External HDD drive write protected on vistax64 hardware devices

External HDD drive write protected on vistax64

Is there anybody who can help me please?
A few months ago i bought a new HP Pavilion Elite desktop
computer running Vista Home Premium x64.

Almost since the beginning i haven't been able to write to my external
hdd wich i used to use on my XP Pro x32 Laptop. On my laptop, I have no
problem at all writing and reading to the HDD.

It's weird, because sometimes I can write to the HDD on vista x64 and
sometimes it says "this disk is write protected..."

Please keep in mind i don't want and i can't format the disk because
there's to many important files on it and I don't have the space to
backup them. Is there a solution without re-formatting the disk.

ps. When i bought it, it was formatted as FAT32, on my xp laptop, I
changed it to NTFS.

Thanks in advance,

Re: External HDD drive write protected on vistax64

I have the same problem. Not for sure but I believe it is Microsofts
vss/backup issue somehow write protecting the drive. I have to run
diskpart, select the volume, and clear the attributes. Then when i run
Vista backup it becomes write protected. I will try converting it back
to fat 32 instead of nfts.
It is almost like a virus but i have none according to norton 2009,
AdAware, and MWB.
Maybe Microsoft itself has become the virus infecting us with vista. I
think i spend more time on vista trying to fix problems than i ever did
on xp. Vista has dam near gotten me fired a few times.
Trying Linux on another hard drive.
Next computer a Mac.
And good riddens Microsoft!

Re: External HDD drive write protected on vistax64

I had same issue and what I had to do was to right click on drive, go to
properties, security tab, edit, add, type 'system', click check names,
click OK...
Under permissions check full control and apply. It may take a few sec
but win. will change permissions on all the folders fixed mine

Re: External HDD drive write protected on vistax64

@03hdfatboy: I'll try this possible solution tonight, I'll let u know if
it worked...
Hope it will :-)

Thanks anyway

Re: External HDD drive write protected on vistax64

@03hdfatboy: ur way didnt work out for me... i followed the following

worked fine for 3 days but when i started my pc today i got another
error and i can't write to the disk anymore... its write protected again

Re: External HDD drive write protected on vistax64

Even the method that I had used with diskpart only lasted for two weeks.
The first time that I had run vista backup it write protected the disk
again. I had to run diskpart select the volume and clear the read only
attributes again. I believe that vista's backup utility, which i will
try not to use in the future is somehow write protecting the disk. I
noticed also that when i run backup that vista enables vss on that
drive. Very irritating to say the least. I hope that there is a solution
to this pestilence soon by Microsoft.

Hard Drive is Write Protected? DRT 14 09-23-2009 20:43
Write-Protected Flash Drive? Rick Raisley 1 11-27-2008 05:10
Hard drive write protected Sashi 2 02-12-2008 18:28
MyBook USB Drive Randomly Becomes Write Protected Dylan Harrelson hardware devices 0 10-02-2007 10:10
USB Flash drive write protected =?Utf-8?B?bWlrOTk=?= hardware devices 0 03-28-2007 01:52