Sound missing after RAM upgrade.

JMC05

Sound missing after RAM upgrade.

Hi, i've searched around and couldn't seem to find any post similar so
sorry if i'm repeating...

i've just upgraded from 2x 1gig to 2x 2gig (totaling 4gig ram).

everything seemed OK, booted correctly and vista (in system props)
shows 4gig ram.

however i appear to have lost my sound completely...

the sound icon says No Audio Output Device is installed... checked
device manager and theres no sound card listed... its an onboard sound
card, i've also already tried reinstalling the drivers

if i put the old 2gig back in, it works no problem. but as soon as i
add the 2x2gig sticks the sound goes.

My mother board specs can be found here:
'MS-7255-150 MSI VIA P4M890M2-L, 8CH Audio, LAN, VGA Via Unichrome Pro
1066 FSB 16X PCI-e, 2xPCI, 1xPCI-e 1x, 2xDual DDRII533, 2xSATA...'
(http://tinyurl.com/7clpqd)

and the ram i have installed is:

Kingston KVR533D2N4 2GB 533MHz PC4200 DDR2 RAM Non-ECC CL4 DIMM. which
as far as i can see should work with my mother board.

i'm not a real computer wiz, but have never had a problem while
upgrading RAM. does anyone know if there is anything i can do to get my
sound working again??

Thanks

JMC

--
JMC05
Chuck

Re: Sound missing after RAM upgrade.
What I would do first--
Run a good memory tester/ exerciser
uninstall the sound drivers, shutdown restart & reinstall the sound drivers.
(they may reinstall automatically.)
You neglected to mention some useful details such as
Exact version of windows
It might have been better to list the sound support chips as most will not
bother to lookup your MBD.
Have you checked for updated BIOS and/or sound drivers for your MBD?

"JMC05" <JMC05.3b4fbff@vistabanter.com> wrote in message

> Hi, i've searched around and couldn't seem to find any post similar so
> sorry if i'm repeating...
>
> i've just upgraded from 2x 1gig to 2x 2gig (totaling 4gig ram).
>
> everything seemed OK, booted correctly and vista (in system props)
> shows 4gig ram.
>
> however i appear to have lost my sound completely...
>
> the sound icon says No Audio Output Device is installed... checked
> device manager and theres no sound card listed... its an onboard sound
> card, i've also already tried reinstalling the drivers
>

> if i put the old 2gig back in, it works no problem. but as soon as i
> add the 2x2gig sticks the sound goes.
>
> My mother board specs can be found here:
> 'MS-7255-150 MSI VIA P4M890M2-L, 8CH Audio, LAN, VGA Via Unichrome Pro
> 1066 FSB 16X PCI-e, 2xPCI, 1xPCI-e 1x, 2xDual DDRII533, 2xSATA...'
> (http://tinyurl.com/7clpqd)
>
> and the ram i have installed is:
>
> Kingston KVR533D2N4 2GB 533MHz PC4200 DDR2 RAM Non-ECC CL4 DIMM. which
> as far as i can see should work with my mother board.
>
> i'm not a real computer wiz, but have never had a problem while
> upgrading RAM. does anyone know if there is anything i can do to get my
> sound working again??
>
> Thanks
>
> JMC
>

> --
> JMC05

JMC05

'Chuck[_2_ Wrote:
> ;777317']What I would do first--
> Run a good memory tester/ exerciser
> uninstall the sound drivers, shutdown restart & reinstall the sound
> drivers.
> (they may reinstall automatically.)
> You neglected to mention some useful details such as
> Exact version of windows
> It might have been better to list the sound support chips as most will
> not
> bother to lookup your MBD.
> Have you checked for updated BIOS and/or sound drivers for your MBD?
>
> "JMC05" JMC05.3b4fbff@vistabanter.com wrote in message
>
> Hi, i've searched around and couldn't seem to find any post similar
> so
> sorry if i'm repeating...
>
> i've just upgraded from 2x 1gig to 2x 2gig (totaling 4gig ram).
>
> everything seemed OK, booted correctly and vista (in system props)
> shows 4gig ram.
>
> however i appear to have lost my sound completely...
>
> the sound icon says No Audio Output Device is installed... checked
> device manager and theres no sound card listed... its an onboard
> sound
> card, i've also already tried reinstalling the drivers
>

