Vista x64 BSODs

Barry

Vista x64 BSODs
I keep having BSODs in Vista Ultimate 64bit Home version. The BSODs happen
all the time, without any noticeable pattern. I've had it happen opening
iTunes, opening Windows Explorer, opening various apps. And it doesn't just
happen while they are opening. I'll be listening to several songs in a row
in iTunes when it crashes. Also, I've had it occur just booting up, so heat
can be ruled out as well. Here is the error code:

0x00000101 - 0XFFFFFA6001963180.

I have swapped out the memory, reseated all of my cards, etc. Updated to
the latest drivers, etc.

Here is what I have in my system:

AMD Phenom 9600
ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI motherboard
4 Gb OCZ DDR2 1066 (on the qvl)
1 XFX Geforce 9600 GT
1 Patriot 64 Gb SSD as windrive
2 Samsung 750 Gb SATA hdd in RAID 0 attached to Rosewill RC-211 SATA 2 port
PCI-e RAID controller
2 Samsung 500 Gb SATA hdd attached separately as data drives
2 LG 16x SATA DVD burners attached to Rosewill RC-201 SATA 2 port PCI
controller
2 LG 52x IDE CD burner

17 total fans in the case, so cooling is not a problem.

I had this same system running smoothly under XP but decided to upgrade to
Vista to use the full 4 Gb of memory. I do heavy video editing and will be
upgrading to a new Core i7 system next month, but want to know what in the
heck is going on with this system because I will be passing this PC down to
my kids, minus some drives, etc.

Thanks!

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista x64 BSODs
Try swapping out the power supply. Random crashes with different error
messages are nearly always a hardware issue. If you've check the memory and
integrity of the hard drives, then the next most likely components are the
power supply, motherboard, and processor (and that's the order in which I
check them usually).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Barry" <bwentzel@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
>I keep having BSODs in Vista Ultimate 64bit Home version. The BSODs happen
>all the time, without any noticeable pattern. I've had it happen opening
>iTunes, opening Windows Explorer, opening various apps. And it doesn't
>just happen while they are opening. I'll be listening to several songs in
>a row in iTunes when it crashes. Also, I've had it occur just booting up,
>so heat can be ruled out as well. Here is the error code:
>
> 0x00000101 - 0XFFFFFA6001963180.
>
> I have swapped out the memory, reseated all of my cards, etc. Updated to
> the latest drivers, etc.
>
> Here is what I have in my system:
>
> AMD Phenom 9600
> ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI motherboard
> 4 Gb OCZ DDR2 1066 (on the qvl)
> 1 XFX Geforce 9600 GT
> 1 Patriot 64 Gb SSD as windrive
> 2 Samsung 750 Gb SATA hdd in RAID 0 attached to Rosewill RC-211 SATA 2
> port PCI-e RAID controller
> 2 Samsung 500 Gb SATA hdd attached separately as data drives
> 2 LG 16x SATA DVD burners attached to Rosewill RC-201 SATA 2 port PCI
> controller
> 2 LG 52x IDE CD burner
>
> 17 total fans in the case, so cooling is not a problem.
>
> I had this same system running smoothly under XP but decided to upgrade to
> Vista to use the full 4 Gb of memory. I do heavy video editing and will
> be upgrading to a new Core i7 system next month, but want to know what in
> the heck is going on with this system because I will be passing this PC
> down to my kids, minus some drives, etc.
>
> Thanks!

Barry

Re: Vista x64 BSODs
I'd almost have to rule out the PSU. It's a Thermaltake 680w PSU. It never
crashes when I'm doing heavy video encoding or when I burn multiple DVDs at
the same time.

And it's always the same error message. The message states there is a clock
reference error where a processor didn't respond, something like that.

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep trying.

> Try swapping out the power supply. Random crashes with different error
> messages are nearly always a hardware issue. If you've check the memory
> and integrity of the hard drives, then the next most likely components are
> the power supply, motherboard, and processor (and that's the order in
> which I check them usually).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Barry" <bwentzel@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I keep having BSODs in Vista Ultimate 64bit Home version. The BSODs
>>happen all the time, without any noticeable pattern. I've had it happen
>>opening iTunes, opening Windows Explorer, opening various apps. And it
>>doesn't just happen while they are opening. I'll be listening to several
>>songs in a row in iTunes when it crashes. Also, I've had it occur just
>>booting up, so heat can be ruled out as well. Here is the error code:
>>
>> 0x00000101 - 0XFFFFFA6001963180.
>>
>> I have swapped out the memory, reseated all of my cards, etc. Updated to
>> the latest drivers, etc.
>>
>> Here is what I have in my system:
>>
>> AMD Phenom 9600
>> ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI motherboard
>> 4 Gb OCZ DDR2 1066 (on the qvl)
>> 1 XFX Geforce 9600 GT
>> 1 Patriot 64 Gb SSD as windrive
>> 2 Samsung 750 Gb SATA hdd in RAID 0 attached to Rosewill RC-211 SATA 2
>> port PCI-e RAID controller
>> 2 Samsung 500 Gb SATA hdd attached separately as data drives
>> 2 LG 16x SATA DVD burners attached to Rosewill RC-201 SATA 2 port PCI
>> controller
>> 2 LG 52x IDE CD burner
>>
>> 17 total fans in the case, so cooling is not a problem.
>>
>> I had this same system running smoothly under XP but decided to upgrade
>> to Vista to use the full 4 Gb of memory. I do heavy video editing and
>> will be upgrading to a new Core i7 system next month, but want to know
>> what in the heck is going on with this system because I will be passing
>> this PC down to my kids, minus some drives, etc.
>>
>> Thanks!

roman modic

Re: Vista x64 BSODs
Hello!

