SATA-II Drive AHCI Controller Vista Problem G965

dbrook007

SATA-II Drive AHCI Controller Vista Problem G965

Hi,

I have a problem trying to get a SATA-II drive working using AHCI under
Vista. It's Vista 32-bit Ultimate.

The problem, I think, relates to the AHCI Controller driver and the
motherboard.
The board is an Intel DG965RY (which is ICH8)

I have tried a clean install using the "Load Driver" method but it
hasn't worked (it gets so far but then the install fails). I'm told this
is a known problem, but that also people have got their SATA-II drives
to work under AHCI in Vista 32 bit.

I noticed this from a previous post (see
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-hardwa...-sata-ide.html),
which said:

> Bios setting should be set on IDE mode before attempting this.
>
> You can install the Miscrosoft standard AHCI driver from within Vista
> throught Device Manager. In Device Manager select you IDE/Sata
> cotroller
> and properties and selected updriver. The select browse my computer for
> driver software. Select let me pict from list. In the screen untick the
> box "show compatible hardward". Scroll dowwn under the Manufactuer
> column and select the Standard AHCHI driver and select next. This
> should
> the Microsoft AHCI driver. Reboot. Then go into the bios and change
> your
> IDE configuration to AHCI. Once your reboot you can then install the
> AHCI driver for your particular motherboard.

I was wondering if this would work for me with my hardware and Vista
32?

Regarding the above instructions, when I look in Device Manager for
Controllers, I see these items: -

IDE Channel
IDE Channel
IDE Channel
IDE Channel
IDE Channel
IDE Channel
Intel(R) ICH8 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2825
Intel(R) ICH8 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2820
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

My first question is, which one do I select to Update the Driver?

When I have tried this just to look at the list, the only one I can
find is:

"Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller"

Is this the correct one? (I was put off by the 1.0 - will this support
SATA-II?)

I've seen other posts referring back to the old "F6 method" for XP, but
I'm unsure about how sound that is for installing on Vista?

In addition, will this work at all under AHCI with ICH8 on the DG965RY.
The info on Intel's site is conflicting and confusing. It says it
supports interface speeds of upto 3.0Gb/s and SATA-II, and that the
board support AHCI (AHCI is an option in the BIOS) - but yet there is
little other mention of AHCI in the other Intel documentation on the
board.

I was hoping that somewhere could shed some light on this with some
definite answers or information.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Darren

--
dbrook007
cqui3

Re: SATA-II Drive AHCI Controller Vista Problem G965

The solution will be found at following address :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976/en-us

It worked for me.

"dbrook007" <guest@unknown-email.com> a écrit dans le message de

> [...]

> When I have tried this just to look at the list, the only one I can
> find is:
>
> "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller"
>
> Is this the correct one? (I was put off by the 1.0 - will this support
> SATA-II?)
>
> I've seen other posts referring back to the old "F6 method" for XP, but
> I'm unsure about how sound that is for installing on Vista?
>
> In addition, will this work at all under AHCI with ICH8 on the DG965RY.
> The info on Intel's site is conflicting and confusing. It says it
> supports interface speeds of upto 3.0Gb/s and SATA-II, and that the
> board support AHCI (AHCI is an option in the BIOS) - but yet there is
> little other mention of AHCI in the other Intel documentation on the
> board.
>
> I was hoping that somewhere could shed some light on this with some

dbrook007

Re: SATA-II Drive AHCI Controller Vista Problem G965

Thanks for the reply.

I have actually already tried that but it has not fixed my problem (I
think the problem I have is a bit different).

Thanks - Darren

--
dbrook007
RalfG

dbrook007 wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I have actually already tried that but it has not fixed my problem (I
> think the problem I have is a bit different).
>
> Thanks - Darren

The drive should have a compatibility jumper to force it into SATA 1
mode. Check the documentation for the drive to find it. Online if
neccessary.