Lost CD/DVD Drives and Drivers

Rich Greene

Lost CD/DVD Drives and Drivers
After reading this newsgroup, I haven't found a solution. Therefore here
goes.

My desktop machine recognizes two CD/DVD drives in BIOS, but that's all.
They don't show up in the device manager or Windows Explorer. It's as if
nothing at all is there. I figure I need to reinstall some drivers but
don't know
where to grab them. I'm using VISTA ULTIMATE with the latest SP.

Short of removing them and installing new ones, I would rather try some
fixes.

I hooked up my HP external CD/DVD and it also isn't recognized. I can't
install the installation CD since I don't have a drive. HELP.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Fortunately for me
I have a top of the line notebook that's actually a desktop replacement.

Peter Foldes

Re: Lost CD/DVD Drives and Drivers

Rich

Follow the fix and ignore everything else

Peter

"Rich Greene" <rich(nospam)@richgreene.com> wrote in message
> After reading this newsgroup, I haven't found a solution. Therefore here goes.
>
> My desktop machine recognizes two CD/DVD drives in BIOS, but that's all.
> They don't show up in the device manager or Windows Explorer. It's as if
> nothing at all is there. I figure I need to reinstall some drivers but don't know
> where to grab them. I'm using VISTA ULTIMATE with the latest SP.
>
> Short of removing them and installing new ones, I would rather try some fixes.
>
> I hooked up my HP external CD/DVD and it also isn't recognized. I can't
> install the installation CD since I don't have a drive. HELP.
>
> Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Fortunately for me
> I have a top of the line notebook that's actually a desktop replacement.

Rich Greene

Re: Lost CD/DVD Drives and Drivers
Thanks a million Peter. I'll try it out later on tonight. Looks like it
may work.
I remember trying to load up Virtual Disk so I could run games without the
original CD inserted. I lost the drives shortly thereafter. I untilled the
program
and it didn't restore my drives. I'm quite sure that's what happened. When
I look
at the list of drivers installed for the drives, there are about six of
them. Only ONE
of them will bring my drives back, but I don't know which one. So, I'll
follow
your instructions.

> Rich
>
> Follow the fix and ignore everything else

> Peter

> "Rich Greene" <rich(nospam)@richgreene.com> wrote in message
>> After reading this newsgroup, I haven't found a solution. Therefore here
>> goes.
>>
>> My desktop machine recognizes two CD/DVD drives in BIOS, but that's all.
>> They don't show up in the device manager or Windows Explorer. It's as if
>> nothing at all is there. I figure I need to reinstall some drivers but
>> don't know
>> where to grab them. I'm using VISTA ULTIMATE with the latest SP.
>>
>> Short of removing them and installing new ones, I would rather try some
>> fixes.
>>
>> I hooked up my HP external CD/DVD and it also isn't recognized. I can't
>> install the installation CD since I don't have a drive. HELP.
>>
>> Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Fortunately for me
>> I have a top of the line notebook that's actually a desktop replacement.

kennethmunn

Re: Lost CD/DVD Drives and Drivers
"Rich Greene" <rich(nospam)@richgreene.com> wrote in message
> After reading this newsgroup, I haven't found a solution. Therefore here
> goes.
>
> My desktop machine recognizes two CD/DVD drives in BIOS, but that's all.
> They don't show up in the device manager or Windows Explorer. It's as if
> nothing at all is there. I figure I need to reinstall some drivers but
> don't know
> where to grab them. I'm using VISTA ULTIMATE with the latest SP.
>
> Short of removing them and installing new ones, I would rather try some
> fixes.
>
> I hooked up my HP external CD/DVD and it also isn't recognized. I can't
> install the installation CD since I don't have a drive. HELP.
>
> Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Fortunately for me
> I have a top of the line notebook that's actually a desktop replacement.

Excert from MICROSOFT Help and Support number 314060.
This is for XP but it worked with my Viata Ultimate 64bit.

First Backup registry - not really necessary but just in case, etc.

Method 2: Manually delete the registry entries
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to
modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the
registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps
carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.
Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information
about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article
number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore
the registry in Windows
Log on to Windows by using an account that has administrator rights and
permissions. Then, follow these steps.
Step 1: Start Registry Editor
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor
starts.
Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.

Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the
UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not
UpperFilters.bak.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the
deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?

The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next
step.
Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the
LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not
LowerFilters.bak.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the
deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
8. Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart the computer
If a CD recording program no longer works after you restart the computer,
you must reinstall the CD recording program

Good Luck,
Kenneth Munn