My PC is so Noisy!!!

Waynester

My PC is so Noisy!!!

Hi everyone

at times my PC is very quiet, well....almost
i would say "tolerable" as computers go :sarc:

then at times, it sounds like a gale force wind is blowing through it!
ITS BECOMING SO ANNOYING!! AARRGGHHHHH

what would be the main cause of this? is it the power supply or the
fan(s) inside it

sorry for such a "how long is a bit of string question"
but just wanted to know where i start with replacing items to make it
nice and Quiet
dont want to waste money if i can help it

my PC Specs are here
http://h20195.www2.hp.com/PDF/c00592575.pdf

i have 4GB of Ram running Windows Vista Premium, and i have this
Graphics Card installed in it
'Inno3D Geforce 8500GT 800MHz 512MB Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk:
Electronics & Photo'
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inno3D-Gefor.../dp/B000Q2LRYA)

--
Waynester
RalfG

Re: My PC is so Noisy!!!
Any or all of the fans in your computer could be causing the noise. The
periods of "gale force winds" suggest an overheating condition, probably of
your CPU but it could as easily be your video card. A lot of power supplies
came with single speed fans that are typically noisy. Better PSUs have speed
controlled fans that react to temperature changes and will run quiet most of
the time. If you've had the computer a while, or even if not, excessive
periods of the CPU fan running at high speed may indicate it isn't being
cooled properly. Especially if you aren't doing anything on the PC to stress
the CPU. It may indicate that the heat sink needs cleaning or reseating or
that the thermal grease has dried up and isn't conducting heat efficiently
anymore.

If money is not an issue you can buy quieter replacement cooling fans for
the CPU, video card, case fan (if one is installed) and a new quieter PSU.
Gamers/overclockers forums might be the better place to get
advice/recommendations about brands etc..

"Waynester" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi everyone
>
> at times my PC is very quiet, well....almost
> i would say "tolerable" as computers go :sarc:
>
> then at times, it sounds like a gale force wind is blowing through it!
> ITS BECOMING SO ANNOYING!! AARRGGHHHHH
>
> what would be the main cause of this? is it the power supply or the
> fan(s) inside it
>
> sorry for such a "how long is a bit of string question"
> but just wanted to know where i start with replacing items to make it
> nice and Quiet
> dont want to waste money if i can help it
>
> my PC Specs are here
> http://h20195.www2.hp.com/PDF/c00592575.pdf
>
> i have 4GB of Ram running Windows Vista Premium, and i have this
> Graphics Card installed in it
> 'Inno3D Geforce 8500GT 800MHz 512MB Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk:
> Electronics & Photo'
> (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inno3D-Gefor.../dp/B000Q2LRYA)
>

> --
> Waynester

Rich.

Re: My PC is so Noisy!!!
Same thing just happened to me last week. So I opened the case and found a
nice think layer of dust on my CPU heat sink. I unplugged everything and
took the tower out to my garage where I took the air hose and blew every
speck of dust out of there. It runs nice and quiet now.

TIP: If you use compressed air to clean it out, make sure you hold each of
the fans from turning while directing air at it to avoid destroying the
fan's bearings.

"Waynester" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi everyone
>
> at times my PC is very quiet, well....almost
> i would say "tolerable" as computers go :sarc:
>
> then at times, it sounds like a gale force wind is blowing through it!
> ITS BECOMING SO ANNOYING!! AARRGGHHHHH
>
> what would be the main cause of this? is it the power supply or the
> fan(s) inside it
>
> sorry for such a "how long is a bit of string question"
> but just wanted to know where i start with replacing items to make it
> nice and Quiet
> dont want to waste money if i can help it
>
> my PC Specs are here
> http://h20195.www2.hp.com/PDF/c00592575.pdf
>
> i have 4GB of Ram running Windows Vista Premium, and i have this
> Graphics Card installed in it
> 'Inno3D Geforce 8500GT 800MHz 512MB Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk:
> Electronics & Photo'
> (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inno3D-Gefor.../dp/B000Q2LRYA)
>

> --
> Waynester

PvdG42

Re: My PC is so Noisy!!!

"Waynester" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi everyone
>
> at times my PC is very quiet, well....almost
> i would say "tolerable" as computers go :sarc:
>
> then at times, it sounds like a gale force wind is blowing through it!
> ITS BECOMING SO ANNOYING!! AARRGGHHHHH
>
> what would be the main cause of this? is it the power supply or the
> fan(s) inside it
>
> sorry for such a "how long is a bit of string question"
> but just wanted to know where i start with replacing items to make it
> nice and Quiet
> dont want to waste money if i can help it
>
> my PC Specs are here
> http://h20195.www2.hp.com/PDF/c00592575.pdf
>
> i have 4GB of Ram running Windows Vista Premium, and i have this
> Graphics Card installed in it
> 'Inno3D Geforce 8500GT 800MHz 512MB Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk:
> Electronics & Photo'
> (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inno3D-Gefor.../dp/B000Q2LRYA)
>

> --
> Waynester

If you clean as suggested, *do not* be tempted to use a household vacuum
cleaner! They generate more than enough static electricity to fry your
components.