How can I turn on my computer?

Bob Newman

How can I turn on my computer?
I have my Vista laptop (HP) hooked up to an external monitor, I have been
using the sleep mode at night. The laptop is closed and on a shelf that is
very hard to get to. I would like to shut it off at night. I can shut it
off with the keyboard. Is there any way possibly software controlled to
turn it back on? To reach the power button on the laptop you must first
raise the lid which there is not room to do.

Thanks... Bob

Spirit

Re: How can I turn on my computer?
http://www.totalidea.com/product.php?Product=TweakVI

Also installs StandBy, Restart, and ShutDown icons.

"Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have my Vista laptop (HP) hooked up to an external monitor, I have been
>using the sleep mode at night. The laptop is closed and on a shelf that is
>very hard to get to. I would like to shut it off at night. I can shut it
>off with the keyboard. Is there any way possibly software controlled to
>turn it back on? To reach the power button on the laptop you must first
>raise the lid which there is not room to do.
>
> Thanks... Bob

Spirit

Re: How can I turn on my computer?
Oh sorry, you said ON......

"Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have my Vista laptop (HP) hooked up to an external monitor, I have been
>using the sleep mode at night. The laptop is closed and on a shelf that is
>very hard to get to. I would like to shut it off at night. I can shut it
>off with the keyboard. Is there any way possibly software controlled to
>turn it back on? To reach the power button on the laptop you must first
>raise the lid which there is not room to do.
>
> Thanks... Bob

Rick Rogers

Re: How can I turn on my computer?
You can't use a software solution when the system is shutdown, there's
nothing to execute the command or respond to it.

Your best bet would be something like a 'wake on lan' feature in the system
BIOS. These can be set to power on the system as a response to an event like
a ping from a lan or ring on a modem.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have my Vista laptop (HP) hooked up to an external monitor, I have been
>using the sleep mode at night. The laptop is closed and on a shelf that is
>very hard to get to. I would like to shut it off at night. I can shut it
>off with the keyboard. Is there any way possibly software controlled to
>turn it back on? To reach the power button on the laptop you must first
>raise the lid which there is not room to do.
>
> Thanks... Bob

Bob Newman

Re: How can I turn on my computer?
You wouldn't be able to use the "wake" without a 2nd computer right?

Bob

> You can't use a software solution when the system is shutdown, there's
> nothing to execute the command or respond to it.
>
> Your best bet would be something like a 'wake on lan' feature in the
> system BIOS. These can be set to power on the system as a response to an
> event like a ping from a lan or ring on a modem.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote in message
>>I have my Vista laptop (HP) hooked up to an external monitor, I have been
>>using the sleep mode at night. The laptop is closed and on a shelf that
>>is very hard to get to. I would like to shut it off at night. I can shut
>>it off with the keyboard. Is there any way possibly software controlled
>>to turn it back on? To reach the power button on the laptop you must
>>first raise the lid which there is not room to do.
>>
>> Thanks... Bob

andy

Re: How can I turn on my computer?
Use scheduled tasks.

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:48:42 -0500, "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net>
wrote:

>I have my Vista laptop (HP) hooked up to an external monitor, I have been
>using the sleep mode at night. The laptop is closed and on a shelf that is
>very hard to get to. I would like to shut it off at night. I can shut it
>off with the keyboard. Is there any way possibly software controlled to
>turn it back on? To reach the power button on the laptop you must first
>raise the lid which there is not room to do.
>
>Thanks... Bob

Rick Rogers

Re: How can I turn on my computer?
Hi,

Yes, you would need some method of initiating activity. Whether that be
another pc, or the telephone ringing.

--

> You wouldn't be able to use the "wake" without a 2nd computer right?
>
> Bob

>> You can't use a software solution when the system is shutdown, there's
>> nothing to execute the command or respond to it.
>>
>> Your best bet would be something like a 'wake on lan' feature in the
>> system BIOS. These can be set to power on the system as a response to an
>> event like a ping from a lan or ring on a modem.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote in message
>>>I have my Vista laptop (HP) hooked up to an external monitor, I have been
>>>using the sleep mode at night. The laptop is closed and on a shelf that
>>>is very hard to get to. I would like to shut it off at night. I can
>>>shut it off with the keyboard. Is there any way possibly software
>>>controlled to turn it back on? To reach the power button on the laptop
>>>you must first raise the lid which there is not room to do.
>>>
>>> Thanks... Bob

Spirit

Re: How can I turn on my computer?
Can't use Scheduled Tasks unless the Computer
is already on.

"andy" <bogusaddress@bogusaddress.123> wrote in message
> Use scheduled tasks.
>
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:48:42 -0500, "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I have my Vista laptop (HP) hooked up to an external monitor, I have been
>>using the sleep mode at night. The laptop is closed and on a shelf that
>>is
>>very hard to get to. I would like to shut it off at night. I can shut it
>>off with the keyboard. Is there any way possibly software controlled to
>>turn it back on? To reach the power button on the laptop you must first
>>raise the lid which there is not room to do.
>>
>>Thanks... Bob

Max Goldman

Re: How can I turn on my computer?
andy <bogusaddress@bogusaddress.123> wrote:

>Use scheduled tasks.

Einstein you ain't.

Tell the class how a scheduled task can run on a computer that is
completely shut down.

We're waiting.................

>On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:48:42 -0500, "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I have my Vista laptop (HP) hooked up to an external monitor, I have been
>>using the sleep mode at night. The laptop is closed and on a shelf that is
>>very hard to get to. I would like to shut it off at night. I can shut it
>>off with the keyboard. Is there any way possibly software controlled to
>>turn it back on? To reach the power button on the laptop you must first
>>raise the lid which there is not room to do.
>>
>>Thanks... Bob

Bob Newman

Re: How can I turn on my computer?
Now, now. Play nice boys.