Esata drive not recognized - Arnau

N Boone

Esata drive not recognized - Arnau
Is it the disk you see in device manager, or just the eSATA card? I bought a cheap Xpresscard that comes up in device manager as a Silicon Image SiI 3531 SATA Controller. It was Vista PnP and Vista reported in device manager that it was working properly. I'd connect my eSATA drive, and the drive would spin up upon power up, but I wouldn't get a drive letter. The USB port worked fine, so I figured initially that it wasn't the drive.

I contacted the drive manufacturer and was initially told that it was probably a bad cable, bought a new cable, still nothing. Next I was told that eSATA wasn't necessarily hot swappable, and to turn everything off, turn on the drive, then boot up. THAT didn't work. So, I returned the external drive and ordered a new one. With the new drive, everything worked fine. Unless you have a bad cable, it's very possible that the eSATA controller on your drive is somehow defective.

Hope this helps.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Gordon

Re: Esata drive not recognized - Arnau
"N Boone" wrote in message news:200916143815kittykatmax@gmail.com...
> Is it the disk you see in device manager, or just the eSATA card? I
> bought a cheap Xpresscard that comes up in device manager as a Silicon
> Image SiI 3531 SATA Controller. It was Vista PnP and Vista reported in
> device manager that it was working properly. I'd connect my eSATA drive,
> and the drive would spin up upon power up, but I wouldn't get a drive
> letter. The USB port worked fine, so I figured initially that it wasn't
> the drive.
>
> I contacted the drive manufacturer and was initially told that it was
> probably a bad cable, bought a new cable, still nothing. Next I was told
> that eSATA wasn't necessarily hot swappable, and to turn everything off,
> turn on the drive, then boot up. THAT didn't work. So, I returned the
> external drive and ordered a new one. With the new drive, everything
> worked fine. Unless you have a bad cable, it's very possible that the
> eSATA controller on your drive is somehow defective.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Posted and mailed

To whom are you talking and about what?
The "forum" that you are posting in leaches off the Microsoft News servers
in order to make it look far busier than it really is. Everyone who uses the
MS News servers sees your post on it's own - we have NO IDEA what you are
talking about and to whom you are talking.

This is not your fault - the fault lies with the forum owners who do not
explain to members that their posts end up on global Usenet newsgroups.
If you MUST continue to post in this "forum" then please at least quote the
post you are replying to, and do NOT change the subject line.

You would be far better off however, using a news reader and subscribing to
these news groups direct.

Setting up Outlook Express/Windows Mail to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express/Windows Mail Newsreader
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...roupsetup.mspx

Thank you

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Richie Hardwick

Re: Esata drive not recognized - Arnau
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:56:13 -0000, "Gordon"
<gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>> EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com
>>

>Posted and mailed
>
>To whom are you talking and about what?

At least we know where those obnoxious "orphaned" posts
now.

I would ignore them... it's quite probably that nothing from the
outside is getting in.

"Richie Hardwick" <richiehardwick@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:56:13 -0000, "Gordon"
> <gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
>>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com
>>>

>>Posted and mailed
>>
>>To whom are you talking and about what?

> At least we know where those obnoxious "orphaned" posts
> now.
>
> I would ignore them... it's quite probably that nothing from the
> outside is getting in.

It is actually - they are all under "Guest" users.....but you will notice I
mail the reply as well...

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level