have only on hard c

nibal

have only on hard c
i have a new laptop, windows vista, but has only one hard drive c 250 G,
I want this one to be three c, d and e. Is there any possible and the most
suitable method to do that without hurting the laptop.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: have only on hard c
"nibal" <nibal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have a new laptop, windows vista, but has only one hard drive c 250 G,
> I want this one to be three c, d and e. Is there any possible and the most
> suitable method to do that without hurting the laptop.

You need to use a partition manager. I use Acronis Disk Director. There are
others..

www.acronis.com

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Louie Kapp

Re: have only on hard c
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 02:02:01 -0800, nibal
<nibal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i have a new laptop, windows vista, but has only one hard drive c 250 G,
>I want this one to be three c, d and e. Is there any possible and the most
>suitable method to do that without hurting the laptop.

You need a third-party partition manager. Here's a link to a free
one:

http://shareware.pcmag.com/product.p...SiteID%5Dpcmag

DL

Re: have only on hard c
Since you only have a single drive partitioning it is not going to give any
advantage to using only C
If the drive fails so do all your partitions, if you keep vista seperate,
and load apps on a seperate partition, if you then reload vista you will
still have to reload all apps

"nibal" <nibal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have a new laptop, windows vista, but has only one hard drive c 250 G,
> I want this one to be three c, d and e. Is there any possible and the most
> suitable method to do that without hurting the laptop.

John Barnett MVP

Re: have only on hard c
The best practise is to use third party partitioning software (Vista does
have its own, but you need to 'shrink' the C: drive first and,
unfortunately, the shrink option is very temperamental in Vista, hence the
suggestion to use third party software.) I would suggest Acronis Disk
Director or, perhaps, Paragon Disk manager.

While I too have various partitions on my one hard drive, if you are
planning on backing up your hard drive or having a separate partition for
important data you would be better off going for a USB removable hard drive.
If you keep backups etc on your main hard drive, even if they are on a
separate partition, and the hard drive fails you have lost everything.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org