1.5 TB drive formatting errors

colt

1.5 TB drive formatting errors

First off, thanks ahead for any and all help. I just stepped into the
Vista world and built a couple of PCs to play with. I'm running Vista
Ultimate x64 and using Seagate 1.5TB SATA drives. I can't create a
volume larger than 100 gig, if I try to make the whole drive one volume,
it will not format and I get device I/O errors reported. I can create a
100 gig drive and that's it, the last 400+ is lost forever..lol..Is this
the limit vista will see?
I have tried a standard format on it that lasted 4 days and then went
with the quick format, both have the same results. Now, I have also
tried creating a 99 gig volume and then expanding it, the amount
expanded shows up in disk management, but is not there in real life,
only the original 99 gig...

Thanks,
Stumped

--
colt
Gary G. Little

Re: 1.5 TB drive formatting errors
Have you called tech support, if nothing else to report the problem? Seagate
currently offers a 5 year warranty, and will replace the drive if it's bad.
There was no scuttlebutt last week in the cafeteria about the 1.5 TB drives
not being recognized by any OS.

But that was last week ... dunno this week since they laid my ass off last
week.

--
The personal opinion of
Gary G. Little

"colt" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> First off, thanks ahead for any and all help. I just stepped into the
> Vista world and built a couple of PCs to play with. I'm running Vista
> Ultimate x64 and using Seagate 1.5TB SATA drives. I can't create a
> volume larger than 100 gig, if I try to make the whole drive one volume,
> it will not format and I get device I/O errors reported. I can create a
> 100 gig drive and that's it, the last 400+ is lost forever..lol..Is this
> the limit vista will see?
> I have tried a standard format on it that lasted 4 days and then went
> with the quick format, both have the same results. Now, I have also
> tried creating a 99 gig volume and then expanding it, the amount
> expanded shows up in disk management, but is not there in real life,
> only the original 99 gig...
>
> Thanks,
> Stumped
>

> --
> colt

Karl-Olav Nyberg

Re: 1.5 TB drive formatting errors

"colt" <guest@unknown-email.com> skrev i melding

> First off, thanks ahead for any and all help. I just stepped into the
> Vista world and built a couple of PCs to play with. I'm running Vista
> Ultimate x64 and using Seagate 1.5TB SATA drives. I can't create a
> volume larger than 100 gig, if I try to make the whole drive one volume,
> it will not format and I get device I/O errors reported. I can create a
> 100 gig drive and that's it, the last 400+ is lost forever..lol..Is this
> the limit vista will see?
> I have tried a standard format on it that lasted 4 days and then went
> with the quick format, both have the same results. Now, I have also
> tried creating a 99 gig volume and then expanding it, the amount
> expanded shows up in disk management, but is not there in real life,
> only the original 99 gig...
>
> Thanks,
> Stumped
>

> --
> colt

Hi.

Perhaps you need a firmware update?

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...p?DocId=207931

Karl-Olav

DL

Re: 1.5 TB drive formatting errors
Seagate has also admitted to a problem with a specific HD, including a
firmware fix that renderd the drive completely unusable