Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device

VistaUser

Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device
I use a USB drive to backup my PC. I do NOT use the "schedule" feature of
my backup software because I prefer to backup manually, on my terms, when
the PC is not in use.

When I plug in the USB drive, or even from a fresh boot with the USB drive
already plugged in, I am unable to "safely remove" it. When I attempt to
remove it by using the "Safely Remove Hardware" program, I get an error
message that says:

Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device
Windows can't stop your "Generic volume" device because it is in use.
Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and try
again later.

I have gone through the Task Manager and closed all applications that are
running (usually, there are none running). I also click on the Processes
tab of the Task Manager and close any processes that I suspect may be
accessing the drive, e.g. all Symantec processes (on the hunch that perhaps
some of the Norton products such as "Antivirus" or "Save & Restore" may be
using the drive. Nothing seems to work.

There are always dozens of other processes running, most of them Windows
processes, which I am reluctant to start shutting down because I don't know
what they do and whether they are vital to Windows. For example, there are
13 instances of "svhost.exe" with user names like System, Local Service, and
Network Service - all with different amounts of memory usage.

The error message is typical of many Microsoft error messages: vague and
with no specific indication as to which program needs to be closed. As
there are no other applications running, my assumption is that there is some
background process that has locked the drive but, once again, no clue as to
which one.

Suggestions? other than to close every process - it is less time consuming
to simply shut down and reboot than to go through the task manager closing
every process, one at at time, to isolate the offending program.

Michael Walraven

Re: Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device
As I understand, 'save removal' is not possible on a a USB Mass Storage
Device AKA Hard Disk Drive.
The X:\System Volume Information area on such a drive is constantly in use
and as such will prevent removal of such a drive.

This is different from 'Removable Storage' devices (USB thumb drives, memory
cards for instance) which can be easily removed.

Michael

"VistaUser" <wpla@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I use a USB drive to backup my PC. I do NOT use the "schedule" feature of
> my backup software because I prefer to backup manually, on my terms, when
> the PC is not in use.
>
> When I plug in the USB drive, or even from a fresh boot with the USB drive
> already plugged in, I am unable to "safely remove" it. When I attempt to
> remove it by using the "Safely Remove Hardware" program, I get an error
> message that says:
>
> Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device
> Windows can't stop your "Generic volume" device because it is in use.
> Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and try
> again later.
>
> I have gone through the Task Manager and closed all applications that are
> running (usually, there are none running). I also click on the Processes
> tab of the Task Manager and close any processes that I suspect may be
> accessing the drive, e.g. all Symantec processes (on the hunch that
> perhaps some of the Norton products such as "Antivirus" or "Save &
> Restore" may be using the drive. Nothing seems to work.
>
> There are always dozens of other processes running, most of them Windows
> processes, which I am reluctant to start shutting down because I don't
> know what they do and whether they are vital to Windows. For example,
> there are 13 instances of "svhost.exe" with user names like System, Local
> Service, and Network Service - all with different amounts of memory usage.
>
> The error message is typical of many Microsoft error messages: vague and
> with no specific indication as to which program needs to be closed. As
> there are no other applications running, my assumption is that there is
> some background process that has locked the drive but, once again, no clue
> as to which one.
>
> Suggestions? other than to close every process - it is less time consuming
> to simply shut down and reboot than to go through the task manager closing
> every process, one at at time, to isolate the offending program.

Clark

Re: Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device
Mine did that once because I was picking one of the 3 items presented in the
window. Try just hitting the stop button when that window comes up and
don't pick just one device.

Clark

"VistaUser" <wpla@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I use a USB drive to backup my PC. I do NOT use the "schedule" feature of
> my backup software because I prefer to backup manually, on my terms, when
> the PC is not in use.
>
> When I plug in the USB drive, or even from a fresh boot with the USB drive
> already plugged in, I am unable to "safely remove" it. When I attempt to
> remove it by using the "Safely Remove Hardware" program, I get an error
> message that says:
>
> Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device
> Windows can't stop your "Generic volume" device because it is in use.
> Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and try
> again later.
>
> I have gone through the Task Manager and closed all applications that are
> running (usually, there are none running). I also click on the Processes
> tab of the Task Manager and close any processes that I suspect may be
> accessing the drive, e.g. all Symantec processes (on the hunch that
> perhaps some of the Norton products such as "Antivirus" or "Save &
> Restore" may be using the drive. Nothing seems to work.
>
> There are always dozens of other processes running, most of them Windows
> processes, which I am reluctant to start shutting down because I don't
> know what they do and whether they are vital to Windows. For example,
> there are 13 instances of "svhost.exe" with user names like System, Local
> Service, and Network Service - all with different amounts of memory usage.
>
> The error message is typical of many Microsoft error messages: vague and
> with no specific indication as to which program needs to be closed. As
> there are no other applications running, my assumption is that there is
> some background process that has locked the drive but, once again, no clue
> as to which one.
>
> Suggestions? other than to close every process - it is less time consuming
> to simply shut down and reboot than to go through the task manager closing
> every process, one at at time, to isolate the offending program.

VistaUser

Re: Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device
That's not a solution. I had tried that after cycling through all the
options. The "safe removal" just seems impossible, especially if any
program uses the drive. Even after the programs that access the drive are
shut down, the message that "it is in use..." is displayed.

