Using an old master HDD with XP as a USB slave on new PC

FloatDownstream

Using an old master HDD with XP as a USB slave on new PC

My old computer's power supply died, and I just got a new Dell Inspiron
530 desktop with Vista Home. The new computer has all SATA connections,
so when I wanted to transfer the data from my old all-PATA PC to the new
one, I got one of those USB PATA to SATA converters. My old slave drive
transferred its data just fine, but when I try connecting my old master
drive, it doesn't work. When I remove the jumper to set it to the slave
position, it isn't detected. When I set the jumper to the cable-select
position, the computer detects the drive for about a minute, and then
the "Found New Hardware" icon in the system tray disappears for about 30
seconds and comes back for about a minute and continues back and forth
but never settles and does not appear in My Computer. I assume the
conflict is with the old master drive having XP installed on it, but I
do not know for sure and have no idea how to resolve the problem. Any
help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

--
FloatDownstream
Kerry Brown

Re: Using an old master HDD with XP as a USB slave on new PC
Not all hard drives are compatible with all IDE to USB hardware. I have
three different IDE to USB devices and even with three different ones I
still run into the occasional drive that won't work with any of them.
Sometimes using a different USB port may help. If you are using a front USB
port try using a rear port or vice versa. If this doesn't work then you may
need to try a different IDE to USB device.

This doesn't sound like a problem caused by having XP installed on the
drive. It sounds like a hardware problem.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"FloatDownstream" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> My old computer's power supply died, and I just got a new Dell Inspiron
> 530 desktop with Vista Home. The new computer has all SATA connections,
> so when I wanted to transfer the data from my old all-PATA PC to the new
> one, I got one of those USB PATA to SATA converters. My old slave drive
> transferred its data just fine, but when I try connecting my old master
> drive, it doesn't work. When I remove the jumper to set it to the slave
> position, it isn't detected. When I set the jumper to the cable-select
> position, the computer detects the drive for about a minute, and then
> the "Found New Hardware" icon in the system tray disappears for about 30
> seconds and comes back for about a minute and continues back and forth
> but never settles and does not appear in My Computer. I assume the
> conflict is with the old master drive having XP installed on it, but I
> do not know for sure and have no idea how to resolve the problem. Any
> help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
>

> --
> FloatDownstream

bmoag

Re: Using an old master HDD with XP as a USB slave on new PC
This should work regardless of where the jumper is set as that is irrelevant
to the USB connection.
Try using the hard drive without any jumper.
Also make sure the connections in the USB housing are all tightly set. Many
of these housings, regardless of cost, are cheaply made and the housing
itself may be your problem.