"Barry" <bwentzel@woh.rr.com> wrote in message news:83956AB6-74D7-4A74-81BD-7B41B612350D@microsoft.com...
> I'd almost have to rule out the PSU. It's a Thermaltake 680w PSU. It never crashes when I'm doing heavy video encoding or when I
> burn multiple DVDs at the same time.
>
> And it's always the same error message. The message states there is a clock reference error where a processor didn't respond,
> something like that.

Maybe OT, but is there an HPET option in BIOS?
http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.a...ng=0&bogno=415
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-a7bb72280f70/

And since your CPU is of B2 stepping, the following thread is also interesting :--((
http://forums.amd.com/forum/messagev...threadid=96429
Quote:
.... Vista 64-bit with Phenom B2 is a bad and very troublesome combination I would seriosly avoid. If you're he-ll bent on it, then
you only have two options:
* Complain to Microsoft to fix the error or help you troubleshoot it. They should support you when their product is giving problems.
It is their OS giving the error and it doesn't occur on other OSes, so not a hardware problem (unless you can replicate it on
another OS, in which case it is AMD's responsibility and problem).
* Or alternatively, as I made clear, many moved to B3 stepping and did not see the problem since. You can try that but there are no
guarantees this will resolve the issue with a known incompatibility problem.
Quote:
Disabling HPET timer may also help as disabling Unganged mode may
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

HTH, Roman

P.S. Is the latest BIOS installed?

Barry

Re: Vista x64 BSODs
Thanks for the response. I will be building a new system in a few weeks and
downgrading this one to XP. That will solve the problem, hopefully.

"roman modic" <modicr@astral-it.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> "Barry" <bwentzel@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I'd almost have to rule out the PSU. It's a Thermaltake 680w PSU. It
>> never crashes when I'm doing heavy video encoding or when I burn multiple
>> DVDs at the same time.
>>
>> And it's always the same error message. The message states there is a
>> clock reference error where a processor didn't respond, something like
>> that.
>>

> Maybe OT, but is there an HPET option in BIOS?
> http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.a...ng=0&bogno=415
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-a7bb72280f70/
>
> And since your CPU is of B2 stepping, the following thread is also
> interesting :--((
> http://forums.amd.com/forum/messagev...threadid=96429

Quote:
> ... Vista 64-bit with Phenom B2 is a bad and very troublesome combination
> I would seriosly avoid. If you're he-ll bent on it, then you only have two
> * Complain to Microsoft to fix the error or help you troubleshoot it. They
> should support you when their product is giving problems. It is their OS
> giving the error and it doesn't occur on other OSes, so not a hardware
> problem (unless you can replicate it on another OS, in which case it is
> AMD's responsibility and problem).
> * Or alternatively, as I made clear, many moved to B3 stepping and did not
> see the problem since. You can try that but there are no guarantees this
> will resolve the issue with a known incompatibility problem.

Quote:
> Disabling HPET timer may also help as disabling Unganged mode may
>

> http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us
>
> HTH, Roman
>
> P.S. Is the latest BIOS installed?

sparkinark is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista x64 BSODs
Don't rule out the power supply. I had an Antec 650 and when I called Asus (my mobo maker), they said my 2 9600GT cards will pull up to 230Watts each and that the AMD6400 was close to that. Also, the 590 boards (anything from NVIDIA runs 100C and eats up 1000W) like my Crosshair needed 28amps minimum on the +5v rail. Ouch -- try to find someone who will give you 28 amps "clean" (not bunched up with another rail) at any voltage.

So, after my thermocouple actually burned into the heatsink it was supposed to be measuring, I got a Corsair 1000. It's running two separate actual laminated balanced-out coils into some heady (for a chopper ps) stiffening caps and not to sell Corsair but just to say that something actually works as advertised, I've not had a bsod since.

Well, except when I found out that the Antec blew out all 4 1g sticks of my ddr2. Don't count that out either -- run Memtest off a cd overnight for like 50 runs. If you get *any* errors, copy them down and return your ddr sticks (or buy new ones).

Finally (EE stuff, but extremely important), get a DMM and measure the ground to neutral in both ac and dc at your outlet before and after you turn on your power supply and start up the boot process. Then go around the room and turn on every light. If you get anything larger than 100mv you need to get a feed that is not on that leg or not sharing that common, or just have someone run a single star feed to your ps outlet. Better yet, get two on separate breakers and either split your outlet or run two of them.

