Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

RAM Upgrade

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2009
Bundy115
 

Posts: n/a
RAM Upgrade
Hello,

I have done several searches for this question with no luck so I apologize
now if it is a repeat.

I am running Windows Vista x64 SP1. When I installed the OS my computer had
4GB RAM installed. I have just upgraded to 8GB and enabled the "memory
remap" feature in the system BIOS.

When I view system settings indeed the system reports 8.00 GB memory. My
questions are as follows;

1. I have read in a number of places on the web that even running vista x64
if RAM is upgraded from 4.00 GB or less to over 4.00 GB then the OS must be
re-installed. Is this a correct statement? I really do not want to have to
pave my system and re-install everything!

2. Will a 32bit application installed on vista x64 be able to take
advantage of this extra memory? I am running Adobe After Effects CS4 (a 32
bit app). When it starts it reports that it is using 4.00 GB RAM (only
reported 3.1 GB with 4GB RAM installed) but under memory preferences it shows
8GB available. Why is this?

Thanks very much in advance.

--
Bundy115
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2009
Night Hawk
 

Posts: n/a
Re: RAM Upgrade

Bundy115;939887 Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have done several searches for this question with no luck so I
> apologize
> now if it is a repeat.
>
> I am running Windows Vista x64 SP1. When I installed the OS my computer
> had
> 4GB RAM installed. I have just upgraded to 8GB and enabled the "memory
> remap" feature in the system BIOS.
>
> When I view system settings indeed the system reports 8.00 GB memory.
> My
> questions are as follows;
>
> 1. I have read in a number of places on the web that even running vista
> x64
> if RAM is upgraded from 4.00 GB or less to over 4.00 GB then the OS
> must be
> re-installed. Is this a correct statement? I really do not want to have
> to
> pave my system and re-install everything!
>
> 2. Will a 32bit application installed on vista x64 be able to take
> advantage of this extra memory? I am running Adobe After Effects CS4 (a
> 32
> bit app). When it starts it reports that it is using 4.00 GB RAM (only
> reported 3.1 GB with 4GB RAM installed) but under memory preferences it
> shows
> 8GB available. Why is this?
>
> Thanks very much in advance.
>
> --
> Bundy115


1)The problems seen with the 64bit editions of Vista is when errors
come up while having more then 2 or 3gb of memory installed. To correct
that you remove all but 2gb until after Windows is on and running.

Simply adding more memory doesn't require any full reinstall of Windows
as long as the edition supports the amount. For instance the Ultimate
64bit edition supports a higher amount then the Home Basic or Home
Premium editions.

2)With 4gb installed the Windows taskmanager will report some 3.5gb
total since roughly 515mb is automatically mapped out to hardwares. You
could have 100gb on and still only see the 3.5gb or so utilized due to
the limitations on the 32bit kernel itself. No it wouldn't see any
advantage.


--
Night Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2009
Bundy115
 

Posts: n/a
Re: RAM Upgrade
Thanks for the reply. I am running Vista Ultimate x64 so I know it will
support 8.00GB RAM. My question is can a 32 bit application installed on
Vista Ultimate x64 with 8GB RAM address more than 4GB (i.e. is a 32 bit
application limited by 32 bit addressing on a 64 bit OS)?

Thanks

--
Bundy115


"Night Hawk" wrote:

>
> Bundy115;939887 Wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have done several searches for this question with no luck so I
> > apologize
> > now if it is a repeat.
> >
> > I am running Windows Vista x64 SP1. When I installed the OS my computer
> > had
> > 4GB RAM installed. I have just upgraded to 8GB and enabled the "memory
> > remap" feature in the system BIOS.
> >
> > When I view system settings indeed the system reports 8.00 GB memory.
> > My
> > questions are as follows;
> >
> > 1. I have read in a number of places on the web that even running vista
> > x64
> > if RAM is upgraded from 4.00 GB or less to over 4.00 GB then the OS
> > must be
> > re-installed. Is this a correct statement? I really do not want to have
> > to
> > pave my system and re-install everything!
> >
> > 2. Will a 32bit application installed on vista x64 be able to take
> > advantage of this extra memory? I am running Adobe After Effects CS4 (a
> > 32
> > bit app). When it starts it reports that it is using 4.00 GB RAM (only
> > reported 3.1 GB with 4GB RAM installed) but under memory preferences it
> > shows
> > 8GB available. Why is this?
> >
> > Thanks very much in advance.
> >
> > --
> > Bundy115

>
> 1)The problems seen with the 64bit editions of Vista is when errors
> come up while having more then 2 or 3gb of memory installed. To correct
> that you remove all but 2gb until after Windows is on and running.
>
> Simply adding more memory doesn't require any full reinstall of Windows
> as long as the edition supports the amount. For instance the Ultimate
> 64bit edition supports a higher amount then the Home Basic or Home
> Premium editions.
>
> 2)With 4gb installed the Windows taskmanager will report some 3.5gb
> total since roughly 515mb is automatically mapped out to hardwares. You
> could have 100gb on and still only see the 3.5gb or so utilized due to
> the limitations on the 32bit kernel itself. No it wouldn't see any
> advantage.
>
>
> --
> Night Hawk
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2009
Louie Kapp
 

Posts: n/a
Re: RAM Upgrade
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:11:01 -0800, Bundy115
<Bundy115@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the reply. I am running Vista Ultimate x64 so I know it will
>support 8.00GB RAM. My question is can a 32 bit application installed on
>Vista Ultimate x64 with 8GB RAM address more than 4GB (i.e. is a 32 bit
>application limited by 32 bit addressing on a 64 bit OS)?


