Vista Will NOT Recognize 2nd SATA Hard Drive!

technomann

Vista Will NOT Recognize 2nd SATA Hard Drive!

Just installed a Seagate 250 GB SATA hard drive in bay 2 of my HP Compac
dv9000 series laptop. However, no matter what I do, VIsta Home Premium
will not recognize the 2nd drive. It does NOT show up in Disk Manager in
the Computer Management console or in Explorer. If I go into Setup the
BIOS says that the drive is there. However it does'nt exist in Windows
Vista. Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? Is there a
BIOS tweak or what? Thanks for any and all advice!

--
technomann
JerryM

Re: Vista Will NOT Recognize 2nd SATA Hard Drive!
Did you set the jumper to slave?

"technomann" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Just installed a Seagate 250 GB SATA hard drive in bay 2 of my HP Compac
> dv9000 series laptop. However, no matter what I do, VIsta Home Premium
> will not recognize the 2nd drive. It does NOT show up in Disk Manager in
> the Computer Management console or in Explorer. If I go into Setup the
> BIOS says that the drive is there. However it does'nt exist in Windows
> Vista. Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? Is there a
> BIOS tweak or what? Thanks for any and all advice!
>

> --
> technomann

David B.

Re: Vista Will NOT Recognize 2nd SATA Hard Drive!
SATA drives have no master/slave jumper

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

"JerryM" <jerrym526@msn.org> wrote in message
> Did you set the jumper to slave?
>

> "technomann" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Just installed a Seagate 250 GB SATA hard drive in bay 2 of my HP Compac
>> dv9000 series laptop. However, no matter what I do, VIsta Home Premium
>> will not recognize the 2nd drive. It does NOT show up in Disk Manager in
>> the Computer Management console or in Explorer. If I go into Setup the
>> BIOS says that the drive is there. However it does'nt exist in Windows
>> Vista. Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? Is there a
>> BIOS tweak or what? Thanks for any and all advice!
>>

>> --
>> technomann

David B.

Re: Vista Will NOT Recognize 2nd SATA Hard Drive!
Just out of curiosity does the drive show up in device manager?

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

"technomann" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Just installed a Seagate 250 GB SATA hard drive in bay 2 of my HP Compac
> dv9000 series laptop. However, no matter what I do, VIsta Home Premium
> will not recognize the 2nd drive. It does NOT show up in Disk Manager in
> the Computer Management console or in Explorer. If I go into Setup the
> BIOS says that the drive is there. However it does'nt exist in Windows
> Vista. Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? Is there a
> BIOS tweak or what? Thanks for any and all advice!
>

> --
> technomann

cqui3

"David B." <mail@nomail.net> a écrit dans le message de
> Just out of curiosity does the drive show up in device manager?
>
> --
>
> ----
> Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm
>

> "technomann" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Just installed a Seagate 250 GB SATA hard drive in bay 2 of my HP Compac
>> dv9000 series laptop. However, no matter what I do, VIsta Home Premium
>> will not recognize the 2nd drive. It does NOT show up in Disk Manager in
>> the Computer Management console or in Explorer. If I go into Setup the
>> BIOS says that the drive is there. However it does'nt exist in Windows
>> Vista. Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? Is there a
>> BIOS tweak or what? Thanks for any and all advice!
>>

>> --
>> technomann

When that happens to me, I delete the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller in Device
Manager,
When I reboot the controller is reinstalled and all my HDs are corrrectly
installed.

technomann

Re: Vista Will NOT Recognize 2nd SATA Hard Drive!

I was laboring under the impression that SATA drives had no Master/Slave
jumper settings. In fact, my brand new Seagate 250 GB Notebook Hard
Drive did NOT come with any jumpers. But, lo and behold, after shutting
down the laptop and removing the 2nd HD once again, I discovered some
"prongs" on the back of the 2.5" SATA drive that looked suspiciously
like jumper settings. After going to several local computer stores I was
able to find a small jumper which was graciously given to me by the Geek
Squad at Best Buy. Using my trusty tweezers I inserted the jumper into
the back of the SATA, re-installed it and powered up the laptop. To my
utter amazement my 2nd HD was now showing up in Disk Management and
Explorer as well.

Who said SATA drives don't have any jumper settings?

--
technomann
RalfG

technomann wrote:
> I was laboring under the impression that SATA drives had no Master/Slave
> jumper settings. In fact, my brand new Seagate 250 GB Notebook Hard
> Drive did NOT come with any jumpers. But, lo and behold, after shutting
> down the laptop and removing the 2nd HD once again, I discovered some
> "prongs" on the back of the 2.5" SATA drive that looked suspiciously
> like jumper settings. After going to several local computer stores I was
> able to find a small jumper which was graciously given to me by the Geek
> Squad at Best Buy. Using my trusty tweezers I inserted the jumper into
> the back of the SATA, re-installed it and powered up the laptop. To my
> utter amazement my 2nd HD was now showing up in Disk Management and
> Explorer as well.
>
> Who said SATA drives don't have any jumper settings?

Could the jumper have been to forse SATA II to 150MB/s SATA I mode?
Depending on the computer you install the drive into it may or may not
need the jumper.
David B.

Re: Vista Will NOT Recognize 2nd SATA Hard Drive!
Google the model of the hard drive or look it up on Seagate's website, the
jumper is likely for SATAII/I mode as RalfG suggested. I didn't say they
didn't have jumpers, I said they don't have master/slave jumpers.

--

----

> I was laboring under the impression that SATA drives had no Master/Slave
> jumper settings. In fact, my brand new Seagate 250 GB Notebook Hard
> Drive did NOT come with any jumpers. But, lo and behold, after shutting
> down the laptop and removing the 2nd HD once again, I discovered some
> "prongs" on the back of the 2.5" SATA drive that looked suspiciously
> like jumper settings. After going to several local computer stores I was
> able to find a small jumper which was graciously given to me by the Geek
> Squad at Best Buy. Using my trusty tweezers I inserted the jumper into
> the back of the SATA, re-installed it and powered up the laptop. To my
> utter amazement my 2nd HD was now showing up in Disk Management and
> Explorer as well.
>
> Who said SATA drives don't have any jumper settings?
>

> --
> technomann

technomann

Re: Vista Will NOT Recognize 2nd SATA Hard Drive!

Thank you for your help. The 2nd HD is working fine. However, now the
Mat****a DVD-RAM UJ-851S ATA Device has disappeared from Explorer, Drive
Manager, and Device Manager. Does anyone have a clue as to the cause and
how to restore? I can't find the driver for this DVD drive anywhere in
the neet so far...

--
technomann