Slow Wireless

Rhys

Slow Wireless
Hi - Just got a new PC with Vista and am having trouble with wireless.
Although connection to the net is fine via the ethernet, once I disconnect
the lead, it's incredibly slow ( dial up speed) on wireless ( netgear
wg111v2). Worked fine on old PC with XP.

On the connections, I see that I'm connected to wireless (which is good) but
the moment I access AOL, a connection under dial up / VPN shows named The
internet (2) with a phone logo - also as connected. I'm trying to disconect
from this but system will not let me stating that system is in use. On going
into the control panel - internet properties and connections, it shows this
dial up in the box and does not let me change setting.

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated as my head is hurting from various
wall banging activity :-)

Rhys
RalfG

Re: Slow Wireless
Rhys wrote:
> Hi - Just got a new PC with Vista and am having trouble with wireless.
> Although connection to the net is fine via the ethernet, once I disconnect
> the lead, it's incredibly slow ( dial up speed) on wireless ( netgear
> wg111v2). Worked fine on old PC with XP.
>
> On the connections, I see that I'm connected to wireless (which is good) but
> the moment I access AOL, a connection under dial up / VPN shows named The
> internet (2) with a phone logo - also as connected. I'm trying to disconect
> from this but system will not let me stating that system is in use. On going
> into the control panel - internet properties and connections, it shows this
> dial up in the box and does not let me change setting.
>
> Any ideas would be hugely appreciated as my head is hurting from various
> wall banging activity :-)
>
> Rhys

Do you have a regular telephone line dial-up modem installed and
connected? If so check in the internet options to make sure it isn't set
as the default connection. If you connect through a router you'd
probably want to change the settings to 'never dial'. Also do set the
connection type to LAN if your router or modem maintain an 'always on'
connection or otherwise handle the connection internally.

If you are connected directly to a wireless modem you might be getting
hung up in terminology as Windows does install a 'Dial up adapter' for
direct to cable or ADSL connections. It is only neccessary if your
connection is initiated from the computer rather than an always-on type
connection managed by the modem itself. It is not the same thing as a
telephone modem dial up adapter but if it isn't configured correctly for
the hardware and your ISP there could be problems with it. The speed of
this adapter should be whatever your internet connection actually is, be
it cable or ADSL.
Rhys

Slow wireless - message to Ralf
Ralf

I don't know what neck of the woods you're from but in London, I'd be
calling you a real Diamond Geezer!

I can't thank you enough for your help which has resulted in me fixing the
problem - basically, it was your red herring thought that gave me some
further direction which made me check ( as suggested) the actual hardware
which needed more configuration than I'd originally made

Thank you again

Rhys
RalfG

Re: Slow wireless - message to Ralf
Rhys wrote:
> Ralf
>
> I don't know what neck of the woods you're from but in London, I'd be
> calling you a real Diamond Geezer!
>
> I can't thank you enough for your help which has resulted in me fixing the
> problem - basically, it was your red herring thought that gave me some
> further direction which made me check ( as suggested) the actual hardware
> which needed more configuration than I'd originally made
>
> Thank you again
>
> Rhys

Glad you got the problem sorted.