> if i put the old 2gig back in, it works no problem. but as soon as i
> add the 2x2gig sticks the sound goes.
>
> My mother board specs can be found he
> 'MS-7255-150 MSI VIA P4M890M2-L, 8CH Audio, LAN, VGA Via Unichrome
> Pro
> 1066 FSB 16X PCI-e, 2xPCI, 1xPCI-e 1x, 2xDual DDRII533, 2xSATA...'
> ('MS-7255-150 MSI VIA P4M890M2-L, 8CH Audio, LAN, VGA Via Unichrome
> Pro 1066 FSB 16X PCI-e, 2xPCI, 1xPCI-e 1x, 2xDual DDRII533, 2xSATA...'
> (http://tinyurl.com/7clpqd))
>
> and the ram i have installed is:
>
> Kingston KVR533D2N4 2GB 533MHz PC4200 DDR2 RAM Non-ECC CL4 DIMM.
> which
> as far as i can see should work with my mother board.
>
> i'm not a real computer wiz, but have never had a problem while
> upgrading RAM. does anyone know if there is anything i can do to get
> my
> sound working again??
>
> Thanks
>
> JMC
>

> --
> JMC05 -

uninstalling and reinstalling sound drivers wont work, because the
soundcard is not even listed. i've checked bios and every other driver.
kingston say the ram should work with my motherboard but MSI dont say
anything. i'm running windows vista sp1. i've done almost everything
possible. so i shall be buying a new sound card to see if it works...
as the one thats gone off is onboard sound. (btw also checked bios to
ensure its not just turned off, and its not).

--
JMC05
JMC05

Re: Sound missing after RAM upgrade.

think i've spotted the problem, my computer only has a 300w power supply
and my graphics card requires 350w so i'm not sure how i'm running
that!

thanks for the replys

--
JMC05
Curious

"JMC05" <JMC05.3b928ba@vistabanter.com> wrote in message

> think i've spotted the problem, my computer only has a 300w power supply
> and my graphics card requires 350w so i'm not sure how i'm running
> that!
>
> thanks for the replys
>

> --
> JMC05

Your graphics only requires 350 watts at constant full load such as heavy
gaming, for most operations it uses a lot less. However, the addition of
more memory does require more power all the time to keep it refreshed.

Location: Prague
Mato TNT is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sound missing after RAM upgrade.
I have the same problem.
I tried to install another 2gb ram , but after it , there was no sound of my computer. As here is no clear solution, maybe somebody could help me?

Thank you

My motherboard is MSI: MS-7293 Micro ATX and Vista display the 4 GB installed, so I think it should support 4 GB RAM.

I have a - Chip integrated by Realtek ALC883 sound card.
Mike Hall - MVP

"Mato TNT" <Mato.TNT.3uwnwe@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I have the same problem.
> I tried to install another 2gb ram , but after it , there was no sound
> of my computer. As here is no clear solution, maybe somebody could help
> me?
>
> Thank you
>
> My motherboard is MSI: MS-7293 Micro ATX and Vista display the 4 GB
> installed, so I think it should support 4 GB RAM.
>
> I have a - Chip integrated by Realtek ALC883 sound card.
>

> --
> Mato TNT

If you remove the added memory and the sound comes back, suspect the
memory...

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Location: Prague
Mato TNT is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sound missing after RAM upgrade.
Yes the sound comes back after I remove the new 2gb memory.
But what is your suggestion? That the memory is wrong and I should buy another?
Curious

Re: Sound missing after RAM upgrade.
Are you using DDR2 RAM? If yes do you have a matched set of 2 2GB dims or a
matched set of 4 1GB dims?
When running 4GB did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the sound card
driver?
Are you running Vista 32 bit or Vista 64 bit?

"Mato TNT" <Mato.TNT.3uwuw3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Yes the sound comes back after I remove the new 2gb memory.
> But what is your suggestion? That the memory is wrong and I should buy
> another?
>

> --
> Mato TNT

Location: Prague
Mato TNT is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sound missing after RAM upgrade.
Yes, it is DDR 2 memory.
I have just two slots for memory, so I tried to put there 2x2 GB.
I haven┤t reinstalled the sound card drivers, because it hasn┤t found any.