"Clark" <no-spam@tx.rr.com> wrote in message
> Mine did that once because I was picking one of the 3 items presented in
> the window. Try just hitting the stop button when that window comes up
> and don't pick just one device.
>
> Clark
>
> "VistaUser" <wpla@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I use a USB drive to backup my PC. I do NOT use the "schedule" feature of
>> my backup software because I prefer to backup manually, on my terms, when
>> the PC is not in use.
>>
>> When I plug in the USB drive, or even from a fresh boot with the USB
>> drive
>> already plugged in, I am unable to "safely remove" it. When I attempt to
>> remove it by using the "Safely Remove Hardware" program, I get an error
>> message that says:
>>
>> Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device
>> Windows can't stop your "Generic volume" device because it is in use.
>> Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and try
>> again later.
>>
>> I have gone through the Task Manager and closed all applications that are
>> running (usually, there are none running). I also click on the Processes
>> tab of the Task Manager and close any processes that I suspect may be
>> accessing the drive, e.g. all Symantec processes (on the hunch that
>> perhaps some of the Norton products such as "Antivirus" or "Save &
>> Restore" may be using the drive. Nothing seems to work.
>>
>> There are always dozens of other processes running, most of them Windows
>> processes, which I am reluctant to start shutting down because I don't
>> know what they do and whether they are vital to Windows. For example,
>> there are 13 instances of "svhost.exe" with user names like System, Local
>> Service, and Network Service - all with different amounts of memory
>> usage.
>>
>> The error message is typical of many Microsoft error messages: vague and
>> with no specific indication as to which program needs to be closed. As
>> there are no other applications running, my assumption is that there is
>> some background process that has locked the drive but, once again, no
>> clue as to which one.
>>
>> Suggestions? other than to close every process - it is less time
>> consuming to simply shut down and reboot than to go through the task
>> manager closing every process, one at at time, to isolate the offending
>> program.

Clark

> That's not a solution. I had tried that after cycling through all the
> options. The "safe removal" just seems impossible, especially if any
> program uses the drive. Even after the programs that access the drive are
> shut down, the message that "it is in use..." is displayed.
>
> "Clark" <no-spam@tx.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Mine did that once because I was picking one of the 3 items presented in
>> the window. Try just hitting the stop button when that window comes up
>> and don't pick just one device.
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "VistaUser" <wpla@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I use a USB drive to backup my PC. I do NOT use the "schedule" feature
>>>of
>>> my backup software because I prefer to backup manually, on my terms,
>>> when
>>> the PC is not in use.
>>>
>>> When I plug in the USB drive, or even from a fresh boot with the USB
>>> drive
>>> already plugged in, I am unable to "safely remove" it. When I attempt
>>> remove it by using the "Safely Remove Hardware" program, I get an error
>>> message that says:

My drive just did the same as yours. I was looking at the Device Manager,
and I noticed under the Disk Drive - properties - policies, there is an
option for "Optimize for quick removal", which says you do not have to use
the Safe Removal icon. I would still be concerned about making sure the
drive was not running when I removed the device or unpowered it, but maybe
it works like it says.

Clark
>>> Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device
>>> Windows can't stop your "Generic volume" device because it is in use.
>>> Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and try
>>> again later.
>>>
>>> I have gone through the Task Manager and closed all applications that
>>> are running (usually, there are none running). I also click on the
>>> Processes tab of the Task Manager and close any processes that I suspect
>>> may be accessing the drive, e.g. all Symantec processes (on the hunch
>>> that perhaps some of the Norton products such as "Antivirus" or "Save &
>>> Restore" may be using the drive. Nothing seems to work.
>>>
>>> There are always dozens of other processes running, most of them Windows
>>> processes, which I am reluctant to start shutting down because I don't
>>> know what they do and whether they are vital to Windows. For example,
>>> there are 13 instances of "svhost.exe" with user names like System,
>>> Local Service, and Network Service - all with different amounts of
>>> memory usage.
>>>
>>> The error message is typical of many Microsoft error messages: vague and
>>> with no specific indication as to which program needs to be closed. As
>>> there are no other applications running, my assumption is that there is
>>> some background process that has locked the drive but, once again, no
>>> clue as to which one.
>>>
>>> Suggestions? other than to close every process - it is less time
>>> consuming to simply shut down and reboot than to go through the task
>>> manager closing every process, one at at time, to isolate the offending
>>> program.

bldblu

Re: Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device

Unbelievable,,how some people overthink things,,and try to use big
words,,This is one of the simplest fixes ever,,control panel/disk
drives/properties of your model # device/policies/check either optimize
for quick removal,,or optimize for performance where you can then use
the safe removal tool. If you want to just unplug it at any time,,check
the box optimize for quick removal,,restart your computer,,and your good
to go

peace out

lol shutting down processes,and process trees till you find your
designated drive,,are you people kidding,,or what,,lol

--
bldblu
bldblu's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/bldblu.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

jolie4u

Re: Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device

yes it is unbelievable that you can say its so easy....well its
not...the optimize option is shaded in grey and will not checkmark....

--
jolie4u
jolie4u's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/156623.htm