

--
nadrm
Curious

Re: Vista 64 recognizes 4Gb but only uses 3Gb!!
What applications do you need to run on your laptop that require that you
have more the 3GB of available real memory?

> wow, this could be a very bad news...i'll ask Toshiba tech support about
> this!
> I have read all user's guides availables without a specification about
> maximum memory supported....
>

> --
> nadrm

nadrm

Re: Vista 64 recognizes 4Gb but only uses 3Gb!!

for example VMWare...but the question is more complex (i think): i have
an hardware with installed (and paid for) 4Gb and i can use "only" 3Gb,
thus i want to know WHY and want to solve this problem, nothing else.
Is there something wrong with this? Toshiba didn't say me anything about
max installable memory...try to install Linux??

--
nadrm
dennis

nadrm wrote:
> wow, this could be a very bad news...i'll ask Toshiba tech support about
> this!
> I have read all user's guides availables without a specification about
> maximum memory supported....

From the specs at intel.com:

"The Mobile Intel 945GM/GME/PM and Intel 945GT Express Chipsets support
up to 4 GB of addressable memory space"

So bad news it seems
Moomooboy

Re: Vista 64 recognizes 4Gb but only uses 3Gb!!
Hi Guys,

First Post, i believe 945 chipset has a limitation of 2GB, because if i'm
correct all the netbooks use 945 chipset, but maybe there was a high end
version of 945 which takes more RAM.

so i believe it's a chipset limitation here boys and girls!.

Regards

"dennis" <1@1.invalid> wrote in message
> nadrm wrote:
>> wow, this could be a very bad news...i'll ask Toshiba tech support about
>> this!
>> I have read all user's guides availables without a specification about
>> maximum memory supported....
>>

> From the specs at intel.com:
>
> "The Mobile Intel 945GM/GME/PM and Intel 945GT Express Chipsets support up
> to 4 GB of addressable memory space"
>
> So bad news it seems

nadrm

Re: Vista 64 recognizes 4Gb but only uses 3Gb!!

seems that intel 945 chipset has 32bit memory controller, thus it's the
same thing install Vista 32 or 64...disappointment!!:cry:

--
nadrm