DVD+R discs burned in Vista can't be read on Vista machine

gamutalarm is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DVD+R discs burned in Vista can't be read on Vista machine
OK, after three days I'm stumped. So here we go...

HP Pavilion dv6000 Entertainment PC
Intel Core 2 CPU T5300 @ 1.73 GHz
2 GB RAM
WIndows Vista Home Premium
DVD RW Drive: Slimtype DVD A DS8AZH ATA

Problem:

My computer will only *occasionally* recognize a DVD burned on the same machine. Most of the DVDs are authored; a couple of them are just used for data storage of .AVI files. Most of the time it thinks it is blank (when I click on the device in Windows Explorer, I get the dreaded "Prepare this blank disc" message). If I try to browse the directory through the command prompt, it tells me the file system isn't recognized. The DVD type is DVD+R. Commercial DVDs and CDs always read just fine. On those joyous rare occasions when the disc is recognized, the file system seems OK and it reads perfectly. But then I'll re-insert it and it is once again "blank". The discs never fail to be recognized on a Linux machine, or by my DVD player. They also load fine on a friend's Vista OS.

Tried these "solutions" already:

- Ensured all Windows and HP updates are installed.

- Reinstalled driver software.

- Checked in the registry to ensure AutoPlay is set to '1' (this is a proposed fix I've seen elsewhere).

- Deleted Upper and Lower Filters for the drive in the registry.

- Burned DVDs using different software: Adobe Encore, Alcohol 120%, Corel VideoStudio, even Windows DVD Maker. No difference.

Any clues? Hints? Advice?
Chuck

Re: DVD+R discs burned in Vista can't be read on Vista machine
From you description, I'd --
Try the DVD drive in another system.
(It sounds like the drive is bad.) Cleaning may or may not help.
If not done correctly, cleaning may finish off the drive.

"gamutalarm" <gamutalarm.3lnws4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:gamutalarm.3lnws4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> OK, after three days I'm stumped. So here we go...
>
> HP Pavilion dv6000 Entertainment PC
> Intel Core 2 CPU T5300 @ 1.73 GHz
> 2 GB RAM
> WIndows Vista Home Premium
> DVD RW Drive: Slimtype DVD A DS8AZH ATA
>
> Problem:
>
> My computer will only *occasionally* recognize a DVD burned on the same
> machine. Most of the DVDs are authored; a couple of them are just used
> for data storage of .AVI files. Most of the time it thinks it is blank
> (when I click on the device in Windows Explorer, I get the dreaded
> "Prepare this blank disc" message). If I try to browse the directory
> through the command prompt, it tells me the file system isn't
> recognized. The DVD type is DVD+R. Commercial DVDs and CDs always read
> just fine. On those joyous rare occasions when the disc is recognized,
> the file system seems OK and it reads perfectly. But then I'll re-insert
> it and it is once again "blank". The discs never fail to be recognized
> on a Linux machine, or by my DVD player. They also load fine on a
> friend's Vista OS.
>
> Tried these "solutions" already:
>
> - Ensured all Windows and HP updates are installed.
>
> - Reinstalled driver software.
>
> - Checked in the registry to ensure AutoPlay is set to '1' (this is a
> proposed fix I've seen elsewhere).
>
> - Deleted Upper and Lower Filters for the drive in the registry.
>
> - Burned DVDs using different software: Adobe Encore, Alcohol 120%,
> Corel VideoStudio, even Windows DVD Maker. No difference.
>
> Any clues? Hints? Advice?
>

> --
> gamutalarm

gamutalarm is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: DVD+R discs burned in Vista can't be read on Vista machine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
From you description, I'd --
Try the DVD drive in another system.
(It sounds like the drive is bad.) Cleaning may or may not help.
If not done correctly, cleaning may finish off the drive.
Thanks, Chuck. As mentioned, I've tried it in two other systems-- one running Vista, and the other Linux. It was fine.

I've looked into the cleaning option, and given that the drive seems to like all discs except (it seems) DVD+Rs, it seems highly unlikely it would help. I'm thinking my next move is to burn a DVD+R on another machine, and see if it reads it. Or to try DVD-R (I haven't, yet). After that, I'll try cleaning.