I do believe that it's Windows that does the addressing, not the
individual application.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2009
Night Hawk
 

Posts: n/a
Re: RAM Upgrade

Louie Kapp;939942 Wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:11:01 -0800, Bundy115
> <Bundy115@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > > >
> > >Thanks for the reply. I am running Vista Ultimate x64 so I know it

> > will
> > >support 8.00GB RAM. My question is can a 32 bit application installed

> > on
> > >Vista Ultimate x64 with 8GB RAM address more than 4GB (i.e. is a 32

> > bit
> > >application limited by 32 bit addressing on a 64 bit OS)? > >

>
> I do believe that it's Windows that does the addressing, not the
> individual application.


That would be the 32bit kernel itself. Any typical 32bit application
will simply use what it needs for it's processes. If you were working
with large CAD projects or some other large memory hungry softwares then
you see where it would use larger amounts of ram to start with.

Someone recently pointed out seeing a CAD project easily chew up some
5gb of memory while having 8gb installed.


--
Night Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2009
Curious
 

Posts: n/a
Re: RAM Upgrade
A 32 bit application can not address more 4GB since the maximum number that
can be stored is 32 bits is 4GB.
Vista64 bit is a 64 bit application so it's performance is better can
perform operations in support of 32 bit application such as data transfers
faster.
The following link discuses some BIOS settings that you may need to to
change to resolve your issue.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

"Bundy115" <Bundy115@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:89865CDA-ADBA-46F7-985E-2A7E89CC3C1A@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have done several searches for this question with no luck so I apologize
> now if it is a repeat.
>
> I am running Windows Vista x64 SP1. When I installed the OS my computer
> had
> 4GB RAM installed. I have just upgraded to 8GB and enabled the "memory
> remap" feature in the system BIOS.
>
> When I view system settings indeed the system reports 8.00 GB memory. My
> questions are as follows;
>
> 1. I have read in a number of places on the web that even running vista
> x64
> if RAM is upgraded from 4.00 GB or less to over 4.00 GB then the OS must
> be
> re-installed. Is this a correct statement? I really do not want to have
> to
> pave my system and re-install everything!
>
> 2. Will a 32bit application installed on vista x64 be able to take
> advantage of this extra memory? I am running Adobe After Effects CS4 (a
> 32
> bit app). When it starts it reports that it is using 4.00 GB RAM (only
> reported 3.1 GB with 4GB RAM installed) but under memory preferences it
> shows
> 8GB available. Why is this?
>
> Thanks very much in advance.
>
> --
> Bundy115


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2009
Curious
 

Posts: n/a
Re: RAM Upgrade
A 32 bit application can not address more 4GB since the maximum number that
can be stored is 32 bits is 4GB.
Vista64 bit is a 64 bit application so it's performance is better can
perform operations in support of 32 bit application such as data transfers
faster.
"Night Hawk" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:caa0bb7222c3a1d4c087ce765dc67cc3@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Louie Kapp;939942 Wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:11:01 -0800, Bundy115
>> <Bundy115@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> > > >
>> > >Thanks for the reply. I am running Vista Ultimate x64 so I know it
>> > will
>> > >support 8.00GB RAM. My question is can a 32 bit application installed
>> > on
>> > >Vista Ultimate x64 with 8GB RAM address more than 4GB (i.e. is a 32
>> > bit
>> > >application limited by 32 bit addressing on a 64 bit OS)? > >

>>
>> I do believe that it's Windows that does the addressing, not the
>> individual application.

>
> That would be the 32bit kernel itself. Any typical 32bit application
> will simply use what it needs for it's processes. If you were working
> with large CAD projects or some other large memory hungry softwares then
> you see where it would use larger amounts of ram to start with.
>
> Someone recently pointed out seeing a CAD project easily chew up some
> 5gb of memory while having 8gb installed.
>
>
> --
> Night Hawk

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UPGRADE QUESTION: Do you have to have a version of Windows installed in order to install the Vista upgrade? JMI microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 4 01-21-2008 05:56
Article ID: 933169 The upgrade option is not available when you try to upgrade a computer to Windows Vista, and you receive the following error message: "To upgrade to Windows, the hard disk partition must be formatted as NTFS" KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Action Pack Subscriber - How do fresh install with upgrade licence? Upgrade from XP is faulty! TransAction Translators microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 6 08-01-2007 07:44
Upgrading Windows 2000 Upgrade to Vista Home Premium Upgrade Mike T microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 19 03-23-2007 20:45
Upgrade Redemtion Form for Upgrade Version of Windows Vista Busine =?Utf-8?B?UGF0?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-15-2007 07:43




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:03.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120