pc powertool name???

chilloh

pc powertool name???

i want to go on vacation where they have problems with electricity and i
bringing my gaing console with me. but there is a hardware that my
friend have wich saves a electrisity after there isn't any and the pc
stays on for a while so he cant save his document ans such. so what is
the name of this hardware thanks,
btw i am not english so sorry if there is any lingo mistakes.

--
chilloh
JerryM

Re: pc powertool name???
It's called a Battery!

Seriously backup batteries have been around forever.
Do a search for APC to get some Ideas.

Jerry

"chilloh" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> i want to go on vacation where they have problems with electricity and i
> bringing my gaing console with me. but there is a hardware that my
> friend have wich saves a electrisity after there isn't any and the pc
> stays on for a while so he cant save his document ans such. so what is
> the name of this hardware thanks,
> btw i am not english so sorry if there is any lingo mistakes.
>

> --
> chilloh

GTS

Re: pc powertool name???
It's called an Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS)
--

"chilloh" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> i want to go on vacation where they have problems with electricity and i
> bringing my gaing console with me. but there is a hardware that my
> friend have wich saves a electrisity after there isn't any and the pc
> stays on for a while so he cant save his document ans such. so what is
> the name of this hardware thanks,
> btw i am not english so sorry if there is any lingo mistakes.
>

> --
> chilloh

chilloh

Re: pc powertool name???

yes man thanks alot.

but does it work for every device except a pc because i want to use it
for my gaming console.

--
chilloh
LVTravel

Re: pc powertool name???

> yes man thanks alot.
>
> but does it work for every device except a pc because i want to use it
> for my gaming console.
>

> --
> chilloh

It will work for anything you plug into it up to the power rating for the
device. They are designed to power devices for a specific amount of time
and won't work indefinitely as they do run off of a battery.

I have 10 UPS in my home, with various power ratings, with TVs, computers,
lights and even my cell phone charger plugged into them. Summer or winter
we lose electricity a lot where I live.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninter...e_power_supply for further
discussion on UPSs.

Not knowing where you are posting from or where your "friend" lives where
you are going on vacation, he may or may not have access to purchase a
reliable device. In the US, there are many suppliers of UPSs, among them
www.tripplite.com or www.APC.com

chilloh

Re: pc powertool name???

LVTravel;936794 Wrote:
> "chilloh" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:11f2293646b780cd0c7b15fcd264c25d@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > yes man thanks alot.
> > >
> > > but does it work for every device except a pc because i want to use

> > it
> > > for my gaming console.
> > >

> > > --
> > > chilloh > >

> It will work for anything you plug into it up to the power rating for
> the
> device. They are designed to power devices for a specific amount of
> time
> and won't work indefinitely as they do run off of a battery.
>
> I have 10 UPS in my home, with various power ratings, with TVs,
> computers,
> lights and even my cell phone charger plugged into them. Summer or
> winter
> we lose electricity a lot where I live.
>
> See 'Uninterruptible power supply - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninter...e_power_supply) for
> further
> discussion on UPSs.
>
> Not knowing where you are posting from or where your "friend" lives
> where
> you are going on vacation, he may or may not have access to purchase
> reliable device. In the US, there are many suppliers of UPSs, among
> them
> 'www.tripplite.com' (http://www.tripplite.com) or 'www.APC.com'
> (http://www.APC.com)

another question sorry

if you hookup a ups on a device does it automaticly measuresup the
device's voltage so there no problem will occure.

--
chilloh
LVTravel

Re: pc powertool name???

> LVTravel;936794 Wrote:
>> "chilloh" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:11f2293646b780cd0c7b15fcd264c25d@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >

>> > it

>> It will work for anything you plug into it up to the power rating for
>> the
>> device. They are designed to power devices for a specific amount of
>> time
>> and won't work indefinitely as they do run off of a battery.
>>
>> I have 10 UPS in my home, with various power ratings, with TVs,
>> computers,
>> lights and even my cell phone charger plugged into them. Summer or
>> winter
>> we lose electricity a lot where I live.
>>
>> See 'Uninterruptible power supply - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninter...e_power_supply) for
>> further
>> discussion on UPSs.
>>
>> Not knowing where you are posting from or where your "friend" lives
>> where
>> you are going on vacation, he may or may not have access to purchase
>> reliable device. In the US, there are many suppliers of UPSs, among
>> them
>> 'www.tripplite.com' (http://www.tripplite.com) or 'www.APC.com'
>> (http://www.APC.com)

> another question sorry
>
> if you hookup a ups on a device does it automaticly measuresup the
> device's voltage so there no problem will occure.
>

> --
> chilloh

A UPS device will normally deliver only one voltage as it's output. That
would be the same voltage as the standard voltage in the country where the
device is used.

Again, not knowing where the game console or UPS were purchased or what
country they will be used in there are two common voltage ranges. 110 or
220 volts and either 50 or 60 cycles AC current (don't worry about the 50-60
cycles). If you have a game console purchased in a country where 110 volts
is normal and you plug into a UPS in a country where 220 volts is normal you
will probably have a very bad experience, it will fry the game console. In
the reverse, the console just won't work.

Now, some game consoles have a universal power supply that will convert
either 110 or 220 volts to the proper amount of volts for use by the game
console. You will have to read your game console's manual, or if there is a
transformer adaptor or inline brick on the power cable, to determine the
voltage requirements and you will have to contact your friend to determine
the output voltage of his UPS (especially if you are in different countries)
to determine if they are compatible.

Also the physical plug will be different if you are using 110 and the friend
is using 220 volt systems. There are adaptors readily available to convert
the plugs to different standards. See:
http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/wwelect.htm for information about the
different plug types. DO NOT USE AN ADAPTER TO SIMPLY PLUG IN A 110 VOLT
DEVICE INTO A 220 VOLT POWER SOURCE WITHOUT USING SOME TYPE OF STEPDOWN
TRANSFORMER!

chilloh

Re: pc powertool name???

thank you for your comments.

i decided to buy a standby ups 230v. but the country i want to go to
uses 220v so is it going to work fine with 10v of difference????

[image: http://images.icecat.biz/img/norm/high/459066-3806.jpg]

--
chilloh
LVTravel

Re: pc powertool name???

> thank you for your comments.
>
> i decided to buy a standby ups 230v. but the country i want to go to
> uses 220v so is it going to work fine with 10v of difference????
>
> [image: http://images.icecat.biz/img/norm/high/459066-3806.jpg]
>

> --
> chilloh

Yes

Chuck

Re: pc powertool name???
As long as the A/C frequency is the same. UPS units are generally made for
50hz or 60hz, not both.
A few have switches to change from one frequency to another, as long as the
devices used can work with 50 or 60hz.
The switch settings should match the A/C input power frequency.