Cd/dvd rom wont read cd's.

eadeadspace

Cd/dvd rom wont read cd's.

I have an emachine w3619 with dual core 2160 intel, 1.5 gig ram and
windows vista 32 bit home premium. Recently my cd/dvd drive stopped
reading cds. When i went into device manager it said the device was
functioning properly and the drivers were up to date. I uninstalled the
cd/dvd rom drive and restarted that did not fix the problem either. I
deleted the upper and lower filters through regedit as some people had
mentioned this did not fix the problem for me. My cd/dvd rom shows up in
"computer" but always acts as if the drive is empty. Anyone else had the
same problem?

--
eadeadspace
Peter Foldes

Re: Cd/dvd rom wont read cd's.
See the following

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939052/en-us

--
Peter

"eadeadspace" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have an emachine w3619 with dual core 2160 intel, 1.5 gig ram and
> windows vista 32 bit home premium. Recently my cd/dvd drive stopped
> reading cds. When i went into device manager it said the device was
> functioning properly and the drivers were up to date. I uninstalled the
> cd/dvd rom drive and restarted that did not fix the problem either. I
> deleted the upper and lower filters through regedit as some people had
> mentioned this did not fix the problem for me. My cd/dvd rom shows up in
> "computer" but always acts as if the drive is empty. Anyone else had the
> same problem?
>

> --
> eadeadspace

eadeadspace

Re: Cd/dvd rom wont read cd's.

Peter I checked that site out my audio device is working fine and I
followed the directions it did not change anything.

--
eadeadspace

heatfix is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cd/dvd rom wont read cd's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eadeadspace View Post
I have an emachine w3619 with dual core 2160 intel, 1.5 gig ram and
windows vista 32 bit home premium. Recently my cd/dvd drive stopped
reading cds. When i went into device manager it said the device was
functioning properly and the drivers were up to date. I uninstalled the
cd/dvd rom drive and restarted that did not fix the problem either. I
deleted the upper and lower filters through regedit as some people had
mentioned this did not fix the problem for me. My cd/dvd rom shows up in
"computer" but always acts as if the drive is empty. Anyone else had the
same problem?

--
eadeadspace
I HAVE TAKEN THE SAME STEPS AS YOU, NO FIX IN SITE! I AM RUNNING VISTA HOME BASIC. MY JOB REQUIRES MY CD/DVD DRIVE....AHH! DO YOU SEE THE CD IN "COMPUTER" BUT WHEN YOU CLICK IT, IT DOES NOTHING?
HAVE SEARCHED MANY FORUMS AND ALL OVER MICROSOFT! IS MY DISC DRIVE DEAD? MY COMPUTER IS LESS THAN 6 MONTHS OLD....TOSHIBA SATELLITE.
Spirit

Re: Cd/dvd rom wont read cd's.
Make a Restore Point.

Boot into SAFE MODE and use Device Manager and DELETE
ALL instances of the Drive. Reboot. Better?

Do these anyway :

Go to Toshiba and look for updates that affect drive, bios and others.
Install ALL available.

Toshiba Product Support (Upper Left)
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...t/jsp/home.jsp

"heatfix" <heatfix.3unmwc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> eadeadspace;1144660 Wrote:
>> I have an emachine w3619 with dual core 2160 intel, 1.5 gig ram and
>> windows vista 32 bit home premium. Recently my cd/dvd drive stopped
>> reading cds. When i went into device manager it said the device was
>> functioning properly and the drivers were up to date. I uninstalled the
>> cd/dvd rom drive and restarted that did not fix the problem either. I
>> deleted the upper and lower filters through regedit as some people had
>> mentioned this did not fix the problem for me. My cd/dvd rom shows up
>> in
>> "computer" but always acts as if the drive is empty. Anyone else had
>> the
>> same problem?
>>

>> --
>> eadeadspace

> I HAVE TAKEN THE SAME STEPS AS YOU, NO FIX IN SITE! I AM RUNNING VISTA
> HOME BASIC. MY JOB REQUIRES MY CD/DVD DRIVE....AHH! DO YOU SEE THE CD IN
> "COMPUTER" BUT WHEN YOU CLICK IT, IT DOES NOTHING?
> HAVE SEARCHED MANY FORUMS AND ALL OVER MICROSOFT! IS MY DISC DRIVE
> DEAD? MY COMPUTER IS LESS THAN 6 MONTHS OLD....TOSHIBA SATELLITE.
>

> --
> heatfix

GTS

Re: Cd/dvd rom wont read cd's.
Most likely the drive (specifically the laser) has failed. Spirits
suggestion to delete the device and reboot couldn't hurt, but most likely
you need to replace it.