Oh (sorry, wasn't finally yet but is now), $10 says your ground at the meter is insufficient. Everyone's is and it's incredibly hard and costly to measure what it actually is Ohm-wise (Z-wise, but that's another ball of wax). Just get another 10' rod at Home Depot, figure out how to drive it in 10' deep (at least 20' away from the other rod), then buy two very large all copper compression lugs and 25' of THHN or better stranded AWG 6 wire to hook them together. You are supposed to put it in a PVC to protect it (like from the lawnmower) or attach to house according to NEC. I say just buy a #4 solid and bury it 6" and you'll have 3x better grounding, but you'll need to use an exothermic or a whole tube of Naalox and two rolls of #35 nylon to get decent protected "weld" at the connection point.

I know, sounds like a lot but it really isn't. Just remember that no load in your house has 0 at the common and that's why they ground it at the box (stupid, but it works better than nothing). Also, the killer connections to ground rod are a must --- must be something as close to firing a .22 at point blank to drive the connecting wire into the rod. Actually that's what they do for an exothermic in a way.

Sorry to belabor this, but when your output driver is trying to maintin +12V into a varying load and the output is a long line of cheap copper back to a crappy ground, it will do like my Antec did and just burn up.

Think about the fact that your 100W stereo costs probably 10x what your 650W power supply does and it never burns up. Hmmmm..

sparkinark (all questions answered but guaranteed to be thorough and therefore lengthy and probably not read)

BTW, Vista 7 is very nice but is still a beta -- don't try to actually use it and toss out 6 (although it's tempting) or you'll find out that stable beats cool anyday. Speaking of which, I think I'll try to find a copy of 2000....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Thanks for the response. I will be building a new system in a few weeks and
downgrading this one to XP. That will solve the problem, hopefully.

"roman modic" <modicr@astral-it.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> "Barry" <bwentzel@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I'd almost have to rule out the PSU. It's a Thermaltake 680w PSU. It
>> never crashes when I'm doing heavy video encoding or when I burn multiple
>> DVDs at the same time.
>>
>> And it's always the same error message. The message states there is a
>> clock reference error where a processor didn't respond, something like
>> that.
>>

> Maybe OT, but is there an HPET option in BIOS?
> Tech ARP - HPET Mode
> Suspected bug in HPET Support : General Windows Development Issues : Software Development for Windows Client : MSDN Forums
>
> And since your CPU is of B2 stepping, the following thread is also
> interesting :--((
> AMD Processors Forums - Phenom Experience - Requesting Input

> http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us
>
> HTH, Roman
>
> P.S. Is the latest BIOS installed?

Chuck

Re: Vista x64 BSODs
There is some truth to this but--
In the US, the typical power coming into the home is from a transformer
secondary winding on a pole that has the winding center tap connected to
ground at the pole. The ground wire running to the home is permitted to be a
smaller gage than the two "leg" wires, since the meter panel (or another
point in some installations) is tied to the ground stakes.

The neutral and safety ground wires are usually tied together at the breaker
panel. Older homes may have a safety ground wire in the branch circuits that
is aluminum. The aluminum wire oxidizes and becomes brittle with age,
causing real problems with case grounding of such things as computers. For
various reasons, the safety ground may be conducting a small amount of
current. As an example, A/C line filters in some electronic equipment can
be a source for this small amount of current. Significant current in the
safety ground is an indication of a fault.

"sparkinark" <sparkinark.3m3yk4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:sparkinark.3m3yk4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> [...]
>> Thanks for the response. I will be building a new system in a few weeks
>> and
>> downgrading this one to XP. That will solve the problem, hopefully.
>>
>> "roman modic" <modicr@astral-it.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello!
>> >
>> > "Barry" <bwentzel@woh.rr.com> wrote in message

>> multiple

>> like
>> >>

>> > Maybe OT, but is there an HPET option in BIOS?
>> > 'Tech ARP - HPET Mode'

>> (http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.a...ng=0&bogno=415)
>> > 'Suspected bug in HPET Support : General Windows Development Issues :

>> Software Development for Windows Client : MSDN Forums'
>> (http://tinyurl.com/7osh9j)
>> >
>> > And since your CPU is of B2 stepping, the following thread is also
>> > interesting :--((
>> > 'AMD Processors Forums - Phenom Experience - Requesting Input'

Paul J. Hurley

Re: Vista x64 BSODs
Something that is a "must have" especially with an expensive set-up is a
high quality UPS. Not only will it work as a battery backup in a power
outage, but it will smooth out those random voltage fluctuations that can
clobber your machine.

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 02:46:25 -0500, "Chuck" <cdkuder@msn.com> wrote:

>There is some truth to this but--
>In the US, the typical power coming into the home is from a transformer
>secondary winding on a pole that has the winding center tap connected to

----
Paul Hurley
Caliban Computing
http://www.Caliban.com/