Vista 32 doesn't recognize canon powershot sd1100IS

BANTAR1000

Vista 32 doesn't recognize canon powershot sd1100IS

I bought this camera Saturday. I have vista home basic / 32.

When I plug the camera in, I get a message "Device Driver software was
not successfully installed"
Under that it says "Digital Still Camera - Failed"

I've installed, uninstalled, done everything I can think of. Canon
said Vista doesn't have the drivers for it. Compaq said MS should make
drivers for it.

When the camera is plugged in, under Portable Devices in Device manager
there is a "Digital Camera" with a yellow flag on it. Un plug it and,
it disappears.

I took it to another pc, it works fine in other vista machines, and I
use and ipod and an older Sony camera in any other USB2 port with
DIFFERENT cables!!! I don't want a card reader. Can anyone else think
of anything??? Thanks so much in advance.

--
BANTAR1000
BANTAR1000's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/bantar1000.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista 32 doesn't recognize canon powershot sd1100IS
Have you looked for drivers at Windows Update while the camera is still
connected?
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"BANTAR1000" <BANTAR1000.3mmamc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I bought this camera Saturday. I have vista home basic / 32.
>
> When I plug the camera in, I get a message "Device Driver software was
> not successfully installed"
> Under that it says "Digital Still Camera - Failed"
>
> I've installed, uninstalled, done everything I can think of. Canon
> said Vista doesn't have the drivers for it. Compaq said MS should make
> drivers for it.
>
> When the camera is plugged in, under Portable Devices in Device manager
> there is a "Digital Camera" with a yellow flag on it. Un plug it and,
> it disappears.
>
> I took it to another pc, it works fine in other vista machines, and I
> use and ipod and an older Sony camera in any other USB2 port with
> DIFFERENT cables!!! I don't want a card reader. Can anyone else think
> of anything??? Thanks so much in advance.
>

> --
> BANTAR1000
> BANTAR1000's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/bantar1000.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/vista-har...es/1108490.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Curious

Re: Vista 32 doesn't recognize canon powershot sd1100IS
If Cannon said Vista doesn't have drivers for it then you will not get any
drivers using Vista Win Update.
MS does not write drivers for vendors hardware, what Compaq said is
therefore incorrect.
Cannon is responsible for developing the drivers and then Compaq can submit
them to MS for inclusion on the WHQL and if approved then they would be
available with Win Update.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" <newsgroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> Have you looked for drivers at Windows Update while the camera is still
> connected?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "BANTAR1000" <BANTAR1000.3mmamc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I bought this camera Saturday. I have vista home basic / 32.
>>
>> When I plug the camera in, I get a message "Device Driver software was
>> not successfully installed"
>> Under that it says "Digital Still Camera - Failed"
>>
>> I've installed, uninstalled, done everything I can think of. Canon
>> said Vista doesn't have the drivers for it. Compaq said MS should make
>> drivers for it.
>>
>> When the camera is plugged in, under Portable Devices in Device manager
>> there is a "Digital Camera" with a yellow flag on it. Un plug it and,
>> it disappears.
>>
>> I took it to another pc, it works fine in other vista machines, and I
>> use and ipod and an older Sony camera in any other USB2 port with
>> DIFFERENT cables!!! I don't want a card reader. Can anyone else think
>> of anything??? Thanks so much in advance.
>>

>> --
>> BANTAR1000
>> BANTAR1000's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/bantar1000.htm
>> View this thread:
>> http://forums.techarena.in/vista-har...es/1108490.htm
>>
>> http://forums.techarena.in

Manny Weisbord

"Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote:

>If Cannon said Vista doesn't have drivers for it then you will not get any
>drivers using Vista Win Update.
>MS does not write drivers for vendors hardware, what Compaq said is
>therefore incorrect.
>Cannon is responsible for developing the drivers and then Compaq can submit
>them to MS for inclusion on the WHQL and if approved then they would be
>available with Win Update.

"Cannon" is a weapon, or a textile brand made by a company that is no
longer in business. "Canon" is a brand of digital equipment ;-)
BANTAR1000

Re: Vista 32 doesn't recognize canon powershot sd1100IS

this is starting to sound like a preacher. "Well, it's a mystery..."

I took it to two other techs that I know, and the general idea is,
seeing as if noone sells a pc anymore that has a real copy of Vista...
They think the version that was put on my pc was corrupt. I got to try
several other camera brands over the weekend, and they worked fine in
it.

--
BANTAR1000
BANTAR1000's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/bantar1000.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-har...es/1108490.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Chuck2009

Re: Vista 32 doesn't recognize canon powershot sd1100IS

I ran into this problem today, found this thread on a Google search.

I had copied files from the camera (same make and model) before, so I
was mystified when my PC didn't recognize it today. Figured maybe a
Windows Update had changed something.

Turns out all it was is that the camera itself has to be in Preview (at
least I think it's called Preview mode).

The little black switch at the top right of the back of the camera that
has 3 positions - slide it to the bottom position. One of your pictures
should be showing in the viewfinder (as opposed to a "live" preview).

Now connect it to your PC via the USB cable and you should be OK.

--
Chuck2009
Chuck2009's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/114028.htm