Vista crashing when installing drivers for Xerox Phaser 6110MFP

Sean Forehand

Vista crashing when installing drivers for Xerox Phaser 6110MFP
Every time I try to use the installation CD which came with a Xerox Phaser
6110MFP to install the drivers and utilities software on a Dell Inspiron 530
w/ 32-bit Vista OS, the OS crashes. I have to boot up in safe mode and
restore back before the installation of the drivers. Same thing happens
when I try to use the drivers downloaded from the Xerox website. I was
able to get the printer (but not scanner) functioning by just plugging in
the USB printer cable and letting Vista autodetect the new device and
install a driver on its own, but that still leaves me without the scanner
and the utilities package. Xerox claims they don't know what's going on,
and I believe them.

Any suggestions??? Thanks for your help.

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista crashing when installing drivers for Xerox Phaser 6110MFP
Hi,

Was the system operating normally prior to the installation of the
additional hardware?
Did you install the software prior to attaching the device?
Are the software and included driver files certified as Vista compatible?
At what point of setup does the crash occur?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Sean Forehand" <stforehand@cableone.net> wrote in message
> Every time I try to use the installation CD which came with a Xerox Phaser
> 6110MFP to install the drivers and utilities software on a Dell Inspiron
> 530 w/ 32-bit Vista OS, the OS crashes. I have to boot up in safe mode
> and restore back before the installation of the drivers. Same thing
> happens when I try to use the drivers downloaded from the Xerox website.
> I was able to get the printer (but not scanner) functioning by just
> plugging in the USB printer cable and letting Vista autodetect the new
> device and install a driver on its own, but that still leaves me without
> the scanner and the utilities package. Xerox claims they don't know
> what's going on, and I believe them.
>
> Any suggestions??? Thanks for your help.

Charles W Davis

Re: Vista crashing when installing drivers for Xerox Phaser 6110MFP
You can check the drivers using Vista's Driver Verifier Manager. Read Greg
Shultz' post on this TechRepublic blog: http://tinyurl.com/7fpjlh