Damaged HDD?

Andreas

Damaged HDD?
I have a 400GB PATA (IDE) HDD which has been working fine. I bought an IDE
to SATA converter from ebay and tried to install on a PC that only supports
SATA drives. The PC could not see the drive even after a lot of combinations
that I tried so, I put it back into my USB case and connected to PC. After
that, the computer could not see it at all. In device manager it is seen as:
ħm ħm ħm ħmħm ħmħm ħmħm ħmħm ħm USB Drive.

The only conclusion I can draw is that this adapter has killed my drive.
Doesn anyone have different opinion?

Rick Rogers

Re: Damaged HDD?
Hi,

Certainly looks like something fried the device electronics. Have you tried
a direct IDE connection to a motherboard yet?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Andreas" <ayiangoullis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a 400GB PATA (IDE) HDD which has been working fine. I bought an IDE
>to SATA converter from ebay and tried to install on a PC that only supports
>SATA drives. The PC could not see the drive even after a lot of
>combinations that I tried so, I put it back into my USB case and connected
>to PC. After that, the computer could not see it at all. In device manager
>it is seen as: ħm ħm ħm ħmħm ħmħm ħmħm ħmħm ħm USB Drive.
>
> The only conclusion I can draw is that this adapter has killed my drive.
> Doesn anyone have different opinion?

Andreas

Re: Damaged HDD?
Ok, I connected now to a PC with IDE and the drive seems to be fine. Most
probably my USB case has a probelm, maybe the cable is torn.