Best,
Lara
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: DVD+R discs burned in Vista can't be read on Vista machine
"gamutalarm" <gamutalarm.3lpyci@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:gamutalarm.3lpyci@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Chuck;1129548 Wrote:
>> From you description, I'd --
>> Try the DVD drive in another system.
>> (It sounds like the drive is bad.) Cleaning may or may not help.
>> If not done correctly, cleaning may finish off the drive.
>>

> Thanks, Chuck. As mentioned, I've tried it in two other systems-- one
> running Vista, and the other Linux. It was fine.
>
> I've looked into the cleaning option, and given that the drive seems to
> like all discs except (it seems) DVD+Rs, it seems highly unlikely it
> would help. I'm thinking my next move is to burn a DVD+R on another
> machine, and see if it reads it. Or to try DVD-R (I haven't, yet). After
> that, I'll try cleaning.
>
> Best,
> Lara
>

> --
> gamutalarm

Some makes of drive do not like +R's..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Chuck

Re: DVD+R discs burned in Vista can't be read on Vista machine
The drive my have an issue similar to one I ran into with two Sony 820s.
Worked ok in Linux, were very erratic in XP.
Turned out that the drive was being ID'd as capable of a higher/faster mode
of data transfer than it was capable of (reliably) in XP-SP1.a. Really
strange, since Linux utilities showed that the drive (in Linux) ID'd
correctly and was behaving properly in all respects. These were brand new
drives, sold in retail stores. If the drive work in another system, the next
thing to think about (at least briefly) is what controllers are used. are
they the same? How about such things as oveclocking, buss speeds, and
(horrors) power supply capacity & voltages I have seen cases where the power
supply caused some strange problems, usually due to poor regulation. Some
of the faster video cards draw enough power to make inexpensive power
supplies marginal. I'd also try cleaning the connecting cable pins and
sockets with "golden grain"

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote in message
> "gamutalarm" <gamutalarm.3lpyci@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
> message news:gamutalarm.3lpyci@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>>
>> Chuck;1129548 Wrote:
>>> From you description, I'd --
>>> Try the DVD drive in another system.
>>> (It sounds like the drive is bad.) Cleaning may or may not help.
>>> If not done correctly, cleaning may finish off the drive.
>>>

>> Thanks, Chuck. As mentioned, I've tried it in two other systems-- one
>> running Vista, and the other Linux. It was fine.
>>
>> I've looked into the cleaning option, and given that the drive seems to
>> like all discs except (it seems) DVD+Rs, it seems highly unlikely it
>> would help. I'm thinking my next move is to burn a DVD+R on another
>> machine, and see if it reads it. Or to try DVD-R (I haven't, yet). After
>> that, I'll try cleaning.
>>
>> Best,
>> Lara
>>

>> --
>> gamutalarm
>>

> Some makes of drive do not like +R's..
>

> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
> How to construct a good post..
> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
> Mike's Window - My Blog..

Vinata

Re: DVD+R discs burned in Vista can't be read on Vista machine

I would suggest you should have a lens screening of DVD Drive because
many times it may happen that your DVD lens would have some dust over it
and it would not detect your Drive, you can also have a check this links
also.

*http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/897562.htm*
*http://forums.techarena.in/xp-hardware/926819.htm*
*http://forums.techarena.in/vista-har...es/897082.htm*

--
Vinata
Vinata's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/76815.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

jus_bored

Re: DVD+R discs burned in Vista can't be read on Vista machine

Exact same model and exact same problem. I had burned data dvd-r before
at 2x speed and they are read perfectly even now. But when i burn the
same company's dvds at the same speed now they are detected as 'blank'.
I am using Power2Go since i had some error with nero. I think i will try
burning the dvds at a little higher speed or just switch to a sony
dvd-r. I am not sure if its the drive since the writing process is error
free and also reading is fine as long as its not the recent discs. If
anyone finds a solution please do reply.

--
jus_bored
jus_bored's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/